Career Path > NRC

Need explanation of Simulator Maintenance job?

<< < (4/6) > >>

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 02, 2013, 02:52 ---Are I&C Techs usually hired from within, or can people get in from the outside?

--- End quote ---

They filled 5 slots when I was hired. Originally, it was going to be all/mostly ex-navy guys transferring from operations, but when push-came-to-shove, the ops guys all decided against it. They hired 4 slots externally and filled the other internally.  That was back when unemployment rates were lower, so not sure what the results would be now.  And no idea if that is representative of other plants and/or hiring cycles.

Good luck.  :)

weatherby460:
What was your experience before being hired as an I&C Tech.....

GLW:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 03, 2013, 09:40 ---What was your experience before being hired as an I&C Tech.....

--- End quote ---

Search two minutes and you will find this:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on Dec 12, 2012, 08:33 ---01/01/01 – Trojan decommissioning (RP)

02/02/02 - Millstone outage (RP)

03/03/03 - Diablo Canyon outage (RP)

04/04/04 - Diablo Canyon outage (RP)

05/05/05 – Columbia outage (RP) - early summer break from BSU electronics program

06/06/06 – Home in Idaho - job search to use new electronics degree

07/07/07 – INL - (Waste Characterization)

08/08/08 – Home in Washington - summer break after going back on road (RP)

09/09/09 – Pilgrim (I&C)

10/10/10 – Humboldt Bay decommissioning (RP)

11/11/11 – Bangkok, Thailand - medevac from Peace Corps Cambodia

12/12/12 – Kampot, Cambodia - Peace Corps

That was enlightening...made me realize that even those jobs that seemed to drag on forever didn't really last that long...

--- End quote ---

Knowing how to research the answer for yourself will help your nuclear support career immensely,...

Seeing the question before the boss sees it and researching the answer to have it when needed is an appreciated skill,...

Doing what you're told when you're told as you're told makes you reliable, being reliable puts you in at the LCD of any nuclear career,...

Just my thoughts, do with them what you will,... [coffee]

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 03, 2013, 09:40 ---What was your experience before being hired as an I&C Tech.....

--- End quote ---

I had been in nuclear power for 20+ years in radiation protection.  The nuclear background, plus a bachelors in electronics technology, got me in the door...

Good luck with your job search!  :)

One last reminder...different job climate back then, so...?

weatherby460:
No call yet...bet I didn't get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version