Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Degrees well active duty w/ previous college credit honeypot

Author Topic: Degrees well active duty w/ previous college credit  (Read 8300 times)

Offline lukedehart

• Very Lite User
Hello everyone!

A quick summary about me, I am 20 years old and I have 68 college credits towards biomedical sciences including both inorganic chemistries and calc 1, 2 and calc based physics. My GPA during the university time I spent was a 2.4 average, obviously poor. I decided to enlist in the navy to give me a change of pace. I got picked up for Nuke, autoqual, with a 96 ASVAB. I would love some information about obtaining a degree well I am enlisted in the navy and how exactly my previously poor GPA will effect me later on during this pipeline. I would love to improve upon my GPA and any information anyone has on doing that effectively would be very much appreciated.

So summary of the questions,

How can I best earn a bachelors of science, including organic chemistries, physics, biologies well active duty enlisted.

How can I improve on my GPA utilizing the nuclear program and other colleges.

Any helpful hints on my future.

Thank you for your time and responses.

LD

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Degrees well active duty w/ previous college credit
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2013, 09:33 »
Hello everyone!

A quick summary about me, I am 20 years old and I have 68 college credits towards biomedical sciences including both inorganic chemistries and calc 1, 2 and calc based physics. My GPA during the university time I spent was a 2.4 average, obviously poor. I decided to enlist in the navy to give me a change of pace. I got picked up for Nuke, autoqual, with a 96 ASVAB. I would love some information about obtaining a degree well I am enlisted in the navy and how exactly my previously poor GPA will effect me later on during this pipeline. I would love to improve upon my GPA and any information anyone has on doing that effectively would be very much appreciated.

How can I best earn a bachelors of science, including organic chemistries, physics, biologies well active duty enlisted.

LD

I'd work on that English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework first.

Offline lukedehart

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2013, 09:49 »
I am unsure if that is a quip at me or an actual suggestion. Please hash out what you meant by your statement.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:03 »
It means you need to express yourself better when using the English language.

Offline lukedehart

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:18 »
Well all I can say is that I am very comfortable with my intelligence and communication abilities. If tearing other people down helps with your self confidence then enjoy your freedom of speech. Please refrain from commenting unless you are going to say something helpful and pertaining to the topic at hand. Thank you.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:41 »
Hello everyone!

LD

Enlist and strive for an ET rating, get assigned to a carrier and utilize the shipboard resources always seeking the assistance of you command career counselor to achieve all the goals you have set for yourself here and you'll do fine.

good Luck,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2013, 11:08 »
Well all I can say is that I am very comfortable with my intelligence and communication abilities. If tearing other people down helps with your self confidence then enjoy your freedom of speech. Please refrain from commenting unless you are going to say something helpful and pertaining to the topic at hand. Thank you.

The point is those you may work with/for will not be comfortable with your communications skills. I think you might be too thin skinned for this industry.

Offline lukedehart

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2013, 11:15 »
GLW, so you would suggest staying away from the STA program?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2013, 08:04 »
Fleet needs more A gang!!  ;)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2013, 10:10 »
GLW, so you would suggest staying away from the STA program?

Once you are enlisted and in the program your Command Career Counselor will have the best advice and mentoring possible, definitely better than anything you can learn on an internet forum,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Degrees well active duty w/ previous college credit
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2013, 11:38 »
College credit is not required for sta-21; however, it's a competitive program and the fact that you have a record of poor college performance could significantly impact your chances of selection in a negative way.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2013, 05:54 »
If you go to the fleet (submarines at least), you will not be able to get tuition assistance for college until you are fully qualified.  Once you are fully qualified you can coordinate with the Navy College Office and get up to 16 hours per fiscal year paid for (at a rate of $250/hr).

DSO

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2013, 05:55 »
Your concerns are misdirected. You need to worry about what you can do to make it through the pipeline effectively and qualify out in the fleet first. Your College 2.4 GPA sucks, so I don't think your chances of getting an Officer Program are very good. "If" you ever get a shore duty that you could go to an area college in the evening "and" afford and would except all your credits (highly improbable) you could "attempt" to finish up your degree---but not likely. So to answer your question---I don't think your poor past GPA will effect you, as you wont be able to do anything with it in the Navy while your busy in the pipeline and fleet.

Offline Ahmahzahn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2013, 11:46 »
Just wanted to post my $.02.  I had a .95 college GPA coming into the Navy. That's 0.95 overall.  Out of 4.00.  Anyway, if you excel in A School/Power School/Prototype, score excellent on your ACT exam and interview really well you have a shot at making STA21.  My interviews went extremely well, did well in school (never made it through Prototype before being pulled out for STA21) and had decent ACT scores.  I'm sure the formula changes every year for getting selected but that's what worked for me.  Also be advised that STA21 is shrinking drastically year over year.  50 candidates chosen this year (30 of which were Nuke), 75 last year and I believe well over a hundred the year before (though please forgive me almighty NukeWorker Forum if my numbers aren't exactly correct ;).  Just my best guess.)

Hope everything works out for you, wish I could offer you some insight in regards to getting your degree not though STA21 but that search function has helped many here (including me).  Don't be disgruntled that people seem too abrasive on here either, just use the search and treat everyone with respect... Most of these guys have been on here for years, and have answered the same questions year after year.  It's pretty understandable that they get upset when someone decides to undervalue their time by demanding answers they've addressed over and over.

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2013, 11:27 »
Degrees WHILE active duty w/ previous college credit***

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?