Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ship choice  

Author Topic: Ship choice  (Read 14403 times)

Offline jdanner

• Lurker
Ship choice
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:45 »
If you become a nuke can you choose weather you want to be on a ship or a sub and if so can you choose what kind of sub?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Ship choice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:03 »
No,.........

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline jdanner

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2013, 06:18 »
so is it luck of the draw wether you are on a sub or not?

MacGyver

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:11 »
If you become a nuke can you choose weather you want to be on a ship or a sub and if so can you choose what kind of sub?

Yes & No.

Yes you must volunteer for sub's.  If you don't you go to a carrier (i.e. ship, sic).

No you can't choose a fast boat or boomer.  That is very fluid.  Or should I say "needs of the navy"?.?.?.?.?

So,,, it depends.

YMWV

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:14 »
so is it luck of the draw wether you are on a sub or not?

At least you didn't say weather (sic) like your last post.

No, it's not luck (sic).  It's all skill ;)

drayer54

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:33 »
You can not sub vol, then ask for a naw-fulk based carrier.

That's about the closest you can get to choosing.

That's what I did.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:48 »
I'm sure there's an empty rack on the Abe or Bldg. 65 that the poster can get, if ya hurry!  :P

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:53 »
Pretty much the last choice you will be able to make on your own, until you decide to reenlist or separate, is raising your hand and swearing the oath the second time.

Learn this phrase, you will see it again, especially when it comes to what you want to do;

"The needs of the Navy."

On a more serious note, these are questions any Navy recruiter should be able to answer for you. 

Offline Utavon

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2013, 04:25 »
You can not sub vol, then ask for a naw-fulk based carrier.

That's about the closest you can get to choosing.

That's what I did.

I know of a Nuke who volunteered subs and asked for anything west coast or on an island, and he was given the USS Enterprise out of Norfolk, VA.

So there's that.

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:10 »
Ok so unless you're an Academy Grad, you really don't get a choice.  As said above, you can pick to volunteer for submarine duty or not.

If you do volunteer:

-90% of the time people who volunteer go to submarines, but don't get to chose the submarine they go to.
-You still have a slight possibility of going to an Aircraft Carrier, but the odds are slim.  Why volunteer for submarines and then want to go Aircraft Carrier lol?

If you don't:

-You'll be assigned to an Carrier, but not of your choice.

That's about it.

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2013, 08:22 »
Ok so unless you're an Academy Grad, you really don't get a choice.  As said above, you can pick to volunteer for submarine duty or not.

If you do volunteer:

-90% of the time people who volunteer go to submarines, but don't get to chose the submarine they go to.
-You still have a slight possibility of going to an Aircraft Carrier, but the odds are slim.  Why volunteer for submarines and then want to go Aircraft Carrier lol?

If you don't:

-You'll be assigned to an Carrier, but not of your choice.

That's about it.

WTF OVER ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Let me get this straight.  You're at the Naval Academy and only completed 2/3rds of Naval Nuclear Power School?  Have I got this right?

How do you know anything about getting cut orders?!?!?!?!?!

You are repeating what I said and in the process adding incorrect info.

It is not a lock on sub service by just volunteering.  In fact of my class of vol's (re: sub vol) only 20% of those that volunteered got a sub.  So in case you have trouble with the math that would 80% of the volunteer's went to a carrier!!!!!!

Stick to what you know and stop acting like you know.  You have OCD (outwardly corrupt data).

You're not even a navy nuke for goodness sake.

It's to bad they let ya'll have any computer privileges.  You should be out PTing.  Because if you ain't gonna be smart you'd better be strong.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2013, 08:24 by MacGyver »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:11 »
WTF OVER ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Let me get this straight.  You're at the Naval Academy and only completed 2/3rds of Naval Nuclear Power School?  Have I got this right?

How do you know anything about getting cut orders?!?!?!?!?!

