Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting in with an Accounting Degree...
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting in with an Accounting Degree...  (Read 5837 times)

Offline ljg2742

• Lurker
Getting in with an Accounting Degree...
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:56 »
Hello everyone, I was just curious if I can get in the Nuclear Industry with an Accounting Degree? I was once a Math major in college, but I decided that I would go into Accounting to work for a Big 4 Accounting firm. I will be finished with my degree in December of 2013, but I'm not sure that I want to stay in the Accounting field because I don't want to sit behind a desk all of my life. I applied for a job in Arkansas, but I was thinking that they would turn me down... I've also taken College Algebra/Trig and Calculus and passed both of the classes with A's. What are my chances of getting a NLO job?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Getting in with an Accounting Degree...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:06 »
Hello everyone, I was just curious if I can get in the Nuclear Industry with an Accounting Degree? I was once a Math major in college, but I decided that I would go into Accounting to work for a Big 4 Accounting firm. I will be finished with my degree in December of 2013, but I'm not sure that I want to stay in the Accounting field because I don't want to sit behind a desk all of my life. I applied for a job in Arkansas, but I was thinking that they would turn me down... I've also taken College Algebra/Trig and Calculus and passed both of the classes with A's. What are my chances of getting a NLO job?

50/50. You will or you won't. Look online at some utilities where you would work, send a resume, and apply.

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:51 »
Great at a plant that is not so competitve for positions. Some plants have a flood of applicants and others admit anyone who can pass a POSS/Piss test.

I'd imagine you could get in at some places and wouldn't discourage you at all from applying. Although I'd be using my accounting degree if it were me.

good luck!

Content1

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:05 »
How hard is it to get accounting jobs?  The job sounds more stable then the temporary nature of nuc jobs.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:55 »
How hard will be based on your skill set and their need. Look for Project Controls positions. Also spend some time getting conversant with Project Management vocabulary. EVM, BCWP, BCWS, etc. Then contact Sun Technical and The Spear Group. Both of these companies hire project controls personnel for short and long term work. And be persistent.

Offline ljg2742

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:18 »
I applied for the Auxiliary Operator position that Entergy has open in Russellville, Arkansas. They have 30 openings. Even though I almost through with my degree, I wasn't really sure if Accounting is the profession that I want to enter...

Also, are Auxiliary Operator positions only temporary? I thought they were long term and full time positions. Plus, I wouldn't mind working all the extra overtime. The industry that I am working in now has long hours and rotating shifts so I am kind of use to the culture already. I have been working with my company since July of 1999, which means I don't jump from job to job. I just want to get in a profession where I can move around and make some money    :)

Willy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:46 »
Auxiliary Operator positions are long term as long as you do what your supposed to do, like pass your test, get qualified, and obey the rules. 

Offline allenmurrow

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2013, 03:54 »
The math and accounting aspect will help to some amount in that they can be reassured that you will likely excel in math related subjects during training or at least that you have good study habits.

I was hired as an NLO (AO) without a full degree but I also had some mechanical background with prior jobs (Machinist and Hydraulic Technician).

Good Luck!
Generic Fundamentals Study Website for BWRs & PWRs
http://nuclear.allenmurrow.com

Offline Stiddmeista

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:11 »
I have a degree in Marketing and I am currently getting my AS in Power Plant Technology from Indian River State College.  Florida Power and Light hires directly from this program for Electrical, Mechanical, and Instruments and Controls.  They are also looking to start NLO classes in the near future.  When I graduated I put in for an NLO position and was beat out by several Navy Nukes, but I also was pulled in to work outages just to get my foot in the door.  Accounting may not be the death of you though.  My advice is to just throw a bunch of feelers out since the basic qualifications require you to have a high school degree and pass the POSS test which is pretty easy if you have any mechanical knowledge and don't fold under time constraints.  Good Luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?