Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Finding your first job!? honeypot

Author Topic: Finding your first job!?  (Read 10301 times)

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
Finding your first job!?
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 11:02 »
Hey guys, I am currently 22 and looking to graduate from school as an I&C Technician in December. So far I really love the industry and am just intrigued by the different opportunities that may come my way. The program I am in is sponsored by the Southern Company and I am really excited about all of that. I have already passed the POSS/MASS and the TECH tests for the positions they may have available for graduating students. We are taking a written evaluation test this upcoming Tuesday and will be taking a hands on evaluation test the following week (I believe, maybe 2 weeks after the written.) I've been studying up for those tests as best as I can because I really want the best shot at this as I can get. I would love to end up in Nuclear one day.

The question I am wanting answered is what should I expect from other employers? The Southern Company has been really good about walking us through everything because they have been "grooming" us for their own purposes if you will. However, I know nothing always goes as planned and I may not get offered a job with them. I am willing to move and am somewhat intimidated by all the other places that do have positions for I&C techs. I am mainly wondering if I can expect more of the same things. Aptitude tests, tests revolving around some of the basic principles, and things of that nature that I have already experienced?

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Finding your first job!?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 11:32 »
I am mainly wondering if I can expect more of the same things. Aptitude tests, tests revolving around some of the basic principles, and things of that nature that I have already experienced?

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14986.msg86020.html#msg86020

Good luck!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:14 »
Thank you very much! Almost exactly what I was looking for. I'd also like some first hand experiences if anyone wants to share!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:09 »
Thank you very much! Almost exactly what I was looking for. I'd also like some first hand experiences if anyone wants to share!
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,35974.msg170381.html#msg170381
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,14986.msg88158.html#msg88158

They flew me back and I took one of the EEI aptitude tests (POSS? MASS? It's been a while...) Said I didn't need the I&C test, because of my recent degree/GPA. Called me back about a week later and said the union was insisting I take the I&C test, too. Flew back again and took it. Got job offer - report date in 12 days! Rushrushrush. Get to jobsite. Sit for a couple of months while they hire other open slots. Finally, an ex-systems engineer, a telephone repairman, a computer repairman, a long-term non-nuclear I&C tech, and I round out the training class. Two years of cycling back and forth between training and plant work...and - voilá - full-fledged nuclear I&C technicians.

Good luck!  It's great work once you are qualified.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2013, 08:22 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:28 »
You sir are awesome!

It's fairly overwhelming for me at the moment. I'm obviously in school for this type of thing but there is only so much school can teach you imo. I'm looking through some of the stuff you've mentioned in your threads and some of the stuff I recognize as things I need to refresh my memory on and then some things we've never touched. Honestly, Im just worried that if I mess up my chances with the Southern Company its gonna become extremely difficult for me to get on somewhere else. I know this isn't the most likely case but its just stuck in my head that way. I definitely want to go somewhere where they know they are getting an entry level tech and I can be trained further for another year or so. From what I gather I'll have another two years of hands on training if I get hired. I'm honestly just ready to get this all under my belt and outta the way lol. The POSS/MASS and TECH tests were a breeze. I'm just really sweating this evaluation.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:29 »
It's fairly overwhelming for me at the moment. I'm obviously in school for this type of thing but there is only so much school can teach you imo.  

One of the things that an instructor said in school sticks with me..."The employers don't care what you learned in school. You are just proving to them that you can be taught." This was true in my case. Once I was past the entrance test, I didn't use much at all that I learned in college.

It's nice if they taught you enough in school to get past that entrance test. And (not to be discouraging, but...) I did NOT learn enough in college to get past the entrance test I took at one of the local power companies. So, I recommend you brush up on things as much as you can outside of your formal classes.

You should be fine on your current round of tests, since they are given by a utility that helped set the curriculum for your school.

Good luck.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2013, 10:43 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:42 »
Thanks a ton for the advice. I am brushing up on my basic AC/DC and briefly going over some of the fundamentals of temp/pressure/ level/ and flow as they have been drilled into me fairly well. We had a meet and greet last semester and I was told one of the very same things by one of the I&C team leads. He put it simply and said "when we get you, I really just want you to be able to park your car and find your way into the building." lol.

