Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New enlistee questions honeypot

Author Topic: New enlistee questions  (Read 15045 times)

Offline MacDaddy

• Lurker
New enlistee questions
« on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:01 »
Greetings everyone. I am a 20 year old, that DEP'd in on August 1st 2012. I have a few questions pertaining to the NUC program and living life style. I have read many of the previous topics on the site, and I found your insight very useful. However, I found that many of the posts were years or even a decade ago, and I am not sure if places, courses, or anything else has changed since then. This is why I made an account and a new topic so I can get my own questions (hopefully) answered.

First, I am married to my wonderful wife, who is pregnant now. We did not plan this, but now my recruiter has told me to stay hush about it to the navy. He thinks that if he does paper work on me it will have to be resubmitted to the head of the NUC enlistment in my area. Apparently me having a child could take away my chance at being a nuke. This worries me, for right now, I have a pregnant wife, who doesn't know where we'll be and/or if the navy will help pay for medical stuff once I'm in or not. You can see our worries. So does anyone know how true this is, or what my choices may be, just any thought at all may help me right now.

Second, I hear that the nuke work is simply scrubbing stuff like oil buckets. Is it? I feel that the schooling is a waste of time if that's all. I work at McD's and I'm not against getting a much higher pay for about the same thing to me. It's just I wanted to get a job in the navy that will allow me a good civilian job after my six years (if i don't reenlist). I had a 4.0 GPA in high school, and overwhelmed myself my first year and dropped my GPA to a 3.2.. I know our economy is rough, so I didn't want to be in debt and not find a job. I have a full 32 credit hours worth of college behind me now, and from what I understand the "pipeline" schooling is about 70 credit hours of college right? So if you were in my shoes, with a child on the way, a wife to take care of too, possibly only 32 credits away from a bachelors after my pipeline schooling, wouldn't you do this? No debt (since the GI bill supplies me with 84,000 right?), a decent pay, since I'd start as a nuke, insurance is practically free... or so I heard (is that true too? what type of coverage would I get and for my family?).

Third, which career choice MM, ET, or EM would be the best for pursuing a nuclear plant job later, and what type of degree should I acquire if I want a job in a nuclear plant?

Last, I love to lead. I really do. I was drum captain for 4 years in high school, I taught, drilled, and played in band the whole time, whether marching, music or even discipline. I would be a manager after only 6 months of work at McD's but they know I'm leaving soon, so the promotion won't happen. So OCS interests me. I'm too old and married to go to the Naval Academy, and I have to many credit hours to do the scholarship for NROTC. I am aware of STA-21 (I think that's the right abrev.), and I would be happy to take it if possible. I don't really care if I am an officer in the nuclear field or if they would want me to be a lawyer, I'm pretty content with everything and I really don't mind doing any type of work. Would they have to pick me for some type of officer training? Is it possible that I could do it myself by just signing up once in? I just don't know.

Thank you for reading, and for your comments and concerns.

I proudly serve my country's navy combat team with Honor, Courage, and Commitment

Offline Title Loan Man

• Very Lite User
Re: New enlistee questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2013, 04:20 »
First, I am married to my wonderful wife, who is pregnant now. We did not plan this, but now my recruiter has told me to stay hush about it to the navy. He thinks that if he does paper work on me it will have to be resubmitted to the head of the NUC enlistment in my area. Apparently me having a child could take away my chance at being a nuke. This worries me, for right now, I have a pregnant wife, who doesn't know where we'll be and/or if the navy will help pay for medical stuff once I'm in or not. You can see our worries. So does anyone know how true this is, or what my choices may be, just any thought at all may help me right now.

This is miserably bad advice, and if it's representative of the sorts of things your recruiter is telling you, you should 1)distrust every single thing he tells you and 2)consider switching recruiters, and possibly reporting him. For one, having a pregnant wife has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you'll be selected for the nuclear field. For another, if you fail to claim your child, you'll be paying the tens of thousands of dollars of hospital bills out of pocket (good luck), whereas if you just tell the truth all expenses will be covered and you'll be afforded separate housing for you and your family (instead of sharing barracks with other dudes). And lastly, it's fraud, which is grounds for termination of your contract, and possibly criminal charges. And it's fraud that only works to your detriment, so it doesn't even make sense.

