Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Duke, TVA, SCANA, etc help for a recent grad/Navy Nuke vet honeypot

Author Topic: Duke, TVA, SCANA, etc help for a recent grad/Navy Nuke vet  (Read 6584 times)

Offline Dz84

• Very Lite User
Hi! I'm a recent Nuclear Engineering grad and former 8-year Navy Nuke. I'm very interested in getting a job in the South. Anywhere would work but I would especially love Duke, TVA, or SCANA. I have applied for numerous engineering jobs and have yet to receive any word back on any of them. I understand that operator jobs take a long time to 'process' and filter through the HR world, is it the same for engineering jobs? What is the proper etiquette on following up on these job applications? Taking into account my Navy experience and my degree, does anyone have advice for me on what types of jobs to pursue and how to get into the commercial nuclear power industry? In particular, I want to pursue systems/rapid response engineering. Thank you for any help, advice, and beat-downs for not seeing a different thread dealing with this exact topic!

DZ
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:24 by Dz84 »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
Re: Duke, TVA, SCANA, etc help for a recent grad
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2013, 02:40 »
Hearsay alert:

Duke is in the process of closing Crystal River and is looking to relocate those workers to other plants. 

TVA has been affected by the government's cuts and has few job postings.

SCANA has been actively recruiting for ops, not sure about engineers, but I would think they'd need more of them as well.

If you have a legit Nuke degree and not some engineering technology degree, then coupled with the Navy background, you would seem a solid choice on paper.  Make sure your resume is concise and reflects what they're looking for.  There are a couple sites you can use to get in touch with HR types and hiring managers.  Be persistent and go get it. 

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2013, 04:16 »
If you are applying for an engineering job without actual experience as an engineer, it may prove difficult to get hired.

I know that the folks we (VC Summer, new units) have hired for engineering have either been experienced engineers or been graduates of traditional (mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc.) engineering programs.  Many of them have also interned at operational plants.

Now, having said that it doesn't mean you wont get offered a job.  It means that things are stacked slightly against you.  Also, what we did on active duty does not count as engineering experience, just as an fyi.

Hearsay alert:

Duke is in the process of closing Crystal River and is looking to relocate those workers to other plants. 

SCANA has been actively recruiting for ops, not sure about engineers, but I would think they'd need more of them as well.

If you have a legit Nuke degree and not some engineering technology degree, then coupled with the Navy background, you would seem a solid choice on paper.  Make sure your resume is concise and reflects what they're looking for.  There are a couple sites you can use to get in touch with HR types and hiring managers.  Be persistent and go get it. 

To add to this, Kewaunee will be shutting down in May.  Over the next several years those folks will be relocating.

MacGyver

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2013, 06:07 »

To add to this, Kewaunee will be shutting down in May.  Over the next several years those folks will be relocating.

Currently I know of several utilities with postings out for those said workers to gauge interest and availability of said workers for actual openings in the near future.

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2013, 06:12 »
Have you tried Vogtle 3&4? 

I don't know how that's going but if you check SNC's career page you might find a job you like.  It's in the south and not mentioned in your previous search.

Jus Sayin

Offline Dz84

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:46 »
Hearsay alert:

I was aware of Crystal River closing and knew it would be a tough go to get into Duke. I was unaware of how budget cuts would affect TVA. I certainly won't give up but I need to be realistic about those two companies and will likely need to expand my search. SCANA had approached me about an interview for a quality engineer job (which is not what I am looking for) but the salary was less than a current job offer I have from a gov't agency. Hindsight being 20/20, perhaps I should have entertained the possibility because getting my foot in the door at V.C. Summer would have opened up a wealth of opportunites down the road. Hopefully the SCANA recruiter who contacted me won't hold my declining the interview against me for future jobs Also, my degree is 'legit' (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) so that is working in my favor.

I know that the folks we (VC Summer, new units) have hired for engineering have either been experienced engineers or been graduates of traditional (mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc.) engineering programs.  Many of them have also interned at operational plants.
I had a mechanical engineering internship at GE for a summer and fall semester. That may or may not help...probably not.  :(
Have you tried Vogtle 3&4? 

I don't know how that's going but if you check SNC's career page you might find a job you like.  It's in the south and not mentioned in your previous search.

Jus Sayin
Thank you for the suggestion. However, once my fiance gets out of the Navy this summer, he wants to go get his engineering degree as well. So wherever I get a job, we need to be within a reasonable driving distance of an engineering school. That has eliminated a few plants, Vogtle 3 & 4 included.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:49 »
..... Also, my degree is 'legit' (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) so that is working in my favor......

GO RED!!!! GO WHITE!!!!! BEAT CLARKSON!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 09:51 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Dz84

• Very Lite User
Hearsay alert:
I just got an email from TVA with the following message:

Due to business reasons, we will not be filling requisition #, SYST ENG EMERGY PREPAREDNESS C

So it seems like you're spot on. Very disheartening, I was very hopeful about TVA. Chattanooga was my top choice for where I wanted to live.

Fermi2

As a rule cuts that affect the rest of the government do not affect TVA. TVA is not budgeted or supported by the US Government. So my best guess is the position did not get cancelled due to government cuts.

The most likely reasons it did get cancelled are the following:

1: Someone internal took the job.

2: It was simply determined the position is no longer needed.

3: It's getting very close to the end of TVA Fiscal year. That usually means departments are looking to cut back in order to meet their budget and the position will be filled next fiscal year.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?