Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just a few questions, if you'd be so kind

Author Topic: Just a few questions, if you'd be so kind  (Read 20388 times)

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
Just a few questions, if you'd be so kind
« on: Apr 22, 2013, 01:43 »
Hello, my name is Betty, and my boyfriend is looking to enlist within the next week or two, and be off to boot camp in October. I just have a few questions that I haven't seen answered (I might have missed them), and I'd love to hear from some Nukes. None of the recruiters at the local office are in the Nuclear field, so a lot of times, their answers have been somewhat vague.

1. Are there breaks during the Nuclear schools just as there are for regular colleges? (ie, spring break, winter break, summer break?)

2. Are there any leaves/breaks in between the schools themselves?

3. My boyfriend and I are looking to have me join him when I finish my Associates degree (in May of next year). Assuming my timing is correct, this would be right around or shortly before he finishes A school. Are there any procedures we'd have to take into mind for this? I understand that I can't live with him on base unless we are married (something we have discussed at great length, but are not sure about just yet), but is it possible for us to live together otherwise? What would you advise?

4. When he is living alone, what would be the best course of action? Should he look into a place off base, look into base housing, or is there a dorm-type set up while he's in school?

5. Is there rules about pets? (He has a big dog that he doesn't wanna take until I move in with him, because he doesn't want him to be alone.

Thank you so much, and I'd like to add that I love this website already. I found it a few nights ago, and it already has given me a sigh of relief for how much info I can access without having to have him contact a recruiter that can't promise an answer to our question anyway.

HeavyD

Re: Just a few questions, if you'd be so kind
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2013, 07:20 »
1. No

2. Yes, length depends on when the next part of the pipeline starts for him.

3. If you aren't married, you will not be given the opportunity to live together until he gets to prototype, typically around the year + mark in his training.

4. Until prototype, he wont be given an option of where to live.  Unless married, with dependents located at this duty station, he will be occupying the provided barracks.

5.  Yes there are rules.  This is the military.  I'm going to let you figure out the answer based solely on that.

These questions can ALL be answered by his recruiter.  Quite honestly, he should already be asking the recruiter these questions.  Even if they aren't in the Nuke field, there is a Nuke at MEPS that they can call and get answeres from.  Best of luck to both of you.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:46 »
But that captain guy on Crimson Tide had a Jack Russell Terrier...what if I kept my small fluffy pug in a small dog crate in the torpedo room?

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2013, 09:53 »
Thank you, I appreciate the answers. I do understand that this is the military, and there are rules, thank you. I was just wondering the rules regarding his dog, that was all. :) Once more, Thank you.

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2013, 09:59 »
Young Miss,

I compliment you on trying to get a handle on your young man's adventure. My sincere suggestion to you would be for you to stay in school & complete your BA or BS degree while he completes his training.

Good luck!  8)
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2013, 10:05 by Samabby »

HeavyD

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:30 »
Young Miss,

I compliment you on trying to get a handle on your young man's adventure. My sincere suggestion to you would be for you to stay in school & complete your BA or BS degree while he completes his training.

Good luck! 

To add to this, please bear in mind that there always exists the possibility that he is not "the One" (no Matrix references  ;D).  Your education should not suffer nor be shorted because of a guy.  If things don't work out, you will still need to support yourself in life.  Even if things do work out, you will want your own identity outside of being a Nuke wife.

Again, best of luck and thanks for both of you for volunteering!

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:40 »
Thank you to you both. :) I definitely understand that our relationship isn't written in stone, we haven't been together long enough to assume that. I aspire to work with children, so I plan to get an associates in education, which will permit me to work in preschools and daycare centers. He's in no way tying me down in the form of my career, I thank you for your advice.

I appreciate the well wishes, it's nice to be able to get some advice from people who have gone through this experience (or one similar) already.

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2013, 12:41 »
Sorry for the double post, but another question came to mind.

If my sailor and I get married, and he's filling out his dreamsheet or whatever, will I be moved with him to wherever that is? Like, for instance: If on the off-chance, he is chosen to have his permanent station be in Europe, would I be moved to Europe as well? Or would I stay here?

Once more, thank you for the advice and input!