Second, I hear that the nuke work is simply scrubbing stuff like oil buckets. Is it? I feel that the schooling is a waste of time if that's all. I work at McD's and I'm not against getting a much higher pay for about the same thing to me. It's just I wanted to get a job in the navy that will allow me a good civilian job after my six years (if i don't reenlist). I had a 4.0 GPA in high school, and overwhelmed myself my first year and dropped my GPA to a 3.2.. I know our economy is rough, so I didn't want to be in debt and not find a job. I have a full 32 credit hours worth of college behind me now, and from what I understand the "pipeline" schooling is about 70 credit hours of college right? So if you were in my shoes, with a child on the way, a wife to take care of too, possibly only 32 credits away from a bachelors after my pipeline schooling, wouldn't you do this? No debt (since the GI bill supplies me with 84,000 right?), a decent pay, since I'd start as a nuke, insurance is practically free... or so I heard (is that true too? what type of coverage would I get and for my family?)

Every job in the Navy requires hours upon hours of cleaning. Aside from standing watch (where, as a nuke, you'll also be cleaning), cleaning is the overwhelming majority of what encompasses your time. I'd say the breakdown is probably something along the lines of (33%)watch, (33%)cleaning, (20%)maintenance, and (13%)miscellaneous, which includes time to sleep.

As for the credits, it's not quite black and white. Your pipeline education will be accepted by SOME colleges for anywhere from 30 to 90 credits, but generally this will only apply towards a nuclear technology degree. So if you were planning on doing 6 and out and then polishing off your journalism degree in one year, forget it. If you do anything besides a handful of degree paths, you're basically starting from scratch.

Not sure where you got the 84,000 figure from. The way the GI bill works is this: you put in $100 every month for 12 months, totaling $1200. If you serve (I THINK) at least three years of your contract, you'll be eligible for 100% of your benefits; any less and you're getting a percentage. Now, the key is to get out with an HONORABLE discharge, which you can pretty much only get if you serve your entire contract or are separated for medical reasons. If you get ANY OTHER DISCHARGE, and this includes ANY kind of general discharge, you get absolutely NO GI benefits. If you are eligible for GI benefits, it'll cover 100% of the tuition for the most expensive public university in your home state for 36 months. If you choose to go to a more expensive private university or an out of state school, there are other options to help (IE scholarships and the Yellow Ribbon program). If you're a full time student, you also get E-5 with dependent housing allowance, which will range anywhere from ~$1000K/mo to ~$2500/mo, depending on where you go to school. The key is you have to be a full time student year round, which means you'll be hitting summer school, as well.

Insurance in the Navy is legit, especially if you're a family man. Health and dental are on the house; life insurance is $400K for $28/mo.

Third, which career choice MM, ET, or EM would be the best for pursuing a nuclear plant job later, and what type of degree should I acquire if I want a job in a nuclear plant?

If you're planning on going for a nuke operating job as a civilian, ET is probably the best route to go. MMs generally get more offers for non nuke plants and maintenance gigs, and they also have a lot of qualifications open to them in the Navy (welding, ELT, a much easier time getting quality assurance quals). EMs have Load Dispatcher, which is a pretty sweet gig once you get out. There really isn't a "wrong" choice. But keep in mind: you don't pick your rate. You ask for one, and it's pretty common not to get what you ask for. My advice is not to be too concerned if you don't get the exact rate you wanted; chances are you'll grow attached to whatever they end up giving you.

Last, I love to lead. I really do. I was drum captain for 4 years in high school, I taught, drilled, and played in band the whole time, whether marching, music or even discipline. I would be a manager after only 6 months of work at McD's but they know I'm leaving soon, so the promotion won't happen. So OCS interests me. I'm too old and married to go to the Naval Academy, and I have to many credit hours to do the scholarship for NROTC. I am aware of STA-21 (I think that's the right abrev.), and I would be happy to take it if possible. I don't really care if I am an officer in the nuclear field or if they would want me to be a lawyer, I'm pretty content with everything and I really don't mind doing any type of work. Would they have to pick me for some type of officer training? Is it possible that I could do it myself by just signing up once in? I just don't know.

If you have a chance to go in as an officer, DO IT. Seriously. The pay is way better (it's not even a competition). The qualifications are leaps and bounds more useful on the civilian side. You'll have a 4 year degree, which will increase your marketability a thousandfold. And you'll get all of the "khaki only" perks right out of the gate. From a utilitarian perspective, it's better in every imaginable way. If you go in blue (which you should only do because you've already tried officer and failed), try your ass off to get picked up for an officer program, especially STA-21. That's a great program. Your best chance is to get picked up in the pipeline, so don't wait.

