Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Found Medically Unfit honeypot

Author Topic: Found Medically Unfit  (Read 14005 times)

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
Found Medically Unfit
« on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:13 »
So I did well in A school and Power school but managed to break my arm a month before prototype and now looks like I will be getting separated. I have some college but no degree. I realize I have no experience having not been through prototype so am I pretty much out of luck getting a job at a nuclear plant? As an ET what jobs could I possibly be a fit for in a non nuclear plant? Thanks in advance for any advice
Edit: I will be moving back to Florida but would be willing to move where necessary to obtain a job...
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2013, 09:16 by newclearmoose »

Offline dea

• Light User
Re: Found Medically Unfit
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2013, 12:00 »
Probably Instrument Tech, but it might be worth giving Ops a shot since you got through power school. Good Luck!!

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:33 »
Are these nuclear positions?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:17 »
Are these nuclear positions?

Would the paycheck still cash if they weren't?

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:17 »
Would the paycheck still cash if they weren't?
Obviously. It would just be a little difficult to apply for these jobs at a gas plant if they were not offered there... I dont even know what they entail, Im just trying to get an idea about what Im applying for

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:14 »
Probably Instrument Tech, but it might be worth giving Ops a shot since you got through power school. Good Luck!!

Doubtful.  I don't think he would be considered for an I&C job, given his circumstances.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2013, 04:46 »
thanks for the help ::)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2013, 05:43 »

Let's take the question from a different angle...what do you have experience doing, what job(s) are you willing to take, and in what locations? Might help narrow down some successful answers or guidance.

MacGyver

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:19 »

Go back to school.  Finish college even if it's only an Associate degree.

Most employers have some form of TA.  Then finish your B.S. (or more; i.e. Masters).

I have no idea what you would be best suited for in the real world.  I bet'cha you have some ideas.  Throw'em out for us to help you go over.

Anyway, no one here can con'jur'up a job for you.  Contrary to what they told you before during and after nuke power school no employers are lined up waiting for the next separating navy nuke offering six figures and a cushy job.  I've worked harder (without going to sea) in the civilian world than I ever did in navy to get what I've got.  So are you ready to get yours?!?!?!?! (Without looking for a handout?)

Offline MGH

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:49 »
It's interesting how we thought our Navy experience would be the sole determinant in our career path for the rest of our lives.

It's a factor, but nothing more.

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2013, 06:55 »
Not much job experience before the Navy. Fast food, car wash, and some general labor at a shipyard. I went to college but dropped out due to poor grades. I considered going back but I talked to someone in admissions and she said after 5 years I get a "fresh start". Meaning I guess that my GPA gets reset. I dont know about my credits. I had about 90 but it was across 3 majors so no Associate. That being said I will probably try that in about 2-3 years.

I talked a MMCS and he said I might be able to get into Aux Ops.I was thinking about trying to get into St Lucie or Turkey Point  since it seems nobody likes it there I might be able to get in. Is that plausible?
I would like to stay in the utilities field in general. I'm open to coal, gas, or any other types there.
Being from Florida thats where I was focusing but I am definitely open to moving. I joined the military after all...
Outside FL I was looking mainly at TX and TN.
Not looking to start out at 6 figures or even half that. I think I made about 30k so if I can get close to that I should be fine since I will be getting some disability.
Forgot to mention that I had a wife and kid. Probably doesnt change anything. She is open to getting away from family too ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 07:16 by newclearmoose »

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:35 »
Not much job experience before the Navy. Fast food, car wash, and some general labor at a shipyard. I went to college but dropped out due to poor grades. I considered going back but I talked to someone in admissions and she said after 5 years I get a "fresh start". Meaning I guess that my GPA gets reset. I dont know about my credits. I had about 90 but it was across 3 majors so no Associate. That being said I will probably try that in about 2-3 years.

