Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Survive nuke school? College grad. Possible Legal Issue

Author Topic: Survive nuke school? College grad. Possible Legal Issue  (Read 12893 times)

Offline Montauknightsky

• Very Lite User
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to open my thread!

I searched the forum for a similar situation, but was unable to find one, so I thought I would just ask myself.

I am looking to join the Navy Nuke program and I am currently 22 years old. I am a senior in college, graduating within the year with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and a minor in Psychology. My GPA is about a 3.5 and I typically perform very well in school, and performed even better in high school.

I recently took a practice ASVAB with a Navy recruiter and scored a 97. With any luck, and according to what they tell me, I should perform similarly if not better on the actual ASVAB. The recruiters I met with immediately suggested that I attempt to join the Nuke program because of my interest in physics and astrophysics. I am very interested in joining the program.

My only concern is about my potential to succeed in the academic portion of the program.

In high school and college, I have taken courses in algebra, advanced algebra, honors trigonometry, honors physics, geometry, college algebra, college trigonometry, college statistics, two courses in college chemistry, two courses in college biology (including genetics), and even two years of spanish (I doubt this is relevant, just describing my propensity towards scholastic achievement). I have NOT taken a course in calculus. However, within all the courses I have taken, I have received As and Bs, with a few Cs here and there.

So, my questions are:

First: Is the practice ASVAB, which I've now taken twice (first time being a 97 score, and secondly a 390-425 score not sure how to interpret), a strong indication of how I will perform on the actual ASVAB? I plan on studying stringently beforehand by the way.

Second: With the courses I have previously taken, would you expect me to succeed in the academic program? I definitely have the motivation, ambition, and perseverance to give it all my time, I'm just concerned that the concepts could perhaps be beyond my skill level. I'm not trying to doubt myself; I'm simply curious as to how advanced the topics are, and how well I would perform in regards to them.

My biggest fear is enlisting, gaining acceptance to the program, trying my best to succeed but still failing at comprehending the concepts taught in the schooling portion.
TL;DR: With my prior education (BA from 4-year uni), and a 97 on the practice ASVAB, should I succeed at the academic portion of the Nuke program?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read my post. Regards,
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2013, 05:41 by Rennhack »

MacGyver

Re: Will I survive nuke school? College grad here.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:43 »
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to open my thread!

I searched the forum for a similar situation, but was unable to find one, so I thought I would just ask myself.

I am looking to join the Navy Nuke program and I am currently 22 years old. I am a senior in college, graduating within the year with a B.A. in Criminal Justice and a minor in Psychology. My GPA is about a 3.5 and I typically perform very well in school, and performed even better in high school.

I recently took a practice ASVAB with a Navy recruiter and scored a 97. With any luck, and according to what they tell me, I should perform similarly if not better on the actual ASVAB. The recruiters I met with immediately suggested that I attempt to join the Nuke program because of my interest in physics and astrophysics. I am very interested in joining the program.

My only concern is about my potential to succeed in the academic portion of the program.

In high school and college, I have taken courses in algebra, advanced algebra, honors trigonometry, honors physics, geometry, college algebra, college trigonometry, college statistics, two courses in college chemistry, two courses in college biology (including genetics), and even two years of spanish (I doubt this is relevant, just describing my propensity towards scholastic achievement). I have NOT taken a course in calculus. However, within all the courses I have taken, I have received As and Bs, with a few Cs here and there.

So, my questions are:

First: Is the practice ASVAB, which I've now taken twice (first time being a 97 score, and secondly a 390-425 score not sure how to interpret), a strong indication of how I will perform on the actual ASVAB? I plan on studying stringently beforehand by the way.

Second: With the courses I have previously taken, would you expect me to succeed in the academic program? I definitely have the motivation, ambition, and perseverance to give it all my time, I'm just concerned that the concepts could perhaps be beyond my skill level. I'm not trying to doubt myself; I'm simply curious as to how advanced the topics are, and how well I would perform in regards to them.

My biggest fear is enlisting, gaining acceptance to the program, trying my best to succeed but still failing at comprehending the concepts taught in the schooling portion.
TL;DR: With my prior education (BA from 4-year uni), and a 97 on the practice ASVAB, should I succeed at the academic portion of the Nuke program?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read my post. Regards,

Your CHANCES are 50/50.  You either pass or you don't.

Your probability of passing are as good as the effort you put into the program.

Your college education has not prepared you for passing.

As a former enlisted nav-nuke-subs when the pass rate was maybe 10% I would say you'll do fine in todays nav.  ONLY JOIN if its your earnest hearts desire to serve.  NO other reason counts.

Mac
(I blame any grammar or misspellings on my smart phone) 

Offline Montauknightsky

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:57 »
Thank you for your response!
I am earnestly interested in serving. I came into the recruitment office expecting anything and I was suggested this program because of my score. I honestly never knew such an opportunity could be available to me!

I guess my major concern is how understanding the program is towards someone who isn't from a physics background?
I hear that it is a physics intensive program and I have not taken any college-level physics courses.

