Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Living in Jersey/Deleware honeypot

Author Topic: Living in Jersey/Deleware  (Read 4517 times)

Offline nukewife13

• Lurker
Living in Jersey/Deleware
« on: Mar 16, 2013, 04:10 »
My husband is getting out of the Navy in the next 6 months and has a list of Commercial Nuclear Power Plants that he is interested in (hopefully they are interested in him  ;D. He is too far out to submit resumes but I am trying to narrow down some of the areas.  I am pretty comfortable with all the research I have done on most of the plants, but one.  There is one in New Jersey and I am trying to find out where people live there, and where do their kids go to school?  In all of my research it looks like the Gloucester, Salem, Camden, and Cumberland area is pretty scary.  I am a Southern Chick so a little intimidating.  Not sure if a lot of people live in Delaware and commute.  Any advice?  I want to be a supportive wife during his transition period so do not want to say no to any area without giving it a chance; and hearing from people in the field who may know the area.  Thanks in advance for any input. 

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Living in Jersey/Deleware
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:11 »
If I remember from when I was there (20 yrs ago) a lot of the people at Salem / Hope Creek live in Delaware and commute. Not a big problem during normal operations, but that commute can get long during outages.

I commute an hour each way to my plant (not Salem / Hope Creek), but it puts my family in the community that is good for them. Small price to pay.

Good luck, and thank your husband for his service, and thank you and your family for their sacrifice.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline nukewife13

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:17 »
Thanks!  I finally found a couple of other posts on the site that helped as well :).

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:26 »
I have extended family that work at Hope Creek.  They live in Pennsville and also in LAC (Lower Alloway Creek).  LAC is not bad.

My family (mother/stepfather) lived in Newark, Delaware when they worked there for Bechtel in the early 80's when I was a teenager.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?