Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu If you had to give one piece of advice...

Author Topic: If you had to give one piece of advice...  (Read 7701 times)

Offline misteree

• Light User
If you had to give one piece of advice...
« on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:30 »
to someone just starting in the nuclear industry, or trying to get into the industry, what would it be?

MacGyver

Re: If you had to give one piece of advice...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2013, 05:43 »
to someone just starting in the nuclear industry, or trying to get into the industry, what would it be?

Start here Misteree

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=27448.0

I know I recall a couple more threads in general and some more paticular (i.e. female).  But I have ran out of time today.

Mac

rlbinc

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2013, 03:43 »

Never fry bacon naked.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:45 »
to someone .... trying to get into the industry, what would it be?

Get your foot in the door.

By that, I mean take almost any job offered...the first one is the hard one to get.  Once you are 'in', it's easy to move up the ladder and get other jobs.  So, even if the offer isn't for as much money as you'd hoped...or is for a position you feel over-qualified for...take the job and you will be on the path to bigger and better things.

Good luck.  :)

Note:  This advice is valid for today, in the current job market.  If we ever get back to an employment climate that is more favorable to the worker, I reserve the right to change it!  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:39 »
Don't eat the yellow snow.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:55 »

By that, I mean take almost any job offered...the first one is the hard one to get.  Once you are 'in', it's easy to move up the ladder and get other jobs.  So, even if the offer isn't for as much money as you'd hoped...or is for a position you feel over-qualified for...take the job and you will be on the path to bigger and better things.

Note:  This advice is valid for today, in the current job market.  If we ever get back to an employment climate that is more favorable to the worker, I reserve the right to change it!  ;)

What he said  [clap]

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2013, 08:01 »
And you mean any job with the company, not just at the plant you want to work at, correct?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2013, 09:05 »
And you mean any job with the company, not just at the plant you want to work at, correct?

I did mean that, but realize there may be considerations (family, etc) that will change the 'right' decision for certain people.

...and that's the inherent weakness to being limited to 'one piece of advice' - no matter how one-size-fits-all you make it, ....   :(

Note on one-size-fits-all...if you are my size, it usually doesn't.  ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2013, 09:11 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2013, 09:40 »
I'm new to the industry so trying to figure it all out. At some companies, from what I understand, moving up or into another position is based purely on seniority. The only exception is I&C. This is a question more than a statement.

Offline Smilin' Joe Fission

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2013, 01:28 »

Thanks for the advice. Between cheap natural gas, Fukushima, and a down economy it seems like it is necessary to take whatever you can get to get the first foot in the door.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2013, 09:26 »
I'm new to the industry so trying to figure it all out. At some companies, from what I understand, moving up or into another position is based purely on seniority. The only exception is I&C. This is a question more than a statement.

We may be talking apple vs. oranges.  My 'one-piece-of-advice' is aimed at getting 'in' - getting 'up' is a different equation.  My point is that you don't even get to play until you have your foot in the door.

Seniority plays a role in decisions to promote at most plants.  And at union plants, progression up the union side of the ladder is solely by getting your time in.  (You can always apply for the management jobs if you want to get away from the predictability of the union.)

My advice holds for union plants even more than non-union.  Get your foot in the door.  Get on the ladder, no matter how low a rung.  Once you are in, things will work out.  It's just getting that first job that can seem like an insurmountable obstacle to someone looking in from the outside...and it may be insurmountable if they wait for the 'perfect position'.

And, as someone pointed out...YMMV.  ;)

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013, 05:40 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline misteree

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2013, 03:55 »
Okay, my question... what's you're one piece of advice for "getting your foot in the door?"

surf50

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:27 »
Start applying online to the utilities, or go to the local utility corporate offices.Tell them you want the entry level jobs, if that's what you're after.
Apply to any contractors that work onsite, e.g., the site office cleaners, the cafeteria people, the construction guys, the security guys.
Apply to the RP contract companies, as decon support.

I've seen plenty of people get in, and with intelligence, hard work, and figuring out and talking to the right people get onto the track they want.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?