Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What colleges give the most ACE recommended credit?

Author Topic: What colleges give the most ACE recommended credit?  (Read 14197 times)

Offline samerickson89

• Lurker
I'm getting out soon, and planning on going to school. I'd prefer somewhere in the Midwest that will give me all, or at least most, of the credits that the American Council on Education recommends for A-school/Power School/Prototype. The problem I'm having is that most of the admissions counselors I've called have told me either their schools don't accept many of those credits, or they won't tell me until I'm already enrolled. This defeats the purpose of my asking since I want to know before I apply. Is there anyone who is going or has gone to a school that gave credit for nuke training? Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: What colleges give the most ACE recommended credit?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:13 »
If you're doing a serious science or technical (engineering, phsyics, aero science, computer stuff) do not expect many USEFUL credits. I've seen up to 60, and I myself got 48 but it was all lower level studies.  Fwiw, I'm pursuing mechanical engineering at a state level college, and received a lot of "humanity" credits and some pre reqs. To my understanding the only applicable credits I received were based on blueprint reading and schematics lol.

My advice, find the college you would most enjoy going to, and use your gi bill (yellow ribbon) to its fullest.

On the flipside, if you're simply trying to just get a peice of paper with your name on it, the nuclear engineering technology (NOT an "engineering degree", its a tech degree) from TESC would be your fastest option.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:36 »

On the flipside, if you're simply trying to just get a peice of paper with your name on it,

You didn't get credit for English 101, did you? :P
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:44 »
You didn't get credit for English 101, did you? :P

Haha sure did!  Hey, I DID say engineering major after all :p

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:54 »
Depending on your rating, there are more credits to be had than just the ones recommended for NPS/NPTU.  Excelsior College also awarded me 36 semester hours for other Navy training.  For Machinist's Mate First Class, there are
NAVY SEAMAN RATING  -- SEAMANSHIP  3.00
NAVY FIREMAN RATING  -- MARINE ENGINEERING  3.00
NV-0799-0006 NAVY DRUG SAFETY  --  DRUG EDUCATION  2.00
NAVY MACHINIST MATE 1 RATING  -- HUMAN RELATIONS  3.00
BLUEPRINT READING  1.00
MAINTENANCE TECH  3.00
MACH MAINT & REPAIR  12.00
AIR CONDITIONING  3.00
MAINTENANCE MGMT 2.00
PERSONNEL SUPERV  2.00
RECORDKEEPING  1.00
NV-1303-0001(1) C1 A MACH MATE -- STEAM PLANT ORIENTATION  1.00

Then, there are another 18.00 for some CLEP Exams that any HS graduate should pass easily.

Before ever sitting in a civilian college classroom, I had 87 Semester hours.

Through company training as a Nuclear Plant Chemistry Technician, they gave me another 17.00.  The NRRPT Exam got me another 30.00.  Then another 5.33 for two quarter-length courses at an actual college and my total is 135.33 Semester Hours.  The math doesn't add up because some of the credits duplicate each other.

The reason I added all that other stuff is to make a point.  I have 135.33 semester hours toward a BS that requires 120.00 and I still don't have the degree.  You see, working and having a family take time and I prioritized those over taking the necessary Mud Sculpture, Basket Weaving, and Pygmy Studies courses to finish the degree.  I'm almost 51 years old.

DO IT NOW!!!!  Use your GI BILL and whatever the current version of Navy Campus is.  Use them until there is nothing left of them, and use them starting right now.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 12:59 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:51 »
Just to reiterate, you will receive next to none of those credits from a state level school. If you want to see the credits I received from a few colleges in michigan, send me a pm. You can compare them to the major of your choice.

As already gone stated, excelsior (and TEsC) both work really well at getting you the most "bang for the buck", credit wise.... but its not your buck to pay with the GI bill. He's in a different situation, and as he said, DON'T WAIT! You can apply to schools up to a year in advance (you will be accepted anywhere you go).   

One last tid bit, you're going to encounter a moron or two talking to admissions people. If they don't understand your back ground, ask to speak to an admissions officer or someone that does credit evaluations.

