Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke ET1 Separating honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke ET1 Separating  (Read 12738 times)

Offline M.S. McLean

• Very Lite User
Nuke ET1 Separating
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:55 »
Hello-

I'm a Nuke ET1 who will be separating in mid 2013 after 6 years.  I will qualify PPWS on the way out, but after reading through a lot of threads I see that won't be a significant factor due to lack of watchstanding.  Really, I would be counting on my time as a qualified RO/RT as any relevant experience.  I have already have a resume and started a LinkedIn profile, but I'm mostly looking for advice on where to proceed from here. I am attempting to concentrate my search in the SE for now, but time will dictate my willingness to relocate to other regions.   I have read a lot of threads and will be attempting to summarize this information for dissemination to some other sailors who are separating as well.  Now for some questions.

I have noticed the Navy Nuke mentality (mostly affirmed by recruiters) that they should be paid 6 figures upon entering the civilian world, and I understand that is a reasonable salary for licensed SRO's, but what is a reasonable salary for an AO/NLO? An I&C Tech?  An Instant SRO Trainee?

What is an appropriate timeline for someone starting as an NLO before moving on to RO? SRO?

Has anyone had any experience with the Power4Vets program as available at http://www.incsys.com/power4vets/index.htm? 

The Navy and US Nuclear companies have signed an agreement to exchange contact info (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/navy-us-nuclear-companies-sign-153459412.html). This may be better suited for TAPS class or my CCC, but has anyone benefitted from this program and how can we ensure our contact info has been distributed?

Thanks in advance for any information, and if you have anything else pertinent to job searching or transitioning that I may not think of; I would be much obliged if you would share. 

Thanks again,
M.S. McLean

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
Re: Nuke ET1 Separating
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 02:30 »
Welcome to Nukeworker, McLean. I have recently taken the same path you are now on. About 5 years ago, I was just getting out of the Navy with nearly the same circumstances.

As for where and when you could get hired... Well, that's up to you and your job search. When I got out, I was putting out ~10 applications a day for months. Good luck on that end.

I don't know about 'should', but I went the direct SRO route and have not seen a year go by that didn't yield six figures. As for the direct SRO path; I'd avoid it. Had I to do it over again, I would have gone the NLO, RO, then SRO path. It takes a bit longer, but you will be a MUCH stronger SRO for it. Over the last year I've been doing my best to get out in the field to fill in the gaps that my training to obtain a licence has left, and it is doubtful I will ever understand the plant as well as I would have going the long route.

If you do go the NLO -> RO -> SRO route, it would take you ~2 years from hire date to be considered for RO and about 2 to 3 years as an RO for consideration for SRO. Many who think to take this route find that the life of non-management is preferable, but those that do continue up the chain are some of the best SROs at the site. Also, it is worth noting (at least at my site) the company is always wanting to advance more NLOs to RO and ROs to SRO.

Also, if you take the RO -> SRO route, when it comes time to negotiate your salary and benefits you have a position to leverage from. The direct SRO route is one where you get what they offer. (Usually ~90K with adjustments for cost of living in the area and a sign on bonus)

I hope this information is useful. Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:57 »
....As for the direct SRO path; I'd avoid it. Had I to do it over again, I would have gone the NLO, RO, then SRO path.....

That has been repeated several times, by different operators, over many years, on these boards,...

I'm just sayin',... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:40 »
Hey boss,

As you noticed, you will not be competitive for an SRO position. Most utilities have phased out hiring "Direct RO".  What this means, you will be EXTREMELY desirable to start as an NLO. You can pretty much choose which plant you wish to hire into (pending your interview persona of course.)  What does that mean? That means you will get to start at a "measly" 30+$ an hour (pending location) , + moving bonus (pending utility and location), + over time. You will make more as an NLO then you did in the navy... You will spend 3+ years   as a qualified watchstander, then you will have the capability to become an instant SRO, or move into RO (pending job performance, and how you do in quals.)

