Career Path > Radiation Safety

15 Skills Power Plants Look for on Contract RP Tech Resumes

(1/3) > >>

Rennhack:
15 Skills Power Plants Look for on Contract RP Tech Resumes

This only applies to CONTRACT RP TECH resume's at POWER PLANTS.  Not house mouse, not DOE, not Professionals.

When RP departments look at the past job history on a contractor technician's resume prior to an outage, they are looking for the following 15 skills, (from NEI 03-04 Rev 8), so that they can give you quals based on your prior work history.  If these skills are not specifically listed on your resume, you will not be granted the qual for that skill.  Of course, don’t put anything on your resume that you haven’t done, but don’t forget to take credit for what you have done.

1.   Operation of Survey Instruments, and Count Rate Meters (List instruments such as: Ion Chambers, Geiger-Mueller, Extendable Probe instruments, Friskers)
2.   Performance of Radiation and Contamination Surveys
3.   Performance of Airborne Radioactivity Surveys
4.   Radioactive Material Movement and Storage on Owner-Controlled Property
5.   Radiological Posting/De-posting
6.   Responded to Radiological Alarms
7.   Operated Continuous Air Monitors
8.   Provided Radiological Job Coverage
9.   Provided High Risk Job Coverage (e.g. >1R/hr, >500k dpm/100cm2, >5 DAC)
10.   Directed/Performed Area and Equipment Decontamination
11.   Surveyed Material for Unconditional Release
12.   Performed Personnel Decontamination
13.   Monitored and Coached Workers in the RCA Including Their Ingress and Egress
14.   Operated HEPA Vacuum and/or Ventilation Equipment
15.   Performed Remote Radiological Monitoring

List each job/outage/location separately, with exact start/end dates and specific, precise duties.

An example of how it might look on your resume:

Start Date (MM/DD/YYYY) – End Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
Plant Name, Plant Location (Contact Company)
Senior Radiological Protection Technician
Operated survey instruments, count rate meters, Continuous Air Monitors, as well as HEPA equipment (RO20, RSO50, L144/44-9).  Performed radiation and contamination surveys in reactor containment building, unconditional release surveys, airborne radioactivity surveys, radiological posting/de-posting, radiological job coverage to include high risk job coverage of steam generator work (>10R/hr., >500 mRAD smearable), remote radiological monitoring, area and equipment decontamination, as well as personnel decontamination. Supported radioactive material movement,   responded to radiological alarms and monitored and coached workers in the RCA including their Ingress and Egress.

PWHoppe:
Thanks Mike.

Too often I look at resumes that do not include pertinant data and the unfortunate result is that the RPT may not get to come to the outage. If folks would put down what they did it would make things a whole lot easier. Good job and VERY good advice for those new to the industry. ;)

fidus:
Thank you for the insight. Please do you consider recent college graduates (Health Physics major) with zero HP experience? I am a recent graduate who is looking forward to work as RPT and work myself up via hard work since it seems there are no entry level position jobs for HP grads without experience.

Chimera:

--- Quote from: fidus on Nov 15, 2013, 04:02 ---Thank you for the insight. Please do you consider recent college graduates (Health Physics major) with zero HP experience? I am a recent graduate who is looking forward to work as RPT and work myself up via hard work since it seems there are no entry level position jobs for HP grads without experience.

--- End quote ---

You don't have "zero" experience . . . unless the courses you took are radically different from those I've seen.  You've used equipment, done surveys and monitored people and equipment even if only for classroom credit.  Write it up the way Mike shows in the opening post for this thread.  That way you won't look like all you did was sit on your butt in a classroom and pass a few exams.

fidus:
Thanks for the kind advice. I hope it is not too late to update my resume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version