Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need explanation of Simulator Maintenance job?  

Author Topic: Need explanation of Simulator Maintenance job?  (Read 56274 times)

Offline weatherby460

• Light User
Re: Need explanation of Simulator Maintenance job?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 »
I got the job!!!!!

Thanks for the help and chiming in everyone...esp Uncabuffalo!

I dont know the details except for the wage, and I will have health ins and matching 401K (not sure how much).

Again this is a contract job, so no paid vac, and the wage is only $24 an hour to start.  But its a foot in the door, a day shift job, clean enviroment, climate controlled, and I feel I can be very good in the job with my current skills set.

Here is where there is hope.  This location has not hired direct hires in over a year in most areas.  The staffing agent said because of reorganization from a new owner...I forgot the name.   She said if I do well, and they like me...I will most likely be hired by Exelon when the company can hire again.

Very good day for me.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:50 »
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:10 »
You probably already know this, but it was the single most important thing I learned as an I&C tech (THANKS, DAVE S. :)):

There are a TON of different instruments in a plant (or simulator).  There is no way for a normal person to remember every detail about every calibration or PM on every instrument.

Therefore, TAKE NOTES!

My system was to jot notes in the margin of my copy as I performed each procedure. Then, when I got back to the shop, I'd transfer all the notes (with step #) to the cover page, tear the cover page off, and stick it in a binder.  This way, when it came time to re-perform calibration (many are done only semi-annually or annually), I still always had a few tidbits of information that made my life easier  (even mundane things - such as exact location of instrument or exactly which wrenches are required - are a HUGE time-saver...and dose-saver...in the real plant.)

There were also some unanticipated benefits to my note-taking system:

First, since I always was playing with the procedures, it became common for the lead techs to ask me to submit procedure revisions when we got back to the shop.  This is something I enjoy and helped keep me busy (which you mentioned you were worried about.)  That in turn led to being given a couple of other great projects, because I had the reputation of enjoying, and being efficient at, paperwork.

And, when it came time to be fully qualified, I was the only one who could prove I'd already performed such-and-such surveillances, so was the first one to be pushed through.

Congratulations and Good Luck!  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 10:40 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline allenmurrow

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2013, 03:41 »
You probably already know this, but it was the single most important thing I learned as an I&C tech (THANKS, DAVE S. :)):

There are a TON of different instruments in a plant (or simulator).  There is no way for a normal person to remember every detail about every calibration or PM on every instrument.

Therefore, TAKE NOTES!

My system was to jot notes in the margin of my copy as I performed each procedure. Then, when I got back to the shop, I'd transfer all the notes (with step #) to the cover page, tear the cover page off, and stick it in a binder.  This way, when it came time to re-perform calibration (many are done only semi-annually or annually), I still always had a few tidbits of information that made my life easier  (even mundane things - such as exact location of instrument or exactly which wrenches are required - are a HUGE time-saver...and dose-saver...in the real plant.)

There were also some unanticipated benefits to my note-taking system:

First, since I always was playing with the procedures, it became common for the lead techs to ask me to submit procedure revisions when we got back to the shop.  This is something I enjoy and helped keep me busy (which you mentioned you were worried about.)  That in turn led to being given a couple of other great projects, because I had the reputation of enjoying, and being efficient at, paperwork.

And, when it came time to be fully qualified, I was the only one who could prove I'd already performed such-and-such surveillances, so was the first one to be pushed through.

Congratulations and Good Luck!  :)

Good information. These work practices would benefit other departments as well. I'd give you positive karma if I had that ability.  +K
Generic Fundamentals Study Website for BWRs & PWRs
http://nuclear.allenmurrow.com

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:42 »
Good information. These work practices would benefit other departments as well. I'd give you positive karma if I had that ability.  +K

$36.50/year that's just $3.04/month or $0.10/day...

When you become a Gold Member, you get special access to "Gold Members Only" areas, and features.  

Such as the Gold Members Only Forums:

GM: General
GM: Support
GM: PolySci
GM: Sports Talk
GM: Entertainment
GM: Exposure
Adult Humor
BathRoom

You also get functions that only Gold Members are allowed, such as:

Ability to Affect peoples Karma!
Unlimited Personal Messages (Everyone else only gets 10)

Ability to upload your own "Avatar" (personal profile picture) to your profile.
Ability to Edit your own "Custom Title" in your profile
Ability to move and lock your topics in the Forum
Ability to post attachments to your posts in the Forum
Ability to Add Events to the Calendar

LARGER upload limits in the Photo Gallery
Ability to have a PERSONAL Photo Gallery

Free Outage Schedules

To sign up for a gold membership, follow this link:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;sa=subscriptions
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2013, 10:44 by Marlin »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?