Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dispatcher vs. NLO

Author Topic: Dispatcher vs. NLO  (Read 4597 times)

Offline flatlander86

• Very Lite User
Dispatcher vs. NLO
« on: Apr 26, 2013, 03:19 »
Greetings!

I've been perusing the forums, looking for topics about getting into Power Dispatcher positions. Haven't really found much, other than that with 10 days of training Broadzilla would be the best grid operator in the country. I have found that there are some ex-nukes on here who have gotten into the power dispatching sector vice nuke operator. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice actually regarding the job search process.

I've been in touch with a couple head hunters, but I'm not really convinced they're going to do much for me. Aside from that, all I've really done is browse online job postings and apply for them. I've heard that you really shouldn't spend much more than 10-15% of job searching time on online ads, but it seems like the sources of that kind of advice (e.g., TAPS) aren't really tailored specifically toward the energy industry. Am I completely messed up in my view of the industry's hiring process? I'm honestly not sure how to come across job opportunities outside of public postings. Does anyone who's done the transition have any tips about how to get in on positions that aren't publicly posted on job boards?

For a quick background snapshot...I'm a 6 & out surface nuke EM1 qualified load dispatcher with workcenter supervisor, LPO and drill team experience, and recently NERC RC certified.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is able to provide. Apologies if there's a post somewhere I wasn't able to find with the answers.

Offline dea

• Light User
Re: Dispatcher vs. NLO
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2013, 05:03 »
I don't know if you have looked at the utility websites or not, but a quick look showed that several are looking for dispatchers, also known as system operators. Look at ISO New England, PJM, etc.

Offline SA82

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2013, 10:49 »
I am a recently separated EM1(SS) that took a system operator job last summer. I completed my RC cert before my job search and I was able to land a job without a recruiter. Identify the companies that you would like to work for and check their websites often. The good companies tend to avoid using headhunters because they don't have to use them. Indeed.com is a good site to search as well. Establish a LinkedIn account and join networking groups. I have been contacted by a few recruiters on LinkedIn looking for NERC certified operators (after I had a job).

If you put forth a good search effort and research companies than you shouldn't have a problem finding a job on your own.

Offline flatlander86

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2013, 09:57 »
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and set up a LinkedIn account, very nifty. Looks like the job security of the Navy really does blind you to the ways of the rest of the working world. So, I've been told the industry moves slow just like nuke plants. About how long did the process take for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline SA82

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:34 »
That's correct, the industry tends to take around six months to hire operators. The fall and spring tend to be the fastest in terms of hiring operators because the summer tends to be busy for the industry. I was lucky and was hired about three months after applying in the spring.

Job security for Nukes is definitely good but put in the effort to get the job that you want. I know plenty of nukes that simply called a recruiter with two months till separation and took what was offered. The companies wooed them but a few months later these same nukes were ready to move on. Put in the time now, beef up the resume, and treat yourself like a "free agent" instead of a "sixth round pick" and you will end up on the industry path that you choose.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?