Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Federal Noncompetitive Eligibility honeypot

Author Topic: Federal Noncompetitive Eligibility  (Read 5742 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Federal Noncompetitive Eligibility
« on: Apr 25, 2013, 07:07 »
Okay, my gig with Peace Corps is about over.  I was looking at options for what to do next and have questions about one of the benefits I will have as an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer), that of Federal Noncompetitive Eligibility.  From the Peace Corps website:

Under the Provisions of Executive Order (EO) 11103 (5 CFR, § 315.605), certain returned Peace Corps Volunteers are awarded one year of noncompetitive eligibility (NCE) for selection for federal employment. This eligibility does not mean that returned Volunteers are entitled to federal employment. However, although noncompetitive eligibility does not require, it does permit an agency to hire a returned Volunteer who meets the minimum qualifications for the position without going through all of the formalities of the competitive process (including posting a vacancy announcement, screening or interviewing candidates, or going through the others steps that are involved in the standard recruitment process). All that is required is that the agencies have a classified position and an available opening, and that the candidate meet the minimum qualifications for that position. The decision whether to hire a returned Volunteer under noncompetitive eligibility is within the discretion of the hiring agency. Therefore, to alleviate any confusion it is advised that RPCVs make the hiring agency aware of their remaining NCE as clearly as possible.

So, here's where I need help brainstorming...  How could this NCE be used in the nuclear industry?  I have thought of the NRC, DOE, and TVA - are there other obvious ones I'm missing?  And do they fit the bill with 'competitive process', etc?  If so, how do I track down 'available openings' - it seems like anything that I could find would already be so far along in the 'standard recruitment process' that there wouldn't be any advantage (for them) to use my NCE?

My qualifications for nuclear work are 20+ years of RP, a bachelors in electronics technology, and a couple years of I&C.  I am mostly thinking about RP instrumentation or I&C jobs, but would love to hear ideas about other interesting work.

Any ideas appreciated!  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 07:10 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline oldguy

• Lurker
Re: Federal Noncompetitive Eligibility
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2013, 03:58 »
Would one consider Civil Service as RP or I&C at say one of the US Navy Shipyards or Repair Facilities like Kings Bay, GA or Bangor, Washington working with and repairing Trident submarines and SEAL Delivery submarines (same class boat) (goggle TRF Kingsbay)?  There are also openings at NASA, FL periodically.  I sent a young RP Tech to NASA in February and I just heard that he is doing very well and loves his new job working in the RF (radio Frequency) Lab.

... just a thought.

Also, I have been following your thread for about a year now and I want to thank you soooo much for your sacrifice and service.    +K  +K

Oldguy, same job.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:36 »
Would one consider Civil Service as RP or I&C at say one of the US Navy Shipyards or Repair Facilities like Kings Bay, GA or Bangor, Washington working with and repairing Trident submarines and SEAL Delivery submarines (same class boat) (goggle TRF Kingsbay)?  There are also openings at NASA, FL periodically.  I sent a young RP Tech to NASA in February and I just heard that he is doing very well and loves his new job working in the RF (radio Frequency) Lab.

... just a thought.

Also, I have been following your thread for about a year now and I want to thank you soooo much for your sacrifice and service.    +K  +K

Oldguy, same job.

Thanks, Oldguy!

I'm not sure whether the shipyards themselves have to do 'competitive process', or not.  I'll have to check that part of the equation out.  But NAVSEA is an option I hadn't thought of and will research.

And I'd completely spaced NASA.  Definitely one that I'll chase further.  It also reminds me that we probably still have 'Star Wars' research going on out in the Marshall Islands?  I got interviewed for that right out of school, but kept losing out to people who were already cleared.  I'll have to see what the status is there...

Anyway, I really appreciate the ideas!

:)

(...and thanks to everyone who sent me ideas via PM! :) )

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:02 »

So, here's where I need help brainstorming...  How could this NCE be used in the nuclear industry?  I have thought of the NRC, DOE, and TVA - are there other obvious ones I'm missing?  

Any ideas appreciated!  :)

Found this list of 'excepted services':

http://www.fedjobs.com/lib/TIP_Excepted_Service.html

So...the NRC isn't an option after all...  :(   

...and neither is Congress!  ;)

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23 »
Google "USA jobs" and click on the USA jobs link. In the advanced search area they have a side tab for excepted jobs....... USDOE, NRC, DOD are all listed with job openings you might qualify for as well as DOT......

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?