I talked a MMCS and he said I might be able to get into Aux Ops.I was thinking about trying to get into St Lucie or Turkey Point  since it seems nobody likes it there I might be able to get in. Is that plausible?
I would like to stay in the utilities field in general. I'm open to coal, gas, or any other types there.
Being from Florida thats where I was focusing but I am definitely open to moving. I joined the military after all...
Outside FL I was looking mainly at TX and TN.
Not looking to start out at 6 figures or even half that. I think I made about 30k so if I can get close to that I should be fine since I will be getting some disability.
Forgot to mention that I had a wife and kid. Probably doesnt change anything. She is open to getting away from family too ;D

If you're not out yet get down to your ESO and dantes/clep everything under the sun that is first two years of college.  Add your A School and NNPS,,, whaa laa you've got the makings of an Associate Degree.

As for FP&L, my sources tell me that you will need an internal reference if you want to be competitive.  I don't work for'em so I don't know the skinny on the validatity of that info.

If it was me I would look at combined cycle and hydro before I went down the road of dirt burner (i.e. coal).  I am sure you will understand why (e.g. politics).

Finish college,,, SERIOUSLY!!!!! Ask around with all of us ole timers (navy wise) and its tops on our list to do before separation.  Or after.  It's a long story.  Don't ask, don't tell ;)

Nuclear is an option but don't let it define you.  (i.e. resume, personal and in interviews)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013, 09:36 by MacGyver »

Offline dmcgn37

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2013, 11:39 »
If your medically unfit make sure you document every bit of medical issue you ever had while in the navy. You will need this when dealing with the VA later in life. The VA has several different educational programs that you may qualify for...use them. I spent almost 8 years in the navy and got medicaly discharged. I'm now going to Engineering school for Electrical Engineering at Ohio Northern University and uncle sam is picking up the $45k/year tab. Look up your local VA clinic and see if they have an American Legion service Officer there. The Service Officer should be able to give you a rundown on what VA benefits are available after you get out. Hope that helps.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2013, 11:48 »
If your medically unfit make sure you document every bit of medical issue you ever had while in the navy.
This is what is wrong with society today. Everybody wants something for nothing. 

The OP broke his arm..... after it heals, he is getting discharged.  He isn't entitled to FREE care or anything else after being discharged. 

Meanwhile, we have retired folks who have served honorably for an entire career, who keep seeing the cost of their earned medical benefit rise every year.  Makes me want to puke!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2013, 05:18 »
Well technically I shattered my radial head and it had to be replaced with an implant. The surgeon put a 5lb limit on the implant in my dominant arm for the rest of my life. I will also add that it happened on base due to improper/ lack of maintenance on some equipment I was using.

I have MGIB and Post 911 GI and the VA has some program that I will be looking into too. I was more interested in getting to work but seems like I will be needing to go back to school first the more I look around.

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2013, 05:32 »
Well technically I shattered my radial head and it had to be replaced with an implant. The surgeon put a 5lb limit on the implant in my dominant arm for the rest of my life. I will also add that it happened on base due to improper/ lack of maintenance on some equipment I was using.

I have MGIB and Post 911 GI and the VA has some program that I will be looking into too. I was more interested in getting to work but seems like I will be needing to go back to school first the more I look around.

If you haven't been discharged yet please go see your ESO and take all the cleps you can while they are still free.

Once out you can still work and in some cases still draw your benny's.  All the while earning your A.S. in electronics or nuclear technology.

You then finish your B.S. at minimal expense while working through TA or left over benny's from your Uncle Sam.

You can do both.  Or you could go the traditional route.  I did both.  I preferred distance learning while I worked.

YMMV

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2013, 05:47 »

The 5# limit pretty much rules out Ops, and even I&C/Relay/Rad Protection techs climb ladders and carry toolbags. Would have been helpful to know at beginning of the thread. This may even preclude working in Ops Support/Design Engineering, as that containment entries and climbing do (rarely) happen. That would all depend on how the utility writes the position description and job duties.