HeavyD

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2013, 01:11 »
If married, you will be moved to where he is during his first term.  Nukes get stationed on ships/boats during their first term, different than some other rates in the Navy.

Ships (i.e. carriers) his choices will be 1) Norfolk, VA 2) San Diego, CA 3) Everett, WA or 4) Yokosuka, Japan (the GEORGE WASHINGTON is stationed there).

Boats (subs) include the above (except Japan) plus 1) Kings Bay, GA 2) Groton, CT 3) Pearl Harbor, HI and lastly 4) Guam.

The important part is actually being married.  Engaged gets you moving yourself and that's about it.

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2013, 01:40 »
Wow, I thought there were more boats out than that  :o

After his first term, assuming he re-enlists, are there other places he can possibly be stationed?

Marriage is definitely something we're looking into while he's still in school. It is all dependent on the next year or so, but right now we have basically planned to get married when I get my degree (approx. when he's inbetween A school and Power School), and have the ceremony at a later date.

drayer54

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2013, 01:52 »

After his first term, assuming he re-enlists, are there other places he can possibly be stationed?

Marriage is definitely something we're looking into while he's still in school. It is all dependent on the next year or so, but right now we have basically planned to get married when I get my degree (approx. when he's inbetween A school and Power School), and have the ceremony at a later date.

Never heard it discussed like that before...  :-\

HeavyD

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2013, 02:53 »
Shore duty options are limited, as a Nuke.  By the way, get used to things being difficult or nonexistent as a Navy Nuke.  That "see the world" adventure crap doesn't apply, for the most part, to Nukes.

The detailer wants the best Nukes to go back and be instructors, whether it be at "A" School, Power School or prototype.  4 months to qualify as an instructor, 36 months after that.

Shore duty at one of the shore maintenance facilities in either Norfolk, Kings Bay, Groton, San Diego, or Pearl Harbor.  He can also try be a recruiter.  Those billets are considered to be "career killers" (except recruiter) and are challenging to get the Nuke detailer to release him to fill.

Samabby

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2013, 03:08 »
" I aspire to work with children, so I plan to get an associates in education, which will permit me to work in preschools and daycare centers. "

This will never pay enough to support yourself. Consider getting your BA or BS degree and be a certified teacher.

You might want to try www.submarinewivesclub.org. This site, for and by women, can offer you some real world ( not fairy tale ) advice.

Good luck, Miss.

Offline bnc1659

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2013, 03:38 »

I just recently got out of the submarine service after 6 years, I was in Guam. Know this, if you do get married, it will definitely be put to the test when he is assigned to a sea going command. On average we spent about 82% of our year out at sea with little to no ports in between (budget cuts and the like). He might not have much choice but the most family friendly boat would be a boomer as they have a schedule that they can plan for.

Those 6 years will be the hardest part of both his and your life if you are still together. Lots of sea time and even being in port is no cake walk. It is not uncommon to work 14 hour days on top of having to spend the night on the ship every 3rd night for duty. 

But if him and you can stomach 6 years at least it will be well worth it in the end. There will be plenty of high paying jobs looking specifically for navy nukes. I just got recently hired a few months ago and life is great.

bystander

« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:47 »
It would probably be wise to wait to get married. Wait a couple years, see what its like with him out at sea. The last thing you want to happen is to find out you can't handle it. If you're just dating a breakup isn't so bad.

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2013, 11:34 »

Never heard it discussed like that before...  :-\

I may not be wording this very well. We're looking to get married while he's in school. That may have sounded like we didn't intend to stay married, or maybe it sounds like we're getting married for benefit, but I assure you that if we take that step, its to stay and be together as a united front. :)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Just a few questions, if you'd be so kind
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2013, 01:05 »
Apologies in advance if I come off terse... no offense meant.

Bottom line: Your plan is not good.

If you get married while he is in school then you will not get a honeymoon. You can feesibly get married during one of his 4 days off in prototype, but it will have to be local to him as he will not be granted leave for to travel (happens once a month ish).

If you wait till the boat you have two choices: get married in a drydock period or xmas standdown (SSN) or off-crew (SSBN). Both will most likely require waiting 18 months at least so he can be fully qualified. He might be able to do it sooner IF he's a hot runner AND the command supports it. Two very big ifs.