I am willing to put ALL of my time and effort into the program without a doubt, I just don't want to be eaten alive by the courses because I came into the program unprepared.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:23 »
It is perfectly reasonable to believe you can survive nuke school. It is difficult but with dedication it is achievable.

Your biggest challenge will be to forget everything you learned in college physics and chemistry. It's not that what you learned is wrong it's just not the "navy way" if you don't answer test questions using the exact same methods taught in class you do not receive credit (unless they changed the grading system since 99).

I had several classmates that got stuck on some problems in chem and reverted to methods they learned in college. Although the answers where correct they recived no credit with the remark "answer by accident"

Offline Montauknightsky

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:26 »
Another question regarding my eligibility:

Approximately four years ago, I was arrested and charged with larceny. I was young and dumb and stole a poster-sign off the side of a fast food restaurant. I was given a deferred sentence by the judge, given one year probation, and placed under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act. I completed my probation and the charges were dismissed (i was technically never convicted, although to qualify for this act i had to plead guilty).

I have conducted a criminal background check on myself, and no information was found regarding any arrests or convictions.

Will this arrest on my record disqualify me from the program, or secret level security clearance?
I have disclosed this information to my recruiter, but he is unsure. He says i have a 50/50 chance with a moral waiver to still enlist, but it may still disqualify me from the nuke program.

I was young and dumb at the time, this was my only encounter with the law besides traffic infractions, and i was never convicted. Should i have told my recruiter? What do you think my chances of obtaining a waiver are?

My sincerest thanks to any and all insight that could be provided.

DSO

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:27 »
I only took Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 and maybe one Physics course in High School and one Chemistry...no Honors anything and got a 97 ASVAB and ended up 89/472 in Nuke School back in 1986 when it was harder supposedly. Dont sweat it. I dont know about your blurb with the law, but my best guess is since it doesn't show up and was dismissed it shouldn't effect your eligibility for the Nuke program.I had waivers for Fleeing and Eluding and Public Intoxication...but that was back in 1985 and they want want choir boys now it is the "Modern" Navy.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2013, 12:29 by DSO »

Offline Title Loan Man

• Very Lite User
I don't think you'll have any trouble getting in with your priors. You may need a waiver, but I think that will be easy enough to get.

As for the school, I think it's 90% effort based. If you want to make it, and you have the drive, you'll make it. Now, whether or not you coast through is another issue entirely. I was top 5% the whole way through, and I would not describe myself as a math whiz. Personally, I think having strong logic skills are your best asset in the nuke program. Even on the math portion, if you just line up equation on "railroad tracks", most of the time you can dummy check your answer by making sure you end up with the right units.

Either that, or have a photographic memory. Those are the guys who usually end up with 3.8s and such.

If you have a degree, why don't you go officer? That's a much better idea.

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
Definitely try for officer first since you already have a degree.
You can definitely get a waiver. I got in with a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct.
Your ASVAB score isn't really a good indicator. I had a buddy who scored 99, did really well in a school (ET), mediocre in power school, and failed out in prototype. Its all about your work ethic and how you use your time and a bit of memorization (no matter what they tell you otherwise about conceptual understanding)
Don't worry too much about the material. There will be plenty of resources for you to learn, its up to you to use them.
Let me restate that it's what you make of it.
Good Luck

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Survive nuke school? College grad. Possible Legal Issue
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2013, 12:07 »
OP is not eligible for sub/swo nuke because he doesn't have a calculus and calculus based physics sequence. He is eligible for any other line officer position, but not nuke.

Enlisted nuke school is designed to take a high school graduate and make him a nuke; nothing OP has done in college will matter toward that except learning time management. What may frustrate OP is that it will not matter that you have a degree; nuke school will treat you like any other student and put you on mandatory hours if they see fit.

If your crime was not a felony, you are eligible to enlist in the Navy or seek a commission. If you do the latter, you will have to explain your missteps in your motivational statement and on your security clearance form. If you enlist, you put it only on the clearance form. The applications ask if you have ever been arrested, so you'll have to come forward with it.

OP, why do you suddenly want to go nuke after pursuing a non-technical collegiate degree? It sounds like the enlisted recruiter is pushing it on you because you scored well on the ASVAB, and you didn't go into the recruiting office with another rating in mind. If you're not super huge mega boner go nuclear power right now, you will certainly be among the 86% (scientific number I swear) of nukes who are miserable and count the nanosecond until they are discharged because you will eat, breathe, and sleep nuclear power for at least 80 hours a week for the next 6 years.

Offline Montauknightsky

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2013, 06:41 »
I appreciate your response. I am interested in going nuke after not pursuing a technical degree because it seems like a solid option to choose something I should have chosen 4 years ago. At the start of college I was very apathetic and lacked the dedication towards bettering my life that my *alleged* intelligence deserved. I only started to actualize my potential after 2 years of college, but by then it was too late for me to change majors (extenuating financial circumstances). I feel that I am mentally prepared to potentially be doing a job I hate, with the knowledge that I can always fall back on my current Bachelor's degree field(CJ) after my service, if I end up loathing the work in the nuclear field.

