Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Having trouble translating honeypot

Author Topic: Having trouble translating  (Read 19156 times)

Druid

Re: Having trouble translating
« Reply #25 on: Mar 07, 2013, 01:21 »
So, to approach something resembling a "point" to this post, I guess what I'm asking for is a sense of direction. What industries do you guys think I should be investigating where my resume will be relevant and attractive? I ask you guys because you all know exactly what everything on my resume means, no BS, and how it translates into real world experience. I was hoping you all might have some insight that would direct my search in a productive direction.

Since you are on NukeWorker forum, you will get a lot of relevant advice concerning that industry. Of the Nukes that I knew, or have met since leaving, only two actually worked in the industry. I know of one who went on to do technical writing for a shipyard, one who worked as a trainer in the wider power generation industry, one who worked at a university in cryogenics & high vacuum systems, one whose a tech rep for a radiac mfgr, one who does maintenance at a hospital and another in ammunition mgf, one who became a physical therapist and another who instructs at a major university's athletic department. I suggest that you come visit the US Naval Nuclear Power School Alumni over on LinkedIn.

I got off active in 6 and continued in the reserves. I got a job doing apartment rehabs for a company in a college town. Working for the company I was eligible for a discount on rent in addition to my wages. My starting wages were $2 more than minimum wage at the time. I worked full time but the company was flexible with my hours so that I could take classes. After a couple years doing that I found a position with the college. The pay was better and they provided two free classes every semester. Again there was flexibility and I continued to work full time and go to school full time. My last semester I took 19 credit hours while continuing to work. Assuming that Nuke school is as rigorous as it was thirty years ago, you will be surprised what you can do. That last semester was no worse that my Mando-40, with the difference being that mentally I knew I could handle it.

I was single when I got out but by the time I graduated I was married with kids. When I got off active I had every intention of pursuing an aerospace engineering degree. By my sophomore year it had changed to physics, yet I ended up graduating with a degree in environmental science (which is a field I've never gotten a job in.) For the past ten years I've worked in the medical device industry.

Oh yeah, get off the "entitled" stump. Suck it up and go do something. Apply the skills that you have acquired, if not the specific knowledge.

Good luck!

Offline orangery

• Very Lite User
Re: Having trouble translating
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2013, 12:33 »
I got off active in 6 and continued in the reserves. I got a job doing apartment rehabs for a company in a college town. Working for the company I was eligible for a discount on rent in addition to my wages. My starting wages were $2 more than minimum wage at the time. I worked full time but the company was flexible with my hours so that I could take classes. After a couple years doing that I found a position with the college. The pay was better and they provided two free classes every semester. Again there was flexibility and I continued to work full time and go to school full time. My last semester I took 19 credit hours while continuing to work. Assuming that Nuke school is as rigorous as it was thirty years ago, you will be surprised what you can do. That last semester was no worse that my Mando-40, with the difference being that mentally I knew I could handle it.

Wow, I am impressed. I have not been to Nuke school nor have I been in the military. There is no way I would work while attending college. That would interfere with all my fun-having, not to mention my studying and becoming cultured. You are tough. I am seriously amazed and applaud your hard work. One semester I got a job 10 hours a week. That was a mistake and a distraction. After taking that fun "entry-level" nuclear job at 70k a year, I had no problem paying down my 10-year loans. It's a blip in my bank account.

I cannot pretend to suggest what a Navy Nuke should do. I just wanted to point out to the less-motivated that only about a third of full-time college students work during college, which includes less-rigorous academic programs and includes paid student research jobs, and it is a completely viable choice to attend school without working.

If I were in your place, I'd go to college right away.  Use that GI Bill down to the last penny.
Here's the secret - you don't have to have the first clue about what you want to do, or what you want to study, in order to go to college.  You look in the catalog for some humanities, electives, arts and sciences, etc.  Take a few that seem like fun.  Along the way, something or another will catch your interest.  Then, something else.
While you're doing that, forget about a career or even a field.  Think about what you would love to do just for you and not for a living, then find a way to make a living at that.  If there are no such jobs, start meeting people who are happy.  Find out why.  There might be something there.  A college is a great place to find people who are passionate about things you haven't even heard of yet.  Who knows what you will discover there?

You're young.  Follow the road ahead to wherever your heart takes you.  The money will come later.
Good luck, and thank you for your service.

This is the best advice I have ever read.
This post is Truth.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2013, 12:37 by orangery »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?