Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 6yr MM(NUC) getting out. I could use some guidance

Author Topic: 6yr MM(NUC) getting out. I could use some guidance  (Read 4456 times)

Offline oneanddone65

• Lurker
I'd like to know what my job in the navy equates to in the civilian field. I am a Reactor Mechanic onboard USS Enterprise. I qualified all my necessary qualifications including my SIR qual, and Surface Warfare (if that is even relevant to civilian employers). Unfortunately though, that is all that I had accomplished; so no Watch Supervisor quals, no extra schools due to timing, no QAI/S, no S/RCI. This makes me sound like a (poop)bag underachiever, and while I ultimately have no one to blame but myself, it also had plenty to do preferential treatment towards more senior (not in quals but in time on board) personnel, an extensive shipyard period, two full deployments, and being extremely undermanned. I will say though that I accomplished all necessary quals on time, and being the more junior watchstander, stood plenty of watch, have plenty of experience in all plant conditions, and an above average level of knowledge. Currently, the plan is to get out and go to school, but what am I going to school for? What kind of jobs can I get out there given my background and experience. Any real life examples would be greatly appreciated. Once I figure out what job I'd like to shoot for, I could get an appropriate degree to back it up, then start working. Thanks for your time and guidance.

Fermi2

Re: 6yr MM(NUC) getting out. I could use some guidance
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:59 »
Well you obviously never completed the search function qual card.

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:53 »
1) Less excuses… in fact, no excuses. Nobody is going to care about the why you didn't get this or that done.
2) What are you qualified to do and how long have you done it? Just the facts.
3) Civilian world, so drop the navy lingo and focus on what a civilian would care about. Have someone outside the Navy review your resume.
4) Nobody cares if you know the animals in the fo'c'sle or a mooring line sequence, at least not in a job interview.
5) No self assessments. I don't care how awesome you think you are. Just the facts.
6) You should be able to get a non-licensed operator job somewhere close to home. Search for NLO/AO on here and you will find common interview questions, job descriptions,  salary ranges, experiences, and other useful tidbits.

good luck…

Offline oneanddone65

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:24 »
thanks Drayer. I'll look into NLO/AO. I've heard of Auxiliaries Operators, but not NLO. I feel like an idiot for not really looking at all the other threads in this forum. This is a great start though, thanks again.

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:26 »
thanks Drayer. I'll look into NLO/AO. I've heard of Auxiliaries Operators, but not NLO. I feel like an idiot for not really looking at all the other threads in this forum. This is a great start though, thanks again.

"Idiot" (sic), no. NUB (or civilian term "n00b"), yes. ;)

Anyway welcome aboard, you're dink.

OBTW
The scuttlebutt is that NLO is a Non-Licensed Operator.

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:15 »
If you're not location dependant you can/should apply at NNSY for Code 105.  Head on over to NRMD and talk to the people there about the hiring process, and they'll point you in the right direction.  Visit www.usajobs.gov and search "Physical Science Technician."

Before going to college full time, weigh the value of lost wages against perspective wage increases from your education.  If you're headed into a lucrative field, by all means go full-time college bum; but if you're thinking Liberal Arts or something (no disrespect intended to anyone)... Get a job and work on school in your free time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?