Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Delaying my diploma
honeypot

Author Topic: Delaying my diploma  (Read 7964 times)

tvpowell

Delaying my diploma
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:54 »
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the site, as I read posts often for my own information, but as of today have an original question for any and all takers.

I am a last semester senior at Rutgers University presently. I enlisted 20120802. My original ship date was 20130603, which would have enabled me to finish my degree and graduate, the whole 9. I got a call from my recruiter and spoke to a contact of mine in the nuke department this afternoon confirming that my ship date is now 20130410. This is obviously problematic for me because my semester doesn't end until May. While I could cram in all the work for the semester and have requested that my professors let me finish out early, part of me thinks this is foolish since I will be in basic for 8 weeks, then A & C schools for 15-18 months, doing intense work. I feel like delaying my bachelor's degree is not the worst thing ever, and that 8 weeks to focus on physically and mentally getting myself in shape and prepared is of much more importance. School will always be there to finish. Granted, I can qualify for OCS sooner if I finish my degree now, but the prospect of OCS is so far off as it is.

My questions are: Can anyone detail for me what being a Nuke officer entails (duty wise and any other details) compared to an enlisted nuke?

Is it worth it to push myself through grueling work for 8 weeks, to only do 8 more weeks of basic and MONTHS of power school, etc?

What is the process like for STA-21, time wise? If I apply for STA-21 as an enlisted nuke, what can I expect to face?

Also, I have heard whispers of a reenlistment bonus after completion of power school and A school. However, I also heard that if you are picked up for OCS straight out of A school, that you are not offered this bonus. Is there any validity to this?

Any information you guys can give me would be great, as by the end of the week I need to make a definitive decision about whether or not to withdraw from school and focus on basic and nuke training.

Thanks  :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Delaying my diploma
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:04 »
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the site, as I read posts often for my own information, but as of today have an original question for any and all takers.

My questions are: Can anyone detail for me what being a Nuke officer entails (duty wise and any other details) compared to an enlisted nuke?

Not that original. Hit the Forum tab, then at the 4 o'clock position of your screen there is a Search window, enter "nuke officer" or "STA-21" and then hit your Enter key.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,8324.0.html

Lots more out there. Showing initiative, such as searching, is helpful later on in the Nuclear world. Anyone desiring an officer's commission will need it.

tvpowell

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:10 »
Hi Dave,

I actually have scoured the posts and the other inquiries don't quite match. Oddly enough, I did in fact use the "search" option you name.

Thanks

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:11 »

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:18 »
As you can see from my name I'm the father of a now fully trained nuke (he goes to his boat in another week).

If I were you I'd take a look at the classes I need to graduate and try to determine which ones (if any) could be completed with transfer credits.  The reason being the nominal 18 months of nuke training can be a highly optimistic estimate these days.

As a data point our son:
1) Completed basic and shipped to A School where he hung around for 3 or 4 weeks before classing up.
2) After MM A school he waited (as I recall) another month before Power School
3) After power school he was on hold another 6 months before going to prototype.
4) I think he only waited a couple weeks after prototype to start ELT school.

Granted, he was a "worst case" for holds, but if you do end up in that situation you will be encouraged to take classes that the Navy will pay for (some of the other folks here can tell you which schools near Charleston are available). If you can bail on Rutgers now without a major withdrawal penalty, I'd say do it and wrap up the degree when it fits in with the "needs of the Navy". You're not going to need it for the next 6 years anyway  ;)

And don't worry about basic and nuke training at this point - do your DEP stuff, stay in shape and enjoy your family and friends.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2013, 03:23 by DadofFutureNuke »

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:38 »
Unless you are in some sort of terrible situation, do not ship until you finish your degree.  You agreed on a ship date after you graduated, tell your recruiter that you will not go until on or after the pre-agreed date. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:27 »
Do not leave school early, under any circumstances.  The navy cannot change your ship date without your consent.  Finish school while you can.... You never know what will come up in the future that will prevent you from going back to finish later.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

tvpowell

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:00 »
Unless you are in some sort of terrible situation, do not ship until you finish your degree.  You agreed on a ship date after you graduated, tell your recruiter that you will not go until on or after the pre-agreed date. 

My orders came from the department of the Navy. Directly mandated. There is no negotiation on this, trust me I asked if I had the option to decline. While I would love to finish, I don't think its beneficial to cram 12 weeks of work into less than 7 week period. I'd be much happier knowing I am ready physically, mentally and emotionally for the challenges ahead, if that makes sense.

tvpowell

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:02 »
Do not leave school early, under any circumstances.  The navy cannot change your ship date without your consent.  Finish school while you can.... You never know what will come up in the future that will prevent you from going back to finish later.

Cheers,

GC

I was rolled in, and everyone I've checked with said the switch is mandatory... Is there some other channel I need to communicate with?

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 »
My orders came from the department of the Navy. Directly mandated. There is no negotiation on this, trust me I asked if I had the option to decline. While I would love to finish, I don't think its beneficial to cram 12 weeks of work into less than 7 week period. I'd be much happier knowing I am ready physically, mentally and emotionally for the challenges ahead, if that makes sense.

What they don't tell you is that while you're in DEP you are not actually in the Navy.  They cannot make you ship or mandate anything of you.  I will double check with my friend who did a tour as a recruiter, but I am 99% certain of this.  Until you swear in the second time, when you ship to boot camp, you are not under their authority.  In all likelihood your recruiter needed to get their numbers up and is trying to pressure you to ship.  As a guy who is at the end of his enlistment I guarantee that you will regret not finishing your degree now.  Also, Gamecock agrees with me, which makes me more confident I'm right.

tvpowell

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:19 »
What they don't tell you is that while you're in DEP you are not actually in the Navy.  They cannot make you ship or mandate anything of you.  I will double check with my friend who did a tour as a recruiter, but I am 99% certain of this.  Until you swear in the second time, when you ship to boot camp, you are not under their authority.  In all likelihood your recruiter needed to get their numbers up and is trying to pressure you to ship.  As a guy who is at the end of his enlistment I guarantee that you will regret not finishing your degree now.  Also, Gamecock agrees with me, which makes me more confident I'm right.

What is your degree in? Mine is/will be a liberal arts degree, not a technical one. That puts me at a disadvantage for being picked up for OCS.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:31 »
What is your degree in? Mine is/will be a liberal arts degree, not a technical one. That puts me at a disadvantage for being picked up for OCS.

It was going to be Microbiology, but I shipped early.  Now it is the Thomas Edison Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology degree (which is now ABET accredited).  You know what else puts you at a disadvantage for OCS?  Not having a degree, because they are required.  I can't tell you what to do, but I strongly advise waiting until your degree is finished (which is what you were intending on doing anyways).  If you decide to cave in and ship early it won't be the end of the world, but don't expect to finish your degree until you are fully qualified in the fleet (~3-3.5 years after bootcamp). 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 »
Tell your recruiter that you will gladly ship early, as soon as the commanding officer of the recruiting district calls you to discuss the reasons why the contract you signed is no longer valid. 

Then, don't be surprised when that call never comes.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?