Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What are my Chances?
honeypot

Author Topic: What are my Chances?  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Kinamyen

• Lurker
What are my Chances?
« on: Dec 25, 2012, 04:05 »
Hello all

Been lurking awhile, figured I would make a post to gauge reaction and ask a question. I have worked in the nuclear fuel industry for about 10 years as a HP. I have a BA in System Security and am working towards an associates in Radiation Protection Technology that should be completed next year. I also will have a NEI-NUCP certificate for making above 80% in all classes.

I want to transition into the Power Plant industry and have several near me living in South Carolina. Someone suggested I should also get a NRRPT certificate also when I finish school. Do you think it is wise to get this after graduation, or do you guys think it will be useless?

What are the chances of getting into a Power Plant with my education and background?

Thanks

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: What are my Chances?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:55 »
Hello all

Been lurking awhile, figured I would make a post to gauge reaction and ask a question. I have worked in the nuclear fuel industry for about 10 years as a HP. I have a BA in System Security and am working towards an associates in Radiation Protection Technology that should be completed next year. I also will have a NEI-NUCP certificate for making above 80% in all classes.

I want to transition into the Power Plant industry and have several near me living in South Carolina. Someone suggested I should also get a NRRPT certificate also when I finish school. Do you think it is wise to get this after graduation, or do you guys think it will be useless?

What are the chances of getting into a Power Plant with my education and background?

Thanks

NRRPT - It never hurts to have more certs...go ahead and take it while your knowledge is fresh.  There are still some DOE sites where NRRPT will get you in the door without previous DOE certification.  And, if you end up working as a contractor, there are commercial sites where NRRPT gets you a bit more money.

If plants need technicians, your education and background would get you considered.  If they have enough positions to fill (ie - during an outage), you would probably get hired as a contractor.  However, the odds of you getting hired to a house position without previous commercial experience are extremely low...esp. with the current glut of technicians.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2012, 05:04 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Content1

Re: What are my Chances?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:06 »
Hello all

Thanks

This was not clear in your post, but I assume you are seeking an RP position. Contrary to the previous post, 10 years as an HP, having a degree, and passing the NUF would seem to be all positive to get a position as an HP, even in a flooded market. But maybe your decision on nuclear power plant should be expanded to include shipyards. I had heard the former shipyard worker at Newport News they hire people right out of the Navy and put them through training. So if your goal is to be a house tech you may just have to expand your search to anywhere in the country and be ready to accept what's out there as your first house job. You didn't say your age, but if you are in your 30s a house job is the way to go. Old codgers like me tend to prefer to be contractors where children are grown in the ability to travel is not a negative to our family.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?