Career Path > Radiation Safety

15 Skills Power Plants Look for on Contract RP Tech Resumes

<< < (2/3) > >>

indoprime:
What if the majority of your experience was with one contract company? Would you still list each outage you did with them, or would you combine those outages under one company? 

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: indoprime on Dec 03, 2013, 02:04 ---What if the majority of your experience was with one contract company? Would you still list each outage you did with them, or would you combine those outages under one company? 

--- End quote ---

If the resume is for outages... As the topic of this post states... The list each one seperate. They are different jobs with different start and stop dates.

Eric_Bartlett:

--- Quote from: indoprime on Dec 03, 2013, 02:04 ---What if the majority of your experience was with one contract company? Would you still list each outage you did with them, or would you combine those outages under one company? 

--- End quote ---

I've been meaning to weigh in for a while, just haven't had the time.  Since resumes are and have been my life for the past 24 years I figured I'd step in now.

As far as a standard meter swinging RP resume goes you always want to list each job separately, with exact dates and precise duties.

If you just list the original start date and final end date i.e.

1/2/06 –      Various Power Plants (ABC Company)
12/31/12  RP Technician
                Provided RP coverage for several refuel and maintenance outages at Vermont Yankee, Millstone,             
                Seabrook, Indian Points 2 & 3, and Fitzpatrick.

You will end up not getting any credit for your overall work until such a time that you break it all down.

Likewise, when listing out dates, try to put the exact date you started and ended jobs, if you put down just the year you may get credit for 1 day, if that i.e.

2006 –       Millstone Point Nuclear Power Station (ABC Company)
      RP Technician

If you put down the month and year  the time will be counted as if you started on the last day of month you started and ended the first day of the last month there thus possibly short changing yourself up to 2 months of experience for example the below job would only give you 1 months credit when in reality you could have up to 3 months credit.

2/2006 –    Millstone Point Nuclear Power Station (ABC Company)
4/2006      RP Technician

Remember when someone is reviewing your resume for a position, be it a vendor company or a utility supervisor, they have to be conservative with what they can allocate you because if they get too liberal their in-house QA dept, the NRC, and others will come down on them so hard they will have wished they never heard of nuclear power. 

So if you don't spell it out you will short change yourself.   I see it all the time with duties.  I get 8-10 yr SHP that send in updates such as “Rx” or “S/G” or “Refuel” – just one word – now they know what the one word stands for and most vendors and utility personnel know what comes with that one word, but unless its spelled out they cannot assume and I've seen it cost very qualified individuals highly sought after positions. 

The big thing on a resume is don't get lazy or complacent, spell it out in detail.  I'm not saying every time an HP goes to a job he/she has to put “performed routine radiation/contamination surveys”.  What I am saying is make sure that you convey what type of area or project you were assigned to, did you do any coverage, did you do anything out of the ordinary, list exact dates, don't short sell yourself. 

Unlike the non nuclear world where the shorter the better for a resume, the nuke industry needs details, so don't worry if your resume goes 4, 5 or more pages you can always trim the repetitive stuff later in your career.

Eric

indoprime:
Thank you Mike and Eric for the input.  I guess in the Nuke industry normal resume rules don't apply. Less isn't best. 

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: indoprime on Dec 04, 2013, 05:09 ---Thank you Mike and Eric for the input.  I guess in the Nuke industry normal resume rules don't apply. Less isn't best. 

--- End quote ---

These rules apply for Contract RP Technician jobs at commercial power plants.  There are special rules for them.

These rules do not necessarily apply to professional positions, long term positions (but probably do), or DOE positions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version