Facility & Company Information > Peach Bottom

Nuclear Chem Tech

<< < (3/4) > >>

johnnyhqle:

--- Quote from: GLW on Mar 09, 2013, 09:24 ---fair enough,...did you apply at the NRC?!?

--- End quote ---

I applied to a few openings at the NRC on USAJobs but no bites so far. I applied to a few naval shipyards too and no bites. All I can do is wait and see who responds to my applications.

I am going to the ANS conference this spring and hopefully they'll have some companies there with openings.

hamsamich:
I've been a chem tech, an RP tech, and an operator.  Operations as an NLO to me is on the same par as RP or Chem tech, although Chem Techs and RP Techs may make a little more money.  RO or SRO (also Operations) is obviously on a higher plane in money and more complex.  But different plants are sometimes very different in approaches.  Some Chem Techs (like at Salem) do way more operations type stuff and have many other duties when compared to what an average chem tech does at most plants.  But don't worry about any of this.  Best to get your foot in the door and then move over to another position when it becomes available in house.  Most places need operators more than other positions;  so getting in as something other than an operator will give you a chance to do something different on your way to ops.  It is harder to leave ops than to goto ops once you are in house.  Especially if you have an RO or SRO.  This is not always the case but more often than not.

johnnyhqle:

--- Quote from: hamsamich on Mar 10, 2013, 12:49 ---I've been a chem tech, an RP tech, and an operator.  Operations as an NLO to me is on the same par as RP or Chem tech, although Chem Techs and RP Techs may make a little more money.  RO or SRO (also Operations) is obviously on a higher plane in money and more complex.  But different plants are sometimes very different in approaches.  Some Chem Techs (like at Salem) do way more operations type stuff and have many other duties when compared to what an average chem tech does at most plants.  But don't worry about any of this.  Best to get your foot in the door and then move over to another position when it becomes available in house.  Most places need operators more than other positions;  so getting in as something other than an operator will give you a chance to do something different on your way to ops.  It is harder to leave ops than to goto ops once you are in house.  Especially if you have an RO or SRO.  This is not always the case but more often than not.

--- End quote ---

Well from the numbers I was told when doing some different interviews, a NSO position at one reactor (my number 1 choice) is about 75k, the Nuke/Chem tech position is offering about 64k. I just hope I get something once I graduate.

hamsamich:
starting at almost 40 an hour for NLO with no experience seems high even with a good degree.  nso may be something different, like coming in as an instant sro candidate.  we maybe talking about 2 different things here.  31ish/hour for chem tech sounds more likely starting.

johnnyhqle:

--- Quote from: hamsamich on Mar 10, 2013, 04:29 ---starting at almost 40 an hour for NLO with no experience seems high even with a good degree.  nso may be something different, like coming in as an instant sro candidate.  we maybe talking about 2 different things here.  31ish/hour for chem tech sounds more likely starting.

--- End quote ---

To be more exact..Chem Tech is about $30.90/hr and the NSO is about $37/hr. The NSO position is definitely an entry position because they train you for 6 months to become a non licensed operator and after some experience we can take the test to become a licensed reactor operator. That's what my hiring rep told me at least.

Hamsamich, could you tell me anything about what you did as a Chem Tech and your experience in that field? I've seen other chem techs, and a lot of them work solo in a lab or in a small team of 2-3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version