Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Women + Nukes honeypot

Author Topic: Women + Nukes  (Read 10687 times)

Heatherburnette

Women + Nukes
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 »
Hello all :)

I just stumbled upon your forum and am quite pleased with it thus far. I was brought here from seaking help on material to cover for the NAPT....it seems I have found much more than that! Ive read a few of the posts and am excited to have found you all as I am in the process of making my way into your coveted MOS. At least, coveted by me!  :)

And while I imagine myself skimming through the many posts about the NAPT my question now remains around women in this area of expertise. I'm a 24 year old female and as of yet, in my searching I'm not finding other women. I was wondering if anyone -male or female- would care to share with me if you work with any women in Nuke. I'm really hoping to hear that I'm not going to be an oddity out there. Although, either which way it ends up I know I'm going to be quite happy finally being able to serve my country. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 by Heatherburnette »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Women + Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 12:12 »
Please be more careful where you walk... we discourage stumbling here unless, of course, it is preceded by heavy drinking.  ;)

Seriously, you may have better results finding women in the Nuclear Navy end of the business if you post in the 'Career Path > Navy Nuke' section instead of 'Career Path > General' section (i.e. here.) If you are looking for Women in Nuclear, there are several that come here often, but Women in Navy Nuke are a bit more rare.

Welcome to NukeWorker.com.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2013, 12:24 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 »
Hello,

I am a woman, and I also know about 20 females of whom I communicate with often working in the Nuke field.  Most of us are RP Technicians.  I have a 108 qual (Shipyard Radcon) and I also worked DOE.  I am currently doing the outage thing.  There are not many out here, but every sight that I've been to I have seen women.  So there are women working in Nuclear.  I've been doing this for 6 years.   

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:30 »
Military by its very nature is a male "dominated" feild. Being a nuke is no exception. Some may not enjoy this response, but its accurate. If you want to be respected, do your job. Some women I worked with in the navy gravitated towards the "I'm a woman so treat me special"... not by any means saying all women do this, nor that you will. Just giving you a peice of my experience is all. Sailor first, nuke second, woman third. That's where your priorities should reside.

And for the love of god, don't marry the first guy you date in powerschool! Lol (said in jest of course :p)
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013, 06:32 by Starkist »

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:08 »

And for the love of god, don't marry the first guy you date in powerschool! Lol (said in jest of course :p)

You laugh, but when I went through the pipeline I saw multiple women accept proposals during the 10 minute break in the Rickover.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:58 »
You laugh, but when I went through the pipeline I saw multiple women accept proposals during the 10 minute break in the Rickover.

That is somewhere between cheap and sad....did they do the wedding at the bowling alley?  :P

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:05 »
That is somewhere between cheap and sad....did they do the wedding at the bowling alley?  :P

The reception was at The Dive.

(not really, but that would have been awesome)

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:46 »

Don't give them ideas....   >:(

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 »
I work directly with two women at my plant.  One is ex-Navy (She's still in the reserves) and the other is local.  Both are well-respected at our plant because of their performance.  One is an SRO/STA.  The other is now an RO.  There are a few other women in OPS and a few in ILT class right now. 
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

nukem

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:41 »
Hi.. I am a Navy nuke, female. I have been in for 7 years. I can tell you one thing - it's easy to get recognized if you're awesome, and it's easy to get recognized if you're even an ounce of a sh**bag. Just have a good attitude and don't take advantage of the fact that you're a chick and you'll be alright.

PM me if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2013, 06:01 by Nuclear NASCAR »

furuame

« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2013, 11:39 »
Hmm, I'm sure that none of the young men in the Navy get married the first chance they get... (lol)  Seriously though, so what if there are girls getting married during Power school?  Their hubbies were just as irresponsible to be distracted from their studies in the first place, so aren't they to blame, too?
That being said, I can't imagine why anyone, male or female, would get married after knowing someone for only a few months in school.  That's crazy.
Oh yah, and I should introduce myself.  I'm 24, female, and just reclassed as a Nuke.  Took forever to get my waivers through, but now I'm looking forward to going to school.  I'll probably post on here in the future, so nice to meet y'all. : )

-Furu

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?