Don't get caught up in any sort of "I'm a working man" bullshit. You'll have plenty of chances to get down and dirty with the blue shirts, and especially in the nuclear field (uniquely, in fact) you'll be in very close working relationships with the people below you. Do not think it's a cop out to shoot for officer; it is the smart thing to do on every level.

I just finished my six and out career as a nuke MM, to give you some perspective on my knowledge. Whatever you end up doing, give it 100% no matter what. There is so much you can use in the Navy later that you might not even realize at the time, especially in the way of quals.

Oh, and finish your degree while you're in. It's probably one of the most important parts of your resume.

Good luck.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:03 »
Definitely pay attention to what TLM is telling you up above...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:19 »
 Except the ET  for ops part...,  or the break down of post navy jobs per rating altogether.

Justin
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 09:21 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:00 »
Title Loan Man has NO idea what he is talking about as to which ratings get the most job offers for Civilian plants. Last I checked those plants that have a high amount of MMs in their Ops and Maintenance departments.

BTW as a side light. I just found out today my brother is a manager at a place that makes steel fittings. He works with a lot of ex Navy Nukes. He says MMs are worth their weight in gold but navy electricians and ETs are the most worthless maintenance people he has ever worked with.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:33 »
Title Loan Man has NO idea what he is talking about as to which ratings get the most job offers for Civilian plants. Last I checked those plants that have a high amount of MMs in their Ops and Maintenance departments.

BTW as a side light. I just found out today my brother is a manager at a place that makes steel fittings. He works with a lot of ex Navy Nukes. He says MMs are worth their weight in gold but navy electricians and ETs are the most worthless maintenance people he has ever worked with.

I have to concur with BZ on this, contact with some of my old shipmates (70s) MMs seem to have entered OPs in much larger numbers. Of the small service companies that I know with exNavy nukes they have a disproportionate number of MMs as company officers (most of them ELTs). Even in the Navy MMs had a much higher qualification rate for EWS than ETs and EMs when I was in, can't speak for todays Navy but I suspect it is still easier for a MM to qualify as he/she has already operated most of the plant and probably came up through Engine Room Supervisor.

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:40 »

Well as an ET I find that depressing, however I know plenty of ETs and EMs who definitely fit into that second category.  Sadly I can't do anything except make sure I'm an exception to it.

Also, TLM gave you bad information about the GI Bill.  First off, you shouldn't even consider how many years you have to serve to get it.  Your initial contract is six years and if you don't plan on fulfilling it, don't sign up.  With the post 9/11 GI Bill (which I'm 90% certain is the only one you will be eligible for) you are NOT required to pay 100 dollars a month for 12 months.  It will pay the cost of a bachelor's degree at the highest costing public college in the state.  You can choose a private college, but the GI Bill will not cover all of it if it is more expensive.  However, there are other programs (like the Yellow Ribbon program) that allow veterans to attend top tier schools for free (or close to it).  You will also get E-5 BAH with dependents while attending school.

I think that TLM is a Surface nuke, because his description is not what I have experienced.  For Submarines (while underway), we work 18 hour days.  6 hours of watch, 6 hours offgoing where you tend to do maintenance and work on qualifications, and 6 hours oncoming where you typically sleep or work on qualifications.  Sometimes schedule makes you sleep during your offgoing time and work during your oncoming time, sometimes you don't get to sleep.  After watch you will eat and should expect 30min-1hr of after watch clean up.  Once a week (more if an inspection is coming up) you will have a field day (period of time where you try and deep clean everything) for 2.5-3hrs.  In port you will be split into duty sections and have to sleep on the boat and stand watch every X number of days, typically X=3 or 4 at best.  There will be a daily clean up ship for an hour and a field day typically once a week.

So based on that, I would say that while underway your time is mostly spent standing watch, then doing maintenance, then misc. and cleaning (although it does feel like we clean way more) depending on the operations going on.  In port, it is mostly maintenance, then watch, then misc. and cleaning.  I still think cleaning is too large of a focus in the Navy, but it is far from the most time consuming thing you will do.

If you have any questions about the Submarine force just send me a pm and I'll give you some more information.

Offline Title Loan Man

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:50 »
The part where I broke down the ratings was poorly worded (I did write it at 4 in the morning). I didn't mean that MMs don't get jobs in nuke plants.