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2013, 06:17 »

Look at the links below:
http://www.123collegedegree.com/bsintro.html
http://clep.collegeboard.org/military
http://www.virtualstudent.com/step-by-step-how-to-use-clep-and-dantes-to-earn-college-credit/
http://m.military.com/education/timesaving-programs/dantes-college-credit-by-examination-program.html
http://www.degreeinfo.com/clep-dantes-other-exams-credit/41918-fastest-way-earn-credits-through-dsst-dantes-clep.html
http://www.bain4weeks.com/

It might not be for you.  But it's an option.  Testing for college credit is something that I wished I had done.  No one offered me this advice.  I wished they had.  College is a business.  They want your money.  It is not in their best interest to help you avoid paying full fare.

Advice offered free of charge.

Also, HydroDave is right.  A 5lb limit will be a handicap for future work.  At least as an operator.  Most Ops Dept's require you qualify fire brigade.  You can't with your current limits.

Mac

Offline dmcgn37

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:39 »
"This is what is wrong with society today. Everybody wants something for nothing. 

The OP broke his arm..... after it heals, he is getting discharged.  He isn't entitled to FREE care or anything else after being discharged. 

Meanwhile, we have retired folks who have served honorably for an entire career, who keep seeing the cost of their earned medical benefit rise every year.  Makes me want to puke!"

So the OP should just be put out with the rest of the trash since he got hurt? This is one of my major pet peeves about the Navy in particular... How they treat their hurt sailors.  This kid did more than most the people out there who get some sort of govt assistance did. He raised his right hand and tried his best to serve his country. While I respect that fact that those who did their 20 and retired get a good retirement, Ive seen first hand how the military takes people hurt on active  duty and gives them a 10 percent rating and tells them to fight with the VA for the rest. Tell me if that is right either? The OP is entitled to file a VA claim and should, especially if he will have trouble finding meaningful employment after the navy because of his injury. Sir, I will say it is responses like yours that make disabled veterans want to puke.

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:54 »
Ok let me shed some light on the subject. I have TWO radial head injuries. The radial head is your funny bone and yes it is a disabling injury. I had one surgically excised and the other remains broken. Most likely his injury will hurt like hell the rest of his life and eventually his hand will start tingling and burning. The injury does qualify him for 10% disability as it will never go away.
One item I do cry BS on is the 5 pound limit. I had the worst radial head injuries possible and I can lift more than 5 pounds per arm though if I do it repetitiously my elbows will stop working for awhile. I can also climb ladders and turn valves. At one time I was qualified fire brigade and passed all annual training. It all depends on what he makes of it.

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2013, 07:50 »
Ok let me shed some light on the subject. I have TWO radial head injuries. The radial head is your funny bone and yes it is a disabling injury. I had one surgically excised and the other remains broken. Most likely his injury will hurt like hell the rest of his life and eventually his hand will start tingling and burning. The injury does qualify him for 10% disability as it will never go away.
One item I do cry BS on is the 5 pound limit. I had the worst radial head injuries possible and I can lift more than 5 pounds per arm though if I do it repetitiously my elbows will stop working for awhile. I can also climb ladders and turn valves. At one time I was qualified fire brigade and passed all annual training. It all depends on what he makes of it.
The argument of my second opinion doc who was trying to help me stay in was just that. He said there was no basis for the 5 pound limit and the fact that I had been doing push ups and benching proved that. Also said that if it failed it could just be removed and it would act like yours, resected. Still the Navy doc took the surgeons advice. Yes I am physically able to lift more but like you said it hurts a little in the elbow and wrist after a while.
I am not looking for any handouts, just some advice. Theres no way I'm gonna sit on the couch for 70 years and collect disability. I will go insane. I looked into CLEPing but I have 90ish credits already so there weren't many classes that I needed and they offered. I need 12k words for my AA which can't be tested out of. I am going to go back to school I think and try to get hired by a local utility for some experience.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?