But..but...the poster got picked up in a really awesome program:

4. Naval Academy -  This is where my role comes into play.  I was accepted to the Naval Academy while still in NFAS, but didn't leave until well into NPS. (Over 2/3rds into it.)  Typically the pick up rate for this commissioning program is about 60 - 70%, but requires extensive patients and paperwork to be filled.  If you want it bad enough, I would definitely say the Academy is worth it.  However, you will be quite tested, and it might be difficult moving from rank to nothingness.

1. 60-70% chance? That's awesome!! I should go get a fake ID and a liposuction, and apply today! Dang that USNA is a sweeeet deal!

2. "quite tested" ?!? Is that like "Pork, Twice Tasted"? "Rank to nothingness"? For being allegedly a cadet at USNA with English as a Second Language skills, you seem to lack too much information to be legit.

Whether you're typing from an Xbox360 or from the Harbin Institute of Technology, just give it a rest. The DEP kids will find out the real deal when they go through the pipeline, and the rest of us ain't buying it.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:37 »
But..but...the poster got picked up in a really awesome program:

1. 60-70% chance? That's awesome!! I should go get a fake ID and a liposuction, and apply today! Dang that USNA is a sweeeet deal!

2. "quite tested" ?!? Is that like "Pork, Twice Tasted"? "Rank to nothingness"? For being allegedly a cadet at USNA with English as a Second Language skills, you seem to lack too much information to be legit.

Whether you're typing from an Xbox360 or from the Harbin Institute of Technology, just give it a rest. The DEP kids will find out the real deal when they go through the pipeline, and the rest of us ain't buying it.

Not to mention the "extensive patients" you must have. Does that mean you have to have a lot, like this?

Or a fat one?  ???

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2013, 12:01 »
The recruiters should be able to answer this question, but they'll probably paint an over-optimistic picture of OP's influence on the decision process during a Sailor's first enlistment. This is for a breadth of reasons, not the least of which that the recruiter is probably a BM2 off of a cruiser or some other skimmer, non-nuke rating and doesn't want to admit he doesn't know anything about the nuclear career path which he just sold you.

This will be your first tour:

-Boot camp in Great Lakes
-A school in Charleston
-NNPS in Charleston
-Prototype in Charleston or NY. You will get to put a preference sheet, which they'll give preference to married people.
-Somewhere in there you can volunteer for sub service and will find out if you got it.
-Toward the end of prototype you submit a dream sheet for duty stations. If you are a sub vol it will break it down by sub type, but other than WA ports don't mix and match fast attacks with boomers. It is just that -- a dream sheet. They may or may not honor it because the needs of the Navy take precedence. I know guys who got their 1st choice and guys who got their 7th.
-You may be offered a staff pickup job. That incurs an extra 2 year commitment. You stay as an instructor at prototype for 2 years. That's your shore duty.
-You spend the next 3.5 years on a ship. If you reenlist, you spend 1-1.5 more years on the ship before shore duty.
-Your first shore duty assignment is when you have a remote chance of bargaining for orders, but depending on your rating and performance your choice might be prototype NY or prototype Charleston.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2013, 02:26 by spekkio »

Offline REllis

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2013, 04:02 »
I was a sub vol. Filled out my dream sheet for subs west coast. I added no carrier, no east coast. Then I was going to be picked up for staff pick up. After most of my class left prototype they found out 2 women were in next class and they had to pick them up. This was before women were allowed to go to sea. I refilled out dream sheet with same choices and ended up on carrier east coast. Needs of the navy. Good luck.