Word of caution, do NOT "exaggerate" your time as a watch sup. A guy relatively recently is enjoying some time in prison because he said he did 24 months as a PPWS watch stander, when he only did 18-20. Spend the time learning the plant, and become a more effective SRO, you will be better off in the long run.

Good luck! Lots of good help on this site, use it!

Offline M.S. McLean

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:41 »
Thanks for the response. It does seem to me that it would be the best way to progress, especially since my intention is to do this a career. Would this be akin to going enlisted vs officer though?  Would going to the long route (NLO>RO>SRO) vs Direct SRO be more of a personal responsiblilty choice?   I would consider myself blue collar, so I can understand the non-management mentality; but does that mean the quality of life as a NLO or RO is better than a SRO?  How does that compare to maintenance techs? Training personnel?  I'm not trying to do a bunch of run on topics here, but I really don't know what I don't know.  Any insight into what I should be looking in to or preparing for?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:45 »
Thanks for the response. It does seem to me that it would be the best way to progress, especially since my intention is to do this a career. Would this be akin to going enlisted vs officer though?  Would going to the long route (NLO>RO>SRO) vs Direct SRO be more of a personal responsiblilty choice?   I would consider myself blue collar, so I can understand the non-management mentality; but does that mean the quality of life as a NLO or RO is better than a SRO?  How does that compare to maintenance techs? Training personnel?  I'm not trying to do a bunch of run on topics here, but I really don't know what I don't know.  Any insight into what I should be looking in to or preparing for?

If someone will take you for SRO, go for it. You're an ET so you can qualify for SRO as a 6 an outer. I know 2.

This whole noble "nlo-sro" route isn't as glamorous as some make it.

Some of the most incompetent SROs I know were NLOs.

The NLOs in my class said that being an NLO did nothing to help them in class.

See? We all have are personal stories. Just do what's right for YOU.

There is no factual data to support that utilities have phased out direct SRO, either. I know an EWS did lie about his time on watch, but I've not heard that he's spending time in prison either. I highly doubt it.

And this has all been covered many times before. Search.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 09:47 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:49 »
I haven't spent enough time in the industry to answer that question. What I do know, life is better outside, regardless of your position.

As a six an out, you really aren't bringing THAT much to the table, I'd consider sticking to NLO. You will have PLENTY of opportunities to make your way elsewhere my friend. NLO opens a LOT of doors, training, management, contract positions, etc... I'd say at least TRY OUT being an NLO, if you don't like it, you can do other things!  As Higgs stated though, if you get offered an SRO position, you can try that as well, worst that happens, you make some good money and start as an NLO somewhere else.

Higgs -> He was an entergy employee. I do not know specifics, but he was mentioned more then once while I was at RBS. I may be passing on "bad info", but I was informed someone was audited by the NRC and got a prison sentence from it.  I also said "Direct RO", not "Direct SRO"... every utility is still hiring direct SRO's....

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 09:50 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:51 »
I haven't spent enough time in the industry to answer that question. What I do know, life is better outside, regardless of your position.

As a six an out, you really aren't bringing THAT much to the table, I'd consider sticking to NLO. You will have PLENTY of opportunities to make your way elsewhere my friend. NLO opens a LOT of doors, training, management, contract positions, etc... I'd say at least TRY OUT being an NLO, if you don't like it, you can do other things!  As Higgs stated though, if you get offered an SRO position, you can try that as well, worst that happens, you make some good money and start as an NLO somewhere else.

Higgs -> He was an entergy employee. I do not know specifics, but he was mentioned more then once while I was at RBS. I may be passing on "bad info", but I was informed someone was audited by the NRC and got a prison sentence from it.

I agree with this. You ARE just a 6 an outher, regardless of what you can qualify to apply for. I wouldn't set your sights too high, but don't let that stop you from applying to everything. Realistically though, outside of Exelon, no one is going to hire you for SRO.

About the guy, yeah, I don't know all the details either.

