civilain power plant vs navy power plant

stay navy
3 (42.9%)
6 and out and then civilian plant
4 (57.1%)
6 and out and do something else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: commercial plant vs navy power plant  (Read 7200 times)

Offline babynuke21

• Lurker
commercial plant vs navy power plant
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:48 »
is it worth it to work in a civilian power plant after my 6 years are up? would i be doomed to have rotating shift work the rest of my life if i decided to work in a civilan power plant after the navy?

Fermi2

Re: commercial plant vs navy power plant
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:52 »
Is it unreasonable to assume you might have learned to CAPITALIZE and SPELL correctly?

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:42 »
is it worth it to work in a civilian power plant after my 6 years are up? would i be doomed to have rotating shift work the rest of my life if i decided to work in a civilan power plant after the navy?

Is it unreasonable to assume you might have learned to CAPITALIZE and SPELL correctly?

NONE of the above choices.  Skip the Navy.  But, you'd better take BZ's advice if you wish to stand a chance in either case.  Oh, wait the Navy doesn't care if you'z can spell / grammar  ;) :P

This is what I think of the Navy Nuclear Propulsion job,

;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:48 by MacGyver »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 03:51 »
I'll actually answer your question.  There are plenty of jobs at nuc plants without rotating shifts, but you have to pick around and ask.  Maintenance usually doesn't have a whole lot of rotating shift, chemistry and HP are hit and miss, most ops jobs are rotating until you have some time in.  You could get a foot in the door doing rotating shift work and later go to planning or something else.  I hate rotating shift, but you never know, you might like it....hits everyone differently.  A few places bid 8 hour shifts by quarters.  Like swings one quarter, mids the next...etc.  Some places you are just on mids, days, or swings for years.

Offline dea

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16 »
Are you currently in the Navy?
Assuming that you are, it somewhat depends what your rate is. Navy nukes can usually get hired as operators, that means rotating shift work, there are a variety of schedules, all are  easier than Navy watch schedules. Depending on your rate there are maintenance jobs also  i.e. Instrument Tech, Electrician, Mechanic. Some plants have their maintenance staff on shift work, some don't.
Is it worth it? It was for me. The pay is good, the workforce is very professional and are good people to work with.

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:38 »
I say stay in the navy. I need more job security.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 11:19 »
I say stay in the navy. I need more job security.

Until the next round of RIF,....

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2000/09/bg1394-the-facts-about-military-readiness

Between 1992 and 2000, the Clinton Administration cut national defense by more than half a million personnel and $50 billion in inflation-adjusted dollars.14 (See Table 1.) The Army alone has lost four active divisions and two Reserve divisions. Because of such cuts, the Army has lost more than 205,000 soldiers, or 30 percent of its staff, although its missions have increased significantly throughout the 1990s.

Just saying,....pick your mountain,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19 »
Until the next round of RIF,....

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2000/09/bg1394-the-facts-about-military-readiness

Between 1992 and 2000, the Clinton Administration cut national defense by more than half a million personnel and $50 billion in inflation-adjusted dollars.14 (See Table 1.) The Army alone has lost four active divisions and two Reserve divisions. Because of such cuts, the Army has lost more than 205,000 soldiers, or 30 percent of its staff, although its missions have increased significantly throughout the 1990s.

Just saying,....pick your mountain,.... [coffee]

Tucker just doesn't want competition for his job... he's bored with it...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50 »
I was just kidding. I do recommend getting out. I enjoyed my time in the navy but after 8 years didn't feel like it was for me any more. I did everything I could do on the operations side and did quite a bit on the RP side including the NRRPT, and learning quite a bit about TLDs and the TLD readers. There are always going to be bad days, but I do think my experience so far in the commercial nuclear has been better than the navy nuclear. Just my opinion though. I have friends that stayed in that still love being in. The only hard part about commercial nuclear for me is the outages but it is still better than being out to sea.

Offline babynuke21

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 02:34 »
1. Thanks. But I'm not in high school nor does the navy care.
2. Yes I'm in the navy. I just started prototype.
3.im an ET .

Thank you for all the non sarcastic answers

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?