As for the GI Bill, the VA website doesn't make any mention of a discontinuation of MGIB (http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/montgomery_gibill/index.html), so that would lead me to believe that the $1200 is still deducted. Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I NEVER even insinuated that he should shoot for anything less than his full contract. I don't know if you've heard the phrase "shit happens", but I bet if he blows out his knee and gets discharged after two years (like what happened to my best friend) he'll want to know what he's looking at.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 12:56 by Title Loan Man »

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2013, 01:53 »
The part where I broke down the ratings was poorly worded (I did write it at 4 in the morning). I didn't mean that MMs don't get jobs in nuke plants.

As for the GI Bill, the VA website doesn't make any mention of a discontinuation of MGIB (http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/montgomery_gibill/index.html), so that would lead me to believe that the $1200 is still deducted. Also, please don't put words in my mouth. I NEVER even insinuated that he should shoot for anything less than his full contract. I don't know if you've heard the phrase "shit happens", but I bet if he blows out his knee and gets discharged after two years (like what happened to my best friend) he'll want to know what he's looking at.

Calm down there Tex, I never said you insinuated that.  I was just making a comment based off of people I've seen try and do the minimum to get the GI Bill and then tap out.  With regards to the Montgomery GI Bill, I suppose our training was incorrect (which doesn't really surprise me).  From reading the VA website it does appear that it is still an option for individuals to pay into the Montgomery GI Bill, however they can still get the post-9/111 GI Bill without paying into it.   

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2013, 02:19 »

Not a problem we have an open board, but you do sometimes need a thick skin here at "Curmudgeons R Us". Posters here are anything from a "should I enlist/commission" to Managers to senior Navy officers and some parents curious about their kids future.

Advice and courteous debates are welcome.  [GH]  Keep it coming.

Offline MacDaddy

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:17 »
Thank you, everyone. I will most likely consult another recruiter, and I'll be full steam ahead to the navy.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:02 »
.........., and I'll be full steam ahead to the navy.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:31 »

Also, TLM gave you bad information about the GI Bill.  First off, you shouldn't even consider how many years you have to serve to get it.  Your initial contract is six years and if you don't plan on fulfilling it, don't sign up.  With the post 9/11 GI Bill (which I'm 90% certain is the only one you will be eligible for) you are NOT required to pay 100 dollars a month for 12 months.  It will pay the cost of a bachelor's degree at the highest costing public college in the state.  You can choose a private college, but the GI Bill will not cover all of it if it is more expensive.  However, there are other programs (like the Yellow Ribbon program) that allow veterans to attend top tier schools for free (or close to it).  You will also get E-5 BAH with dependents while attending school.

This is true, but incorrect at the same time.  Montgomery GI Bill is still an option, but is directed to technical degrees.  So if you're wanting to go to ITT, a technical institution, the MGI Bill is just for you!  Yes you have to pay 100 a month for a total of 12 months, but it really is a minor cost.  If you don't use this, and take the GI Bill instead (later down the road), apparently the 1200 will be returned to you. On the other hand, the 9/11 GI Bill is solely for a BA's degree, in which I think it also might have a clause for the MA's degree.  Above is very accurate information on the GI Bill, so you can reference that if need be.  Also consider the state of which you've enlisted in.  When I enlisted, I was covered under the Texas Hazelwood Act, which also paid for some of my education.  If you can, research the Texas Hazelwood Act, and see if your state offers the same type of benefit!

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2013, 05:33 by NuclearWaste »

Offline SpaceJustice

• Moderate User
  • SRO ILT
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2013, 04:20 »
This is true, but incorrect at the same time.  Montgomery GI Bill is still an option, but is directed to technical degrees.  So if you're wanting to go to ITT, a technical institution, the MGI Bill is just for you!  Yes you have to pay 100 a month for a total of 12 months, but it really is a minor cost.  If you don't use this, and take the GI Bill instead (later down the road), apparently the 1200 will be returned to you. On the other hand, the 9/11 GI Bill is solely for a BA's degree, in which I think it also might have a clause for the MA's degree.  Above is very accurate information on the GI Bill, so you can reference that if need be.  Also consider the state of which you've enlisted in.  When I enlisted, I was covered under the Texas Hazelwood Act, which also paid for some of my education.  If you can, research the Texas Hazelwood Act, and see if your state offers the same type of benefit!

Hope this helps!