With an associates you can look forward to minimum wage employment if you can even find a job. If you want to contribute meaningfully financially, you'll need a 4 year degree. If you are serious about marriage I would be very careful of any profession that is certified on a state level with no reciprocity like teaching.

His first 3 years in the Navy will be his toughest with moves, qualifying, etc. It is a bad time to get married and is particularly strenuous on relationships (not that the rest of sea duty isn't).

Your best play is to stay put and finish school until he's on sea duty to avoid all the moving around and distractions in a rigorous training pipeline, and even then possibly wait until he's qualified. Visit when you can.

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2013, 01:34 »

With an associates you can look forward to minimum wage employment if you can even find a job. If you want to contribute meaningfully financially, you'll need a 4 year degree.

Generally speaking this is bunk.  Regarding 'Teaching / Education' it may be true of NEA controlled Guberment run operations.  Outside of that,,, Bunk.

If you are serious about marriage I would be very careful of any profession that is certified on a state level with no reciprocity like teaching.

How does this have anything to do with marriage?  A job is a job.  Re-Training or Re-Certification is just that too.

Spekkio

Modified to add link (e.g. click on the photo if you are having trouble finding it)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 02:34 by MacGyver »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2013, 11:12 »
Yea listen to the guy who writes with 4 commas. Alternatively, you can look up earning statistics and realize that people with 4 years of college on average earn significantly more than those with a 2 year degree.

As far as my marriage comment: marriage to a Sailor requires moving. If you are state certified, that means studying and paying to retake exams. As a teacher (which often requires a masters btw), it also means you will move before or soon after getting tenure, significantly denting your earning potential and ability to get hired. I'm not saying its impossible to do, I am saying OP needs to go in with eyes wide open.

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:52 »
Yea listen to the guy who writes with 4 commas. Alternatively, you can look up earning statistics and realize that people with 4 years of college on average earn significantly more than those with a 2 year degree.

As far as my marriage comment: marriage to a Sailor requires moving. If you are state certified, that means studying and paying to retake exams. As a teacher (which often requires a masters btw), it also means you will move before or soon after getting tenure, significantly denting your earning potential and ability to get hired. I'm not saying its impossible to do, I am saying OP needs to go in with eyes wide open.

Obviously you can't count any better than you can read or write.  I only used three commas.

Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance at best and delusional at worst.  Your advice is bunk.

[train]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2013, 04:55 »

Obviously you can't count any better than you can read or write.  I only used three commas.

Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance at best and delusional at worst.  Your advice is bunk.

[train]

Not helpful  ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2013, 04:56 by Marlin »

Offline mynukeisaknight

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2013, 12:47 »
To Spekkio and MacGyver, I thank you both for your comments and input.
I have to agree with MacGyver and the fact that I'm currently employed at a daycare at higher than minumum wage (with no associates), and have no desire to go any further into teaching than the pre-k/pre-school level. I want to encourage young minds to feel encouraged. I understand that a bachelors is something I will eventually want to look into, and maybe even a masters, but it is not something actually needed of me.
As for Marriage, I understand it will be difficult to arrange, and a very hard time for both of us, but with him officially enlisting next week, Navy's been our topic of conversation for the past month or so. And mutually, we've agreed that as hard as it would be to be together, it would take more out of both of us to be apart. I appreciate the concern towards our relationship, but the initial question was more geared towards my curiosity of any protocol we might need to consider, such as informing the navy of that, how moving would work, etc.
Once more, I thank everyone for their input, and I appreciate the time you are taking to give me a bit of a head's up. :)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2013, 03:59 »
Young miss, I appreciate your heart in motivating young minds but it doesn't sound like you have thought everything through. The fact that you have a job now is germane to the discussion. If you move, you are going to be in a different state with different standards and levels of regulation. It would behoove you to find out the most restrictive standard and seek that level of education/certification prior to moving in with him. I don't know what that is, but my instinct tells me an associates would not provide you with the flexibility you need. I could be wrong but it sounds like you are assuming that the way things are in your hometown are the way things are everywhere.

