Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bettis labs, Charleston, SC honeypot

Author Topic: Bettis labs, Charleston, SC  (Read 5421 times)

Offline balucero1905

• Very Lite User
Bettis labs, Charleston, SC
« on: Apr 16, 2013, 10:58 »
Hi, I was contacted about a position as a rad con tech at bettis labs in Charleston, SC and was wondering if anybody could give me some information about the company and the training that will be required. The posting said that I would have to attend RCTQS in Norfolk, VA, but I have no clue what the training is like and can't find any information about it on the forums here. I really would just like to know how long it last, and just what is actually covered in the training. Also, anything about the employer and the type of work there would be great also. I have only worked at DOE sites and I'm just a little nervous about having to work around reactors, if i actually for a position.Thanks you for your time and hope that you all can help me.

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
Re: Bettis labs, Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2013, 04:00 »
Check your message Inbox

cedugger

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2013, 11:00 »
Balucero,

I should preface this by saying that it's been 9 years since I worked at NPTU Charleston, so I could be feeding you nothing but outdated, bum dope info (I hope it's not the case).

Civilian radcon techs had little to do with radcon around the reactors or propulsion plants as the Navy took care of this aspect. What civilian RCT's handled most were dosimetry processing, intrument calibration (scheduling & logistics, not the actual calibration), rad waste transfers, processing and purification of waste water (regeneration and reuse), and emergency response. I'm sure there were other tasks that I was unaware of as Navy radcon instructor, but I know that while I was there, they had little to do with actual radcon on the operating plants.

You'll need to adjust to different units of measurement and limits vary from what you'll be used to from DOE, but radcon is radcon. Nothing to be nervous about.

Best of luck to you.

Offline balucero1905

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2013, 12:47 »
Thanks to both of you for your help.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?