Fixed.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2013, 08:26 »

HeavyD

« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2013, 12:53 »
This is true, but incorrect at the same time.  Montgomery GI Bill is still an option, but is directed to technical degrees.  So if you're wanting to go to ITT, a technical institution, the MGI Bill is just for you!  Yes you have to pay 100 a month for a total of 12 months, but it really is a minor cost.  If you don't use this, and take the GI Bill instead (later down the road), apparently the 1200 will be returned to you. On the other hand, the 9/11 GI Bill is solely for a BA's degree, in which I think it also might have a clause for the MA's degree.  Above is very accurate information on the GI Bill, so you can reference that if need be.  Also consider the state of which you've enlisted in.  When I enlisted, I was covered under the Texas Hazelwood Act, which also paid for some of my education.  If you can, research the Texas Hazelwood Act, and see if your state offers the same type of benefit!

Hope this helps!

This is like the fourth post I have read that is absolutely full of incorrect information from NuclearWaste.

PLEASE, stop posting without doing some basic and rudimentary searching first. 

Information on the Montgomery GI Bill.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/montgomery_gibill/active_duty.html

Here is an interesting quote from this link  “The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.”

In no way does this say that it is for technical degrees only.

Post 9/11 GI Bill.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/benefits/post_911_gibill/index.html

Quoting “Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.”.

Again, not restricted to a BA degree, as you have posted.

Speaking honestly, these continuing posts full of misinformation are not a good starting point for a member of the US Naval Academy.  As a commissioned officer, your sailors will look to you for answers, and if you remain on this path, you will lead them astray, quickly.

Get your act together, now.

Offline VCSInstNuke

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:32 »
Not sure if the OP is still around, but if you are and have specific questions about the transition from enlisted to Officer once you are in, feel free to PM me. I got out after 12 years last year and was enlisted for 7 of those, an officer for the last 5. I commissioned through STA-21, but I am familiar with other paths if you have questions.

T.J.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2013, 04:32 »
Dunno if OP is still around, but if any wannabe's are curious:

1) The recruiter was full of s@#t. You should definitely tell the Navy that you are married and expecting. Otherwise, you don't get paid for their moves, healthcare, etc.

2) You will not get 70 credits from enlisted nuke school at a university you actually want to attend to gain credibility in civilian employment. College credits from the Navy are like AP credits: you think you're doing something good, but it confuses the retards in most companies' HR departments and graduate admissions, so you end up spending an inordinate amount of time convincing them that you have, in fact, taken college [course]. The only way to avert this is to take the next course in the sequence so you can point to the class to the HR retard and say "see, how do you think they let me take this?" But your advisor who majored in communications didn't tell you that and at 18 you thought you were on easy street, so you didn't take calculus 3 and american history 469, did you?

3) You will not be in a leadership position as a nuke until the end of your first tour IF you demonstrate sustained superior performance and qualify EWS. By then you most likely will be indoctrinated and won't want to be a leader because you'll think it stabs your buddies in the back. The cone will look at you as a poor excuse for an E-6 for most of your tour. You will look at the cone as a window-sucking waste of space that you can't believe the Navy accepts, and you will add him to the list of reasons you are counting the nanoseconds to get out of the Navy. Among things in this list are ways you can overhaul the Navy (there's a thread for that on here). But you'll most likely be a pussy and submit the list when you check out, because god forbid you actually try to effect change when it will stop you from whining about how miserable you are; most of your ideas will be retarded and miss the big picture, so everyone will laugh at it.

4) I had a nuke MM with a master's degree say to me "I hate my f@#$%^g job. 2 years of schooling and all I do is clean." I really didn't know how to respond to that. He is now qual'ed EWS and does more than that, but you can expect your first couple years on the boat to be 90% janitorial duties. Except they will be janatorial duties without the tools a civilian janitor will get -- no brooms or mops on the submarine. You just scrub the same place for 2 hours (8 if an Admiral is visiting) with a dirty water bucket and hope that a Chief doesn't yell at you. That's why BZ answers all his posts that ask "what does the Navy qualify me in a civvy plant" with "a janitor," and not a very good one.

5) I have no idea about what post-Navy opportunities await you. However, I will tell you that when you enlist in the Navy, you are on the Seaman-to-Master Chief career path. The Navy does not exist to provide you vocational training for another career, despite what your recruiter might tell you; transitioning can be difficult and it will most likely not lead to auto 100k/yr, even as a nuke.