Offline REllis

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 08, 2013, 04:42 »
By the way. Carriers weren't as bad as I had been lead to believe.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2013, 07:27 »
Carrier duty, even 30 years ago, was pretty good.  I suspect it is much better these days with internet access and other crew morale improvements.    Saw lots of great foreign places while aboard CVN-68.
Dave

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2013, 01:42 »
By the way. Carriers weren't as bad as I had been lead to believe.
I could never figure out what compelled nukes to go subs vs. carriers.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but when faced with a choice of:
-3 section duty with possible port/stbd watch rotations vs. 4-5 section duty
-3 section watch rotation on a boat that stores garbage next to its food, both of which you step over for 6 hours to stand your watch vs. 5 section watch rotation on a ship that can get rid of its garbage and store food in a proper location.
-passive communications only that don't download email on station vs. near constant access to email loved ones
-hot racking and half a bed-pan for storage even as an E-6 vs. having your own rack and a storage locker.
-A table for E-6s on crew's mess that the COB disbanded because he thinks they suck vs. an E-6 mess hall
-And at the end of the day, the job you do on a day-to-day basis is nearly identical...

I can't figure out why people choose the former for their lifestyle. Perhaps it's a pride/ego thing, perhaps it's naive 18-yr-olds who don't realize that working with women really isn't as terrible as some make it out to be.

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2013, 01:56 »
Okay, maybe I can make it through all of that. Does this mean that I might possibly be assigned to a sub after my two years of school. Because I think I'd rather be on a ship. My recruiter says I probably won't have to worry about it because women on subs is a fairly new thing, but what do yall think. Please don't bite my head off if that is a dumb question because I really don't know.
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

Offline A Random ETN1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2013, 09:11 »
unless you are married or have a committed relationship DON'T EVER CHOOSE A SHIP IN REFUELING COMPLEX OVERHAUL. It is by far the WORST experience ever especially for a first command. I'm serious on this one. The watch rotation gets BAD during overhaul and the four letter friends (NRRO, RPCO)  and three letter friends (MTT) are there CONSTANTLY and are out to screw you.

The only other thing I'd add is that any carrier going to japan has additional requirements (no physical fitness failures, no captain's mast)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2013, 01:32 »
The only way to end up on a submarine is to volunteer for it. If you don't volunteer for subs, you won't be assigned to one.

HeavyD

« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2013, 07:15 »
To clarify, there are currently ZERO enlisted female submarine billets.

The Navy is currently running a pilot program with several (around 10, if I recall correctly) female JOs (Junior Officers) on a couple of boomers (ballistic missile subs).

Offline klj3827

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2013, 08:31 »
To clarify, there are currently ZERO enlisted female submarine billets.

The Navy is currently running a pilot program with several (around 10, if I recall correctly) female JOs (Junior Officers) on a couple of boomers (ballistic missile subs).

The current JOs are on both BNs and GNs, and some have been selected for attack subs (VIRGINIA Class). 
Enlisted females are being phased in to the VIRGINIA Class fleet, as well.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130124/CAREERS/301240311/Mabus-First-women-selected-for-attack-subs
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2013, 08:32 by klj3827 »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2013, 09:14 »
The current JOs are on both BNs and GNs, and some have been selected for attack subs (VIRGINIA Class). 
Enlisted females are being phased in to the VIRGINIA Class fleet, as well.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130124/CAREERS/301240311/Mabus-First-women-selected-for-attack-subs

Unless the Virginia class is significantly different than the 688s and old 637s that I rode operating systems were integral with berthing. The last statement in the article states that exclusions are based on berthing. It does not sound consistent.

HeavyD

« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:24 »
It's good to see some progress on this front on the Navy's part.

I had been on the ENTERPRISE for about a year when the program was opened back up to women, along with the assignment of women to ship's other than tenders.  My experience with women, as an instructor and on two other carriers, was that women in the Navy are no different than women on the outside (or even men for that matter).  A percentage will try everything in their power to get ahead by means other than working.  The vast majority simply wanted to be treated like everyone else while they did their job.

Referring back to the OP's original question, once you join the word "choice" becomes somewhat limited for you.  Accept it early and work with it as you can and you will have less trouble than those who think that their needs are more important than the "needs of the Navy".

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?