Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting my first RP job - am i doing it wrong? can i improve my chances?
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting my first RP job - am i doing it wrong? can i improve my chances?  (Read 7085 times)

dubstep girl

Hi,

I'm almost 21yo, i graduated with an Associates in Radiation Protection last may and am still looking for my first RP job. I unfortunately feel that my lack of work experience is hurting my chances of getting hired. I worked for a year at a DOE lab doing office work when i was still in high school. i also worked 2 Exelon plant outages as part of my college internship, this was done through Bartlett.

So I basically have 2 months of RP/decon experience. I passed the NUF, POSS/MASS/TECH exams during college and have been applying to jobs for almost a year now. i've gotten a few interviews from exelon (ive been applying to them for just about every operator and RP job posted since) but no-one else i've applied for has called back. I sent my application to bartlett as well to try and get an outage and have been unsuccessful (most of my college friends managed to get in through connections, unfortunately i'm completely new to nuclear and have no references in the industry).

i've looked around but am not sure what to do next, i know its hard to get in and theres tons of competition out there (more than i originally thought),  is there anything i'm doing wrong or is there a better way to get my first RP job in the industry?

thanks!

MacGyver

Hi,

I'm almost 21yo, i graduated with an Associates in Radiation Protection last may and am still looking for my first RP job. I unfortunately feel that my lack of work experience is hurting my chances of getting hired. I worked for a year at a DOE lab doing office work when i was still in high school. i also worked 2 Exelon plant outages as part of my college internship, this was done through Bartlett.

So I basically have 2 months of RP/decon experience. I passed the NUF, POSS/MASS/TECH exams during college and have been applying to jobs for almost a year now. i've gotten a few interviews from exelon (ive been applying to them for just about every operator and RP job posted since) but no-one else i've applied for has called back. I sent my application to bartlett as well to try and get an outage and have been unsuccessful (most of my college friends managed to get in through connections, unfortunately i'm completely new to nuclear and have no references in the industry).

i've looked around but am not sure what to do next, i know its hard to get in and theres tons of competition out there (more than i originally thought),  is there anything i'm doing wrong or is there a better way to get my first RP job in the industry?

thanks!

Contact Mr. Eric Bartlett himself rat here:

Just PM him and axe him those questions.

Just a thought.  Your call.

Mac

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
What school did you attend? Did your program/school have a power generation company sponsor? I'm just curious.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
When you worked the outages at Exelon for Bartlett, you probably worked for Elizabeth Roberts.  You might try contacting her, and asking if there is anything she can do.

dubstep girl

What school did you attend? Did your program/school have a power generation company sponsor? I'm just curious.

it was Linn State Technical College, not sure if they had sponsors, but Exelon and a few other utilities do support them.

When you worked the outages at Exelon for Bartlett, you probably worked for Elizabeth Roberts.  You might try contacting her, and asking if there is anything she can do.

Correct, I worked for her for both outages.

Contact Mr. Eric Bartlett himself rat here:
Just PM him and axe him those questions.
Just a thought.  Your call.
Mac

hmm...
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2013, 02:22 by dubstep girl »

dubstep girl

Have you read this thread?

Why so hard for JR RP?

Thanks, Now I have, I see Eric's post explaining.

So simply, its just going to be very hard/impossible for me to get anything right now?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 12:32 by dubstep girl »

MacGyver

Thanks, Now I have, I see Eric's post explaining.

So simply, its just going to be very hard/impossible for me to get anything right now?

:P

Seriously, if you do nothing then nothing will be done.  Twisted ain't it?!?!?!  You worked hard to get this far,,, don't waste an opportunity to try a little harder.  Even if it is only one outage this year.  Make it work for you and maybe along the way you establish a professional relationship that pays off for years to come.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 01:22 by MacGyver »

dubstep girl

you're right.

thanks, i'll contact Bartlett this week and see what they say.

Content1

It may be time to face some facts in your job search. Look at the fall outage scheduled Bartlett. Is getting smaller and smaller every year. With many like you trying to get in, the competition is fierce. In many cases you are competing with people much older with many years of experience. There is some truth to the saying is not what you know it's who you know. You mentioned your age as 21, so you don't have a lot of work history. I will tell you what the travelers' job is like.
You work maybe two outages in the spring and fall. They are timed to allow the least disruption to the grid. Unfortunately, it's also the same time most schools are offering classes. Say if you get into a job, and you feel it pay well, it may be a trap. If you have a relationship and are starting to have a family, is it fair to them to be gone so much? I waited until my youngest child was an adult before I came on the road 10 years ago. I'm on the road now as I write this still hurts to be away from the family. Luckily, I am close to retirement and have a way out. You are looking at possibly 45 years on the road. Have you not considered the Navy to get to training? That's where I got my experience from.
If family and home are not a consideration, then go for the road and do so with eyes wide open about what you're getting into.  Money isn't everything.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?