Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are pay rates slowly dropping? honeypot

Author Topic: Are pay rates slowly dropping?  (Read 101134 times)

BetaAnt

Re: Are pay rates slowly dropping?
« Reply #125 on: Mar 29, 2016, 06:00 »
Chicago Union Laborer 20 yrs - $42/ hr w/ benefits.

If you don't make nuclear welds, there is no bi-annual certification. Construction welders don't have the same requirements as nuclear.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #126 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:12 »

If you don't make nuclear welds, there is no bi-annual certification. Construction welders don't have the same requirements as nuclear.

If they are making welds covered by ASME, yes they do. Whether the welders are working jobs commercial, industrial, or nuclear. All have to test to be qualified and if they don't utilize the process within 6 months they have to recertify. The nuclear industry didn't create the 6 month rule. It is controlled by ASME. Additionally the same rule applies to structural welding covered under AWS D1.1 (bridges, buildings, etc.).

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #127 on: Mar 30, 2016, 10:53 »

If they are making welds covered by ASME, yes they do. Whether the welders are working jobs commercial, industrial, or nuclear. All have to test to be qualified and if they don't utilize the process within 6 months they have to recertify. The nuclear industry didn't create the 6 month rule. It is controlled by ASME. Additionally the same rule applies to structural welding covered under AWS D1.1 (bridges, buildings, etc.).

recertify every nine years

certification maintenance every six months

endorsements get complicated

after that, well, I'm no certified welder, but I did sleep at the Holiday Inn within the last 9 years and the last 6 months, and I highly endorse them :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #128 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:20 »
Does any of the readers of this thread have an elegant equation to show the decline of the HP technician pay rate declination over the years since the wage became stagnant, using the COL as the variable?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #129 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:34 »
Does any of the readers of this thread have an elegant equation to show the decline of the HP technician pay rate declination over the years since the wage became stagnant, using the COL as the variable?

it's called a depression curve,...

it's buried somewhere in my other 2TB of odd knowledge gleaned over 28 years of working with PCs,...

you do not really want to see it,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Chimera

« Reply #130 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:12 »

Wouldn't a graph of the decline of the pay rate declination look like a positive curve?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #131 on: Apr 01, 2016, 08:52 »
aye ain't elegant, butt fingered out an equation four yins. eye yam thinking that using an inflation rate wood bee moor simple than the complexities of the c.o.l. fore formula construction.

a=a(original)x(1-inflation rate as decimal)e t

ware:
a is the amount of hourly pay
a(original) is the amount of hourly pay at the start of time frame
e indicates exponent
t is time in years of the time frame
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2016, 09:46 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #132 on: Apr 01, 2016, 03:25 »
Or you could just use this:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=28&year1=2008&year2=2016

$28/hr in 2008 is equal to $30.84 now.  So... you would need a raise of about 10% over 8 years.  Inflation has not changed much in that time.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2016, 03:40 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #133 on: Apr 01, 2016, 04:43 »
Or you could just use this:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=28&year1=2008&year2=2016

knot the same fun factor....

$28/hr in 2008 is equal to $30.84 now.  So... you would need a raise of about 10% over 8 years.  Inflation has not changed much in that time.
pay gone up 10% inn those ate years?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Apr 01, 2016, 06:18 »
pay gone up 10% inn those ate years?

Depends, if you are at a Utility for a contractor, or not.  Utility Contractors... probably no.  Anything else, probably so.

I know most of the DOE sites pay better than that.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #135 on: Apr 01, 2016, 09:07 »
aye ain't elegant, butt fingered out an equation four yins. eye yam thinking that using an inflation rate wood bee moor simple than the complexities of the c.o.l. fore formula construction.

a=a(original)x(1-inflation rate as decimal)e t

ware:
a is the amount of hourly pay
a(original) is the amount of hourly pay at the start of time frame
e indicates exponent
t is time in years of the time frame

You are correct, the elegance isn't there. However the operation is so I'll take what is offered. The old AsubO formula? Nice approach for this forum. I was hoping for something with COL, maybe CPI variables incorporated, but this works fine.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #136 on: Apr 02, 2016, 02:32 »

like 1.1% a year, less than the low inflation rates in the last ate. looking at the last  fifteen will curl yore hare.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #137 on: Apr 02, 2016, 03:01 »
like 1.1% a year, less than the low inflation rates in the last ate. looking at the last  fifteen will curl yore hare.
no surprises;

the number of commercial nukes are dwindling,...

highly experienced personnel stay in the workforce longer,...

the USN still pumps better than 1000 new bodies into the pool every year,...

the "stimulus spawn" was another fire hose dumping of bodies into the pool,...

there is that bow wave of retirements coming up, but you're in it,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #138 on: Apr 02, 2016, 04:30 »
no surprises;

there is that bow wave of retirements coming up, but you're in it,... :P ;) :) 8)

surfing that wave. bee nice two no theirs enough mass behind two ensure vector maintenance.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: Apr 02, 2016, 09:54 »

Incorrect

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?