However, I have another question: Because of my need for a moral waiver (legal issue aforementioned - petty larceny) to gain acceptance to the Nuke program, my recruiter told me that I will sign and enlist, and AFTERWARDS be reclassified into the nuke pending successful waiver. Is he just misleading me to get me to join, or is this actually the only way a waiver is obtained? In short, is it possible to get confirmation of a successful waiver before actually signing on the line and enlisting?

Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2013, 06:43 by Montauknightsky »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2013, 12:20 »
There is a saying that "the only thing a verbal promise will get you in the Navy is a sea-story to tell your buddies about how you got screwed."

I don't know what the protocol is for enlisted contracts, but I personally would not sign 4 years of my life away on the hope someone puts in some paperwork to get my rating changed and his CoC approves it.

Instinctively, it sounds like your recruiter is hedging his bets. Even if he has every intention of submitting the waiver, I think that he's trying to hook you in case it doesn't get approved. Again, though, I don't know what the proper procedure is.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2013, 12:22 by spekkio »

imthehoopa

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2013, 12:06 »
However, I have another question: Because of my need for a moral waiver (legal issue aforementioned - petty larceny) to gain acceptance to the Nuke program, my recruiter told me that I will sign and enlist, and AFTERWARDS be reclassified into the nuke pending successful waiver. Is he just misleading me to get me to join, or is this actually the only way a waiver is obtained? In short, is it possible to get confirmation of a successful waiver before actually signing on the line and enlisting?

Thanks in advance for any insight and guidance.

Spekkio is right. If the only thing you want to do in the Navy is to be a Nuke, then wait until you have that part of your contract to sign anything. The moral waiver shouldn't be too difficult to get (if you actually need one). I had similar issues (2 arrests) prior to the Navy. The first one got deferred and cleared from my record (didn't need a waiver for that) and the second happened 3 days before I left for bootcamp. I had a waiver the next day. I can say that the speed in which mine happened shouldn't be expected and comes with threats of death from the Bull Nuke should it ever happen again, but it can be done. If you should choose to go for OCS, as long as you own up to what you did it shouldn't be an issue. We have an Officer on our boat who had 2 DUI's before the Navy. It's another example that's not typical, but proof that it can be done. It seems your recruiter is trying awfully hard to push enlistment paperwork your way and not pushing too hard to get that waiver (that you may not even need). If this is how much work he wants to put in to it, think of how hard he's going to try after you sign.

imthehoopa

« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2013, 12:17 »
OP is not eligible for sub/swo nuke because he doesn't have a calculus and calculus based physics sequence. He is eligible for any other line officer position, but not nuke.

If you still have a bit of money left and Nuke Officer is what you decide you really want to do, take these the semester after you graduate and then apply. Should be able to fit it all into 1 extra semester. You may have to go talk to your college's admin office to take Physics/Calculus I and II in the same semester, but should be manageable if you have any aptitude for the subjects. Just don't do it this way and not put in the extra effort it will take. In this case it would be better to not try than to try and fail (due to loss of money and potential extra waiver requiring circumstances you could fall in to).

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2013, 11:42 »
There are several people in my class who had minor legal problems similar to yours. They all got their waivers before signing anything. My suggestion would be for you to do the same. As far as the schooling goes, I have never taken a physics or a calculus class and even my trig. and geometry are sketchy. Here's the way it was explained to me: they will teach you everything you need to know, exactly how you need to know it. They give you every resource to pass. There are instructors in every subject available from 0800-1600 on school days and 1800-2100 everyday proceeding a school day. When you start a class they assume you know nothing and then build as they teach you the basics. The material comes quickly though. Time management is absolutely necessary. The instructors here believe in what they do and sincerely want their students to pass but you have to put forth the effort.

Please excuse the bad grammar. I blame it on my phone.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2013, 01:53 »
Your CHANCES are 50/50.  You either pass or you don't.

I know this post is old, and I understand that some people just like to make fun of things, but as an amateur mathematician, I just grate whenever I hear (or read) that.

Chance is not calculated using possibility, it is calculated using probability. If I have a deck of cards, my chance of picking the Ace of Spades blindfolded is not 50% (I do or I don't) but 1/52 or just under 2% (1.923%)

You could say you have two possibilities which are 'You pass or you don't' but your chance is based on the likelihood of one result or the other.

[/petpeeve rant]
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2013, 11:28 »
And considering you'd need to use random variables for test version frequencies and the likelihood OP will know the questions on them, study hours for a given week, and the OP's natural strength/weakness for understanding a given sub-topic within a topic (I'm sure there's more we can come up with, like flaws within computerized RNG algorithms that online gambling companies were struggling with until the U.S. outlawed it), you'd end up with a probability distribution instead of a discrete outcome, anyway.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2013, 11:30 by spekkio »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?