Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question regarding things to work on before I get out.

Author Topic: Question regarding things to work on before I get out.  (Read 4755 times)

Offline kdub1200

• Very Lite User
I've only been in for about 2 1/2 years, but I want to start working on things now that'll help me in civilian life. I plan on being in 8-10 years (EM). I'm going to qualifying EWS as soon as they let me, and in the meantime I'll work on my nuclear engineering technology degree from TESC, after which I plan on working on an electrical engineering degree. Is there anything else I could do while I'm still in that would look particularly good on my resume?

I just see a lot of people that have been in seemingly forever and don't really have much to show for it, lazy people not EWS qual'd, large majority of people not working on degrees, I really don't want to fall into that category.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Question regarding things to work on before I get out.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:29 »
I've only been in for about 2 1/2 years, but I want to start working on things now that'll help me in civilian life. I plan on being in 8-10 years (EM). I'm going to qualifying EWS as soon as they let me, and in the meantime I'll work on my nuclear engineering technology degree from TESC, after which I plan on working on an electrical engineering degree. Is there anything else I could do while I'm still in that would look particularly good on my resume?

I just see a lot of people that have been in seemingly forever and don't really have much to show for it, lazy people not EWS qual'd, large majority of people not working on degrees, I really don't want to fall into that category.

Most of those lazy people not EWS qual'd (sic) started off as nubs too lazy to use a Search feature!!  :-\

Offline kdub1200

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2013, 12:59 »
I did a brief search, but most of the posts I saw were more geared towards the transition to civilian life (resumes and whatnot) whereas I'm looking for things I can still do while I'm in the Navy beyond the basic college/ews qual's. Couldn't really find anything newish so I figured I'd just ask, but thanks anyways.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2013, 01:39 »
Well, it's good to have a plan,...

EWS with one, maybe two degrees during an 8 to 10 year stint?!?!?

It's a pretty good plan,...

If you know you're getting out, do not waste too much time on all the USN career enhancing peripheral BS,...

Do a good job, do what you need to get the EWS and the degrees and enjoy as much of your life as you will have left,...

If you reset at year eight, nine or ten and decide to stay USN you may find you got yourself behind the curve by not playing all the USN career enhancement cards,....

But, that'll be your burden to bear,...

Whatever you decide don't stay in for the guaranteed medical, they're giving that away for free now to people who never sacrificed anything for anybody else, the reasons to stay in keep getting smaller, aside from unemployment that is,...

Thanks for your service and get hot, those years go by quicker than you can imagine they do when you're on the far side looking back,...

8)
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013, 04:32 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2013, 04:08 »

Get your degree(s).

Don't worry about EWS.  It will not be a sure thing you get to qualify and it doesn't carry any weight that a degree doesn't.  In fact nothing you can do now would hold a candle to finishing a BS except maybe a Master Degree ;)

Its your call.

Mac
ex-nav sub nuke diver enlisted with a degree
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2013, 04:12 by MacGyver »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?