I guess it's just something I will either get it the first time or will slug it through until I make it. Because I know once I get into a job I can learn. It's just getting the opportunity to prove that I can learn and be a good employee.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:45 »
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I graduate in May with an Energy Tech Nuclear degree and also Instrumentation. I've also passed the MASS/POSS at nuc leavel. I find it very interesting that they would hire you as an apprentice Instrumentation tech. It has been very clear to us we will start at the bottom as plant helpers. Best of luck to you.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:00 »
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I graduate in May with an Energy Tech Nuclear degree and also Instrumentation. I've also passed the MASS/POSS at nuc leavel. I find it very interesting that they would hire you as an apprentice Instrumentation tech. It has been very clear to us we will start at the bottom as plant helpers. Best of luck to you.

In which NRC Region are you expecting to begin your employment?

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:46 »
I live in region III but I will go anywhere. I would love to start as a  mechanical, electrical or instrumentation apprentice but realize this is usually not how it works. Starting as a helper is fine with me, I just want to get in the door and work.

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:44 »
I live in region III but I will go anywhere. I would love to start as a  mechanical, electrical or instrumentation apprentice but realize this is usually not how it works. Starting as a helper is fine with me, I just want to get in the door and work.

Yep, we've been told that we will start out either as a tech or auxiliary equipment operator. I'd love to stay around here but I'm willing to go just about anywhere in North America.

Offline jenmcbride2284

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2013, 10:41 »
In order to get into a plant as an RP, or Jr RP, do you have to take the NUF test?  Can you take the test at any nuclear plant?  I am trying to get all of the information to find out if it would be possible for me to get in as an RP.  Thanks so much!

Buckeyes1

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2013, 08:41 »
Some facilities don't require Jr. RP Tech's to take the NUF. But it wouldn't hurt to study for it and offer to take it if you feel comfortable enough to pass it! I know a couple od Jr. Techs who went this route and it worked well for them. It shows the facilities RP Management/Supervision a little ambition.  :)

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57 »
Just wanted to give some more info for anyone who may have been following.

As I mentioned previously I already passed the POSS/MASS and TECH sections of the EEI exams. We had our entrance exams and I made a 75.9% on the written portion. It is no longer pass fail but more of an evaluation. On the old system in order to pass you would have to have made a 76% which was the average grade of the in house instrumentation techs. I feel like that would mean I did fairly well on it. We haven't learned a thing on hydraulics and that is what ultimately made my grade tank. I scored a 33% in that section and if you don't count that then I made an 83% overall. So I'm fairly happy with my performance.

We also had the hands on test which I did pretty well on. I messed up one part and it was simply because of nerves. I was nervous the whole day because I wanted to do my best and forgot to do a few steps which I was counted off for.

We are still waiting to hear about interviews and possible opportunities. Personally I am ready to finish school and get in the industry. 3 more classes to go until I graduate!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:57 by mnorton1228 »

Content1

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:42 »
In order to get into a plant as an RP, or Jr RP, do you have to take the NUF test?  Can you take the test at any nuclear plant?  I am trying to get all of the information to find out if it would be possible for me to get in as an RP.  Thanks so much!

I have lost the nexus here. The whole threads have been about a new I & C technician was inquiring how to get a job. How did we jump to the subject being about an RP and to pass in the NUF? I work as RP but work with, each outage, the more numerous non-RP’s where the jobs are, at least in numbers.   I have asked them their pay which usually exceeds mine. I have been trying to get in their field.  I think we have a new saying here: “those that can, do; those that can’t become an RP.”   Nukeworker has numerous posts explaining how to become an RP. I think they should make a requirement before you ask again how to become an RP that you read the existing material. I almost feel like researching the site and gathering all the material and put it in the book so the site can have the space on how to become something other than RP.  Like how do you become an AOV tech?  How about an RCP tech?

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46 »
I have lost the nexus here. The whole threads have been about a new I & C technician was inquiring how to get a job. How did we jump to the subject being about an RP and to pass in the NUF? I work as RP but work with, each outage, the more numerous non-RP’s where the jobs are, at least in numbers.   I have asked them their pay which usually exceeds mine. I have been trying to get in their field.  I think we have a new saying here: “those that can, do; those that can’t become an RP.”   Nukeworker has numerous posts explaining how to become an RP. I think they should make a requirement before you ask again how to become an RP that you read the existing material. I almost feel like researching the site and gathering all the material and put it in the book so the site can have the space on how to become something other than RP.  Like how do you become an AOV tech?  How about an RCP tech?

If you are serious, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate that.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50 »

Excellent idea. There are a lot of people that use this website that would have an interest in that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?