Career Path > NRC

Need explanation of Simulator Maintenance job?

<< < (5/6) > >>

weatherby460:
Got a call.....I have a face to face interview Friday!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlin:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 ---Got a call.....I have a face to face interview Friday!!!!!!!!!!!

--- End quote ---

Good luck Mr. pessimist  ;)

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 06, 2013, 12:23 ---Got a call.....I have a face to face interview Friday!!!!!!!!!!!

--- End quote ---

:)

Good luck!  :)

:)

weatherby460:
I had the interview...it went great.   The job is just supporting the simulator control room.

I am not sure if I am missing something, but that is all that I would be supporting...just the training room, which is basically computer controlled.

I expected to support alot more, including at least a mock up reactor, but that doesnt appear to be the case.

I think it will be a fairly easy job compared to my last job.  I kinda hope it will be more involved.  Honestly, I dont even know how a person can stay busy for 8 hours a day.

Does this assumption correct?  Again, I want the job to get my foot in the door.

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: weatherby460 on Feb 09, 2013, 09:39 ---I had the interview...it went great.   The job is just supporting the simulator control room.

I am not sure if I am missing something, but that is all that I would be supporting...just the training room, which is basically computer controlled.

I expected to support alot more, including at least a mock up reactor, but that doesnt appear to be the case.

I think it will be a fairly easy job compared to my last job.  I kinda hope it will be more involved.  Honestly, I dont even know how a person can stay busy for 8 hours a day.

Does this assumption correct?  Again, I want the job to get my foot in the door.

--- End quote ---

Glad to hear your interview went well!  :)

As I mentioned above, we (I&C) didn't work on the simulator at the Useta plant, so anything I say about it is just conjecture, but...

I'm guessing you are right that some days you will have a hard time staying busy for the full day.  That is typical of nuclear power.  I have the same problem you do with wanting to minimize down time, so I keep a to-do list of side-projects that I can refer to if things get slow. 

And, the simulator is a very complex roomful of equipment.  I was only in it once for a tour, so maybe the guys who work/train on it all the time can chime in, but I remember it having all the same instrument readouts as the real control room (I'm drawing a blank about whether the back aisles exist at the simulator, but am assuming they do...).  If you are doing PM's and cals on that many instruments by yourself, it seems like a full schedule.  Throw in modifications and such...and you may be over-worked!  ;)

Thanks for keeping us posted.  It sounds like a great opportunity.  If you land the job and really learn the simulator, you'll be able to roll into the real plant in a few years as a control room expert.

Good luck!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version