Good luck.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:05 »

One last tid bit, you're going to encounter a moron or two talking to admissions people. If they don't understand your back ground, ask to speak to an admissions officer or someone that does credit evaluations.

Great point! And I wouldn't (didn't) even stop at admissions-officer/credit-eval-people, because some of them resemble 'morons', too.  ;)  Keep taking it up the chain-of-command...you might find someone who will take an interest.  I did.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,261.msg24753.html#msg24753

Good luck!  :)

Yes, my experience was with ACE credits for NRRPT, not navy...but same concept.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2013, 08:09 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:12 »
DO IT NOW!!!!  Use your GI BILL and whatever the current version of Navy Campus is.  Use them until there is nothing left of them, and use them starting right now.

Can't be repeated enough! DO IT NOW!!!!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Operator

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:48 »
I already have a BA from Thom Ed and just received my Academic Plan from Excelsior for a BS NET/MBA combined...

With A BA, Navy Nuke, Commercial RP ANSI SRPT, Commericial NLO I was granted 81 credits.

Mind you, that many of the Navy Nuke and NLO were duplicates that I received no credit for (1 counted, so the other did not etc).

I will break it down:

Navy Nuclear Power School: 13 credits Lower Level (HTFF, Physics)
Being an MM Nuke: 11 credits in applied Mechanical
Being an RPT: 21 credits in HP, Chem, Electrical, Lab
Being an NLO: 10 credits (Physics 1 and 2, Rx Core, Plant Systems Intro)
DANTES Testing: 3 credits in Tech Writing
College Work: 22 credits
Petty Officer Leadership: 1

Total: 81
Remaining: 37 credits for BS or basically a year of full-time.

Now don't get discouraged, I also have over 200 potential credits that were duplicate or did not apply from other college work, DANTES, CLEP, NPTU, NNPTC that would of applied had I not had other coursework from which Excelsior could choose:

What was duplicate that applies to being in the Navy Nuke or available on base:

A school, NPS, Petty Officer Leadership, ELT School, DANTES, CLEPS, etc

Bottom Line: Get down to Navy Campus or whatever its called and take ever single CLEP and DANTES that you can for FREE!!!! Those alone can save you around a year or so of college.

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 10:50 by Operator »

Operator

« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:00 »
Additionally...If you want to use Navy Nuke/ACE you need to target your colleges that have entered into an NUCP agreement with NEI/INPO that basically grants the school accreditation that their power plant technology program will support a generation utilities hiring needs. Upon graduation, the students get a certificate as well as their diploma.

Most of the programs are terminal 2 year degrees (A.A.S) which means graduate in 2 years and get a job in your degree-skill set.

Link: http://www.nei.org/resourcesandstats/documentlibrary/careersandeducation/report/nucp-schools or

http://www.nei.org/corporatesite/media/filefolder/NUCPschools.pdf

So if you want a utility job and want a nuke-related degree, then seek out the colleges that nuclear companies are directly invested in to receive quality applicants.

Just a strategy, but remember, colleges make money by you paying for classes, so don't expect to receive full ACE recommendation. No one legit is going to transfer in 60 credits/120 credits and give you a AS/BS degree.

Your best bet is Thomas Edison and Excelsior for maximum application. Plus they are 100 % online/distant so you can complete them anywhere.

That being said, both of them now offer ABET accredited BSNET degrees and both of them are suitable to move up the commercial nuclear plant ranks. I have even seen people do well outside of nuclear operations with both the TE and EC BSNET degrees (both also had an Masters) BUT that all being said, if you want to have the flexibility to move away from commercial nuclear and perhaps be a real engineer, then I strongly encourage you to get a brick and mortar 4 year engineering degree.

YMMV

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 11:09 by Operator »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:52 »
To dovetail operators jive about getting a brick and mortar engineering degree, expect no credits other then stuff to go towards electives. You can dantes/clep classes now if you have the knowledge base to do so, and colleges are required by law to accept them from military members. You will have 3-4 years of school ahead of you if you go full time. As he said, it will open a lot of doors if you're looking for careers outside of commercial power, but it will also open doors inside the nuke world as well (ability to instant SRO, management, engineer, etc), but a cookie cutter tesc degree will work for that if that is your goal.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?