Facility & Company Information > Peach Bottom

Nuclear Chem Tech

<< < (2/4) > >>

nukewood:
I raised my family in the area -good memories , great friends among the Amish and the Mennonites.

johnnyhqle:

--- Quote from: Laundry Man on Mar 08, 2013, 09:20 ---Peach is out in the middle of nowhere as stated.  Back roads all the way in.  Starting as a Chem Tech doesn't sound so bad.  If you wanted the operator or engineer, why didn't you wait for those openings?
LM

--- End quote ---

I will be graduating this May with a Chemical Engineering degree with a concentration in Nuclear Engineering so I applied everywhere. The opportunity for an operator or engineering position also doesn't come around too often (from what i've found). If I get this position it will be a good stepping stone for me into the industry that may turn into something better. If another opportunity comes up, who knows what i'll do.

Are technicians considered lower than operators and engineers?

GLW:

--- Quote from: johnnyhqle on Mar 09, 2013, 07:23 ---I will be graduating this May with a Chemical Engineering degree with a concentration in Nuclear Engineering so I applied everywhere.....

--- End quote ---

Did you apply at the NRC?

--- Quote from: johnnyhqle on Mar 09, 2013, 07:23 ---....The opportunity for an operator or engineering position also doesn't come around too often (from what i've found)......

--- End quote ---

The opportunities for people without experience is what you are finding,...

your education is excellent, more than what is needed for a chem tech,...

it's your experience which is near zero in a field chock a block full of folks with 20 years plus of that part of the employment equation,...

--- Quote from: johnnyhqle on Mar 09, 2013, 07:23 ---....Are technicians considered lower than operators and engineers?

--- End quote ---

different is not synonymous with lower,...

johnnyhqle:

--- Quote from: GLW on Mar 09, 2013, 08:05 ---different is not synonymous with lower,...

--- End quote ---

In no way was I trying to imply that Techs ARE lower or higher than Operators or Engineers. I just hear a lot of other students at my university talking down about Technician jobs and like you said, my education is more than needed for a chem tech which implies some sort of hierarchy.

And you are right, my biggest flaw is my work experience. I also have been working in a lab for the past 4 years as a lab tech..which might explain why I was contacted for this position...

GLW:

--- Quote from: johnnyhqle on Mar 09, 2013, 09:09 ---In no way was I trying to imply that Techs ARE lower or higher than Operators or Engineers. I just hear a lot of other students at my university talking down about Technician jobs and like you said, my education is more than needed for a chem tech which implies some sort of hierarchy.

And you are right, my biggest flaw is my work experience. I also have been working in a lab for the past 4 years as a lab tech..which might explain why I was contacted for this position...

--- End quote ---

fair enough,...did you apply at the NRC?!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version