Ah, missed the S.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2012, 09:52 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:56 »
I agree with this. You ARE just a 6 an outher, regardless of what you can qualify to apply for. I wouldn't set your sights too high, but don't let that stop you from applying to everything. Realistically though, outside of Exelon, no one is going to hire you for SRO.

About the guy, yeah, I don't know all the details either.

Ah, missed the S.

Justin

Man, not just me, but a few navy guys I'm friends with have been passed over by Exelon.  They seem to be the "pickiest" out of the bunch. Are they really hiring navy SRO's still? I know Entergy is kinda "shying" away from that, due to failure rates.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 »
I don't know if they are or not..., but when I was there, there was one in my class and there is that one that stops by this board.

Justin

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:38 »

Most utilities have phased out hiring "Direct RO".

Really? It was just the last ACAD that allowed that very animal.

In fact MOST UTILITIES (sic) have not had such an animal as a program much less phase it out.

IIRC I know one nuclear utility that at this very moment is lookin for Direct RO's.

Offline SA82

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:23 »
Has anyone had any experience with the Power4Vets program as available at http://www.incsys.com/power4vets/index.htm? 

I completed the Power4Vets program last year while on shore duty and I separated this summer. It was easy to start and it helped me pass the NERC system operator exam. I interviewed for an NLO position, an electrical maintenance position and a system operator job. Although I was offered the NLO position, I decided to take the system operator job and I have been very happy with it. Having the NERC certification definitely helped me get hired and made it easier for me to complete my qualifications when I started. The shift-work schedules for NERC operators are very similar to nuclear plants and the starting pay is around 80k (more with OT). The benefits are good too.

I would recommend completing the program and keeping your options open when you job hunt. 

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 »
Go NERC.

So far as I know the utilities that are hiring direct RO are still doing so.

What many are downgrading are Direct SRO or they are tightening the requirements.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2012, 02:08 »
sadly, even those

N eeds
E xtra
R evenue
C onstantly

jobs are few and far between. Study hard and search even harder!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2012, 04:05 »
One hiring manager I talked to said they focus on the highest qualified AND people likely to stay.  Who knows when things will heat up again and people will be looking to move up or move out.  If I'm hiring for ops...are you going to stay in ops, and are you going to stay with our company?

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:43 »
It seems to me that the Instant SRO program is more of a stopgap measure more than anything else, and that being so I think the Instant opportunities will dry up as time goes on. I think that's going to really apply to the ex Navy folks, as their pass rates just haven't been extraordinarily high.

We've had an instant program for a while, but until recently the majority of the instants were NLOs who met the requirements for SRO.

As far as the OP goes, I'd take the SRO job if offered...  Keep in mind that you'll have a lot of work in front of you, and that there isn't much time to relax.  It's at least 2 solid years of work, study, and stress.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline BKR-nuke

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2012, 09:21 »
I just got out of the Navy in October (I did 8 years as a nuke ET). I got hired at an entergy plant as a instant SRO, starting right about 6 figures. I start class in April, and the other 5 guys in my class are all ex-navy instant-SROs (2 MMs, 1 EM, and 1 officer). I've heard both sides of the instant SRO vs. NLO to SRO debate. A lot of the SROs i've been getting to know were instants and they don't regret it all. Pretty much everyone I talk to agrees that license class would be easier with NLO/RO experience but that doesn't mean its the preferred route. I guess I'll find out shortly though once I get going in license class.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:37 »
I just got out of the Navy in October (I did 8 years as a nuke ET). I got hired at an entergy plant as a instant SRO, starting right about 6 figures. I start class in April, and the other 5 guys in my class are all ex-navy instant-SROs (2 MMs, 1 EM, and 1 officer). I've heard both sides of the instant SRO vs. NLO to SRO debate. A lot of the SROs i've been getting to know were instants and they don't regret it all. Pretty much everyone I talk to agrees that license class would be easier with NLO/RO experience but that doesn't mean its the preferred route. I guess I'll find out shortly though once I get going in license class.

Of course it's the preferred route. If the utilities hadn't mismanaged hiring in the late 90s there would be no Ex Navy Direct SROs now.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?