Career Path > Navy:Getting In

is nuke worth it?

(1/6) > >>

cave_dog42:
I am currently in the DEP program as an AECF. I recently took and passes the nuke test and my asvab line scores all met nuke criteria. i was supposed to go down to meps today to reclass but my recruiter forgot my high school transcripts and didnt submit an DAR. I have been reading the posts here and have begun to question whether or not i am cut out to be a nuke. i have never had great study habits but i am able to learn quickly. I know that there are good career oppurtunities and the advancement/bonuses are very nice but i dont know how much i would enjoy the actual work(not that work is supposed to be fun). Ive been thinking about just staying AECF but im not sure.. Thanks for any responses. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roll Tide:
Let me welcome you, and offer my expertise as a former Navy Nuke (and current Commercial Nuke).

In the enlisted armed forces, there is no other program as academically challenging as nuclear power school. The Navy wants you to be successful, so they will give you the assistance to succeed if you meet the academic entrance requirements and put forth effort. It will be tough, but you WILL pass the courses if you choose to do so.

Many companies specifically target ex-Navy Nukes for their programs. Not only commercial nuclear plants (especially for operators!) but also maintenance of assembly lines (tire manufacturers come to mind as one I have interviewed with.)

After 6 years in the Navy, you can get out and have a B.S. in hand (you only need a couple of credits besides those in the Nuke pipeline for A.S.!) or you can stay in for 20 and still have a commercial career afterwards!

As far as work not being fun, wouldn't life be sad if what you spend 1/3 of your time was a drudgery? The challenges of a nuclear career keep many happy and boredom limited. (In summary, my answer is "YES" but I am just stating my opinion.)

CheeseheadNuke:
Well, here's my two cents worth:
As an 8 year ex-nuke MM/ELT subs and a radcon tour as RCSS on an AD,(back in the Carter/Reagan years) I'd have to say there are other navy career fields that are easier on the home life, easier on the mind and body, and offer just as good employment opportunities when you and the Navy part ways. Other career fields offer the exact same benefits as nukes both in and after service.Don't be swayed too much by stories of bonuses, pro-pay etc. There's a reason they pay those things, and I can tell you that if you think a little (and I mean a little) extra money will make it worth it-think again. I can only say that it has worked out OK for me after getting out. I know some guys who get out and never want to see a nuclear plant again in their lives. They are happy too. To sum it up: "I'm glad I did it-but I wouldn't take a million bucks to do it all over again today."

jeepgirl1:

--- Quote from: CheeseheadNuke on Nov 13, 2004, 03:05 ---I'd have to say there are other navy career fields that are easier on the home life, easier on the mind and body, and offer just as good employment opportunities when you and the Navy part ways. Other career fields offer the exact same benefits as nukes both in and after service.
--- End quote ---

What other career fields?

Gball:
ex-8year MM/ELT:

Yes, well worth it. You work hard, party hard, make a lot of friends, and life zips by. When you get out of the USN and start it all over again, but with better pay. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version