Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu First few days on the NLO job?
honeypot

Author Topic: First few days on the NLO job?  (Read 9380 times)

Offline OleDave

• Lurker
First few days on the NLO job?
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:05 »
Hey all!
Did some searching but haven't found what I am looking for

So...I think my interview for NLO went great and that I will be offered a position, SOS here are my questions.

I'm assuming lots of admin work the first week?

I'm 13 yr Nuke EM, so I've got a little experience, but I know there are lots of differences between navy and commercial, so should I just shut my mouth and know my role? The main reason I ask is that at the testing session I was at there was only one other nuke out of 15 or so taking the POSS, which sort of caught me by surprise.  Can my experience be a benefit to the others that I get hired on with? I'm assuming training will start with the basics and work up to the specific.

Any of you old hats have recommendations on what NOT to do?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: First few days on the NLO job?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:45 »
A lot of basic training.

Don't say stuff like " in the navy we did it this way."

Good luck and congratulations!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 »
In addition to the Higgs be careful using navy/military leadership/motivating techniques.  Most classes are a majority civilian and locals.  You will either get direct or indirect push-back.

Congrat's

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:14 »
Take in what is being said.  Nothing worse than hearing (as previously mentioned) "this is how we did it in the Navy."
Thanks for your service,
LM

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:16 »
It's just like getting to your first command out of prototype.
 Also, you don't have rank anymore. Some guys take longer than others before they realize that.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:20 »
Have met lots of Chiefs that never could get the I'm in charge out of their system.
LM

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:39 »
The first few days will be NGET training and other admin type training (depending on the utility).  Honestly, your best bet would be to not bother talking about the navy.   As harsh as it sounds no one cares, and navy power is totally different from commercial power..

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:38 »
.....Don't say stuff like " in the navy we did it this way."

.....Don't say stuff like " in the navy we did it this way."

In addition to the Higgs be careful using navy/military leadership/motivating techniques....

....Nothing worse than hearing (as previously mentioned) "this is how we did it in the Navy."...

....Also, you don't have rank anymore. Some guys take longer than others before they realize that.

Have met lots of Chiefs that never could get the I'm in charge out of their system.....

....Honestly, your best bet would be to not bother talking about the navy.....

Anybody seeing a trend here?!?

With all there is to being a NLO, this is the penultimate advice for ex-service members?!?!

hmmmm,....I'm thinking this could be an illuminating thread in the GM forums,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Xenon_Free

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 »
Let's see, your experience may be of benefit at the component level; system level - not so much.  As for a list of what not to do...

Do not assume you are the smartest one in the room, it is likely that you are not, so don't assume it.
Do not expect to be recognized as special, you have to earn respect.
Do NOT treat any of the fully qualified Operators as dummies (even if they are annoying), you will alienate yourself.
Do not join in the bantering that qualified operators are having, see above for results
If they give you a nickname, do not fight it... That is the surest way to have it stick.
Do your best to avoid talking behind your classmates back or talking about other operators, word gets around and you will alienate yourself.
Do not be lax in your studying or plant walk downs - demonstrate mastery of the subject by both book and plant "smarts" to do this you must get out in the field as much as possible.
When qualifying, your qual book is not just a list of things to do, if there is something the operators are doing then get out and see it - help if you can... Even if you already have that "sig".  Operators respect those willing to help and you will qualify faster.

Most of this advice is similar to life in the Navy, but it is worth repeating for you and for those who read this without that background.

XF

Edit:
Oh yeah, if the plant is union, try not to get too militant - especially if you might want to move up to SRO level at some point.
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013, 01:52 by Xenon_Free »

Offline timmythekidd

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2013, 07:42 »
OleDave,
First off, congrats and welcome to the real world.  I separated after 9 years last July and joined the commercial nuclear community.  You'll find that fundamentals will be very easy for you... don't utter the phrase "I should be teaching this."  You shouldn't.  Systems will change your opinion..
Do not assume you are the smartest one in the room, it is likely that you are not, so don't assume it.
Start by listening more than talking.
While you're being de-programmed from the Navy, remember that you should call your co-workers by their first name.  Refrain from addressing your bosses as "sir" or "ma'am."  They have a name.
Once again, Do NOT treat any of the fully qualified Operators as dummies (even if they are annoying).  One of the qualified operators most lamented for not being very useful hooked me up with one of the keys I'll need to handle my responsibilities. He's also helped me on several other occasions.
My last suggestion is to relax a little.  Your new coworkers are successful and usually intelligent people.  You're not just another nub.  Yes, you are the f'in new guy, but that's okay.  You should still be treated like a human.  Good luck.

Offline allenmurrow

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:45 »
For some of the admin prep work:
Make sure you bring with you all required info for your in-depth background checks. 5/10 year history of employment with addresses, prior residency, trips outside of the country, criminal history (if any) with final disposition.
Generic Fundamentals Study Website for BWRs & PWRs
http://nuclear.allenmurrow.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?