Edited for language
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 12:49 by Marlin »

Offline A Random ETN1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2013, 09:39 »
The navy does not aid in helping you set up for your career outside the navy that well. You will not have time to take college classes in a classroom environment if you join the navy (unless you are lucky enough to get FIDE or a maintenance facility billet which doesn't happen for a first command), I got accepted for tuition assistance recently (before the TA changes) and am taking online classes via Old dominon University. However it is taking most of my free time outside of work.

The best suggestion I have for you for trying to prepare yourself for secondary career outside the navy while in the navy is:
1. Qualify early at your first sea command. (your life will suck if you go dinq and people won't treat you like a human being if you go dinq)
2. Utilize Tuition assistance while you can (you can only use it as active duty)
3. Try to go to any/all the schools you can (PPLAN,WIFCOM, fiber optic, welding, etc)
4. Become a workcenter supervisor or LPO (resume fodder for supervisory position)
5. Qualify EWS (resume fodder also)
6. (i really don't think any of the QA stuff actually counts) but qualify up to QAS (this includes craftsman, cmpo, sci, rci, qai, planner, QAS)
7. Save + earn money (change state of residency if your state taxes you like crazy and you have the option to change state of residency for one that taxes you less.) Also once you are eligible for senior supervisory pay get that done for extra money. Put some of it away in ROTH TSP.

Most of the people I know who are using TA for a degree are only going for the "check in the box" and getting the accredited excelsior nuclear technology degree since they accept an okay amount of credit transferability from nuke program.

I don't really want to deal with this stuff when I get out so when i did my research for how many credits most good state colleges will accept I found out they only accept like 6 max.(currently working on Electrical engineering degree) it is going to take awhile to earn it, but its less I have to pay for if i use tuition assistance for my BS and save my post 9/11 for my masters when I get out.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2013, 01:29 »
I'd like to address the cleaning aspect of Naval Nuclear Power. And this is from a Carrier perspective, not Submarine.

I've been retired for about 8 years, so my information is dated, but I believe conditions haven't changed that much, though I still don't understand why people on ships are dressed like trees.  But... Since the following held true for all 21 of my years in...

There are two types of folks onboard in the nuclear world: Those that are qualified, and those that are not.  By qualified, in the enlisted world, I mean (from an ET point of view) qualified Log Recorder Phone Talker, Throttles, Control Equipment (or Instrument Watch), and Reactor Operator/Shutdown Reactor Operator.  It's qualifying reactor operator that matters.  Once you have that qual, you can do maintenance on the instrumentation and control equipment that belongs to RC division.  Since the qualified guys do all the maintenance, the unqualified guys do the cleaning... With exceptions! 

Rank doesn't matter, to a certain degree.  If you've been to a command before, qualified senior in rate, and you're new onboard, then you're a more equal pig than the other non-quals.  But when I first reported to Carl Vinson, in 1986, I was an ET2.  There I was, at 0400 AM scraping wax up with a razor blade out of the corners of the passageway in front of the RC division office, so the XO would be happy when he walked by it around 0530, and some other non-nukes walked by and said "*&^, PO2, what did you do?"  They couldn't believe an ET2 (E-5) would be stripping and waxing a floor... But I accepted it as part of being a nub. 

People who have a difficult time qualifying can be sent to the berthing coop..  Which is a group of folks who clean berthing and the heads..  But everyone has to keep their own areas up..  And there are times where the Reactor Officer walks through berthing and decides it's a pit, and everyone who's not on watch will be back there stumbling all over each other trying to clean the place up. 

Finally, there's special inspections..  From which we have the "Work it may, shine it must" saying.  Working up to those inspections, again, everyone not on watch will be cleaning in the plant.  And, since Reactor Dept is one big happy family, the ET's areas can be spotless..  but if the bilge isn't looking good, then head on down there and help those mechanics out.  And God help you is you're coming out of the yards..  The cleaning never stops then. 

So, get qualified!  Always better to stand watch and do maintenance then to clean invisible dirt.

Offline song of the south

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:10 »
Umm... What is a Log recorder phone talker?
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
Albert Einstein

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:28 »

What ever it is, it sounds like it would be a perfect job for my 13-year-old granddaughter...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:31 »

Take the incoming calls on the sound powered phones, write down events and data of interest, stay quiet otherwise.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:32 »

well, if the log recorder is an ET, something like this:

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?