Additionally, you will be applying for a new job requiring people to trust you with children with no local references and your plan is to have little or no formal education for being a pre-k/k teacher. His time spent moving around in the early pipeline is going to make it difficult for you to get employed because he will only be in Charleston for a maximum of a little over a year; this fact will also make it difficult for you to seek a degree, since there are no one-year programs. It can take as long as a year to even get invited to an interview depending on what the job market looks like in the place (and child-care is a very common military spouse profession, making it a competitive market for you in most places). Getting a more advanced degree also provides you with the flexibility to take employment elsewhere and earn money until a daycare position opens. If your relationship is strong enough to get married, it is strong enough for you both to pursue your respective educations until he gets assigned to his first sea tour.

Another thing to consider is that BAH as a married E-4/E-5 may or may not cover the rent of a 2 bedroom apartment; it depends on the duty station and where you are willing to concede to live. If you have children and want to rent a 2-3 BR house it most likely will not cover that cost. Many junior enlisted with children live in base housing, but I can't say that I have heard very good reviews about that arrangement from most Sailors, while the old salts will tell them they don't know how good they have it. If the plan is for him to do 6-and-out and wait on children, then that gives a lot more financial flexibility to you. But if he's thinking about the possibility of a career as a nuke, then finances are something you guys need to discuss.

As for the logistics of marrying your boyfriend post swearing in, I already told you that his training pipeline is rigid and will not give him time off to do it. The qual program for nukes is also rigid -- his CoC will not be able to extend his qual goals by 2 weeks to get married because they don't set the timeline, NR does. If they give him time off on the boat to get married then he will have to make up the time later as he will go dinq.

I'm not trying to make it sound like it's all gloom and doom; I am married myself. My CoC gave me a week off to go on a honeymoon in a drydock period. I wish I could tell you that was guaranteed, but it's not. On the employment front, my wife always happened to get a call right around the time we were ready to PCS, not at all helped by the fact my boat did a change of homeport mid-tour to go into an engineered overhaul. She was making a little over $20/hour in a hospital admin job before we got married and had offers in her home city for 1.5-2x that salary. Hospitals are everywhere so getting employment should be easy, right? Wrong. Unfortunately, the two local hospitals weren't hiring. When she looks at classifieds, the overwhelming amount of admin/clerical type jobs require a master's degree and 5 years of experience. She did some substitute teaching and considered daycare, but no one was hiring full-time positions; part-time at $10-15/hr is all that was available and not worth the cost of a babysitter.

Hopefully you have better luck than we did, but the reality is that flexibility is the name of the game if you wish to be a working military spouse. My wife has difficulty finding employment because outside of working a hospital admin job, she is ill-qualified to do much else. I knew this when I married her, though, and once my children get a little older it's likely she will go back to school. The reason I post this is so that you and your boyfriend consider these things before you jump into marriage; there are a LOT of divorces in the military and it typically stems from having misguided expectations from the beginning paired with financial troubles.

On the admin side, he routes a chit to notify his CoC that he's getting married. They can't order him not to tie the knot; this is to make sure his CoC is informed and can take action to support him. Once you are married he brings the certificate to PSD and updates his page 2 and SGLI beneficiaries if desired. Then he enrolls you in DEERs and if you desire Tricare prime he fills out a form for that. Once you two have a lease or mortgage, he brings it to PSD to get BAH. It's fairly simple and all this would take an hour of his time, not including time spent waiting in line.

The Navy will not pay for you to move in with him; they will pay for you to move in every subsequent accompanied PCS move.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2013, 04:41 by spekkio »

MacGyver

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59 »
It seems that my advice, offered for the last 25 years, has finally become a book.

William "Bill" Bennett - Is college worth it?

I doubt it will wake up the drones of folks that think you must go to college to make it / or be successful in life.  You can't help the closed minded.  Even with a book.  ;)

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 08:58 »
Something to keep in mind is that you can register with the base Child Development Center to provide child care for military families. You could also try getting work as a nanny. I know people that have done both, it doesn't always pay well (although my wife was making more than me, an E-6 >8, as a nanny when we met), and there are a lot of restrictions for the CDC, but it is a job.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?