Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Salary, Retirement, and Relationships honeypot

Author Topic: Salary, Retirement, and Relationships  (Read 19001 times)

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
Salary, Retirement, and Relationships
« on: Apr 27, 2013, 06:02 »
1. I've been reading that the starting salary of a nuke is around 25-30 dollars an hour in the civilian sector. So around 50k a year? Do most people take a civ job right after their time in service (or would it be better to stick with military)? Do any nukes get 6 figures as starting?

2. Also, retirement. Is it possible to retire after 20 years as a nuke (do most do this)? I've tallied up the numbers and after 20 years in the navy, you make only around 600k with your base pay (without bonuses, housing, medical, etc though! About a million with that probably considered). If I went my computer science route, assuming all went well with the field, I would make around 1.2 mill in the same time if I stuck with my starting pay. Do people ever completely retire as a nuke right at the 20 year mark?

3. And finally, relationships. I've been reading how hard it is, especially since this might be my job for 20+ years. How do you meet women? When do you meet women? How do you get to talk more with them? It seems really tough, and I honestly don't want to be single for 20 entire years, and probably more. When do you get off duty etc.?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 06:27 by PercMastaFTW »

MacGyver

Re: Salary, Retirement, and Relationships
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2013, 07:29 »
1. I've been reading that the starting salary of a nuke is around 25-30 dollars an hour in the civilian sector. So around 50k a year? Do most people take a civ job right after their time in service (or would it be better to stick with military)? Do any nukes get 6 figures as starting?

2. Also, retirement. Is it possible to retire after 20 years as a nuke (do most do this)? I've tallied up the numbers and after 20 years in the navy, you make only around 600k with your base pay (without bonuses, housing, medical, etc though! About a million with that probably considered). If I went my computer science route, assuming all went well with the field, I would make around 1.2 mill in the same time if I stuck with my starting pay. Do people ever completely retire as a nuke right at the 20 year mark?

3. And finally, relationships. I've been reading how hard it is, especially since this might be my job for 20+ years. How do you meet women? When do you meet women? How do you get to talk more with them? It seems really tough, and I honestly don't want to be single for 20 entire years, and probably more. When do you get off duty etc.?

If you're just worried about money then the military isn't for you.

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2013, 07:38 »
What about the others? But this is what people have been telling me. I want to know the facts.

Edit: I was originally going to go just 4 years and then to college. But since getting this offer, I've been looking into it as much as I can. Either way, I want to do whatever I decide to the best of my ability and stick with it.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 07:56 by PercMastaFTW »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Re: Salary, Retirement, and Relationships
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:39 »
If you're just worried about money then the military isn't for you.
Money is always an issue. No one works for free.

Read thus thread: www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36363.0.

What the monthly base pay is for those paygrades is your lookup.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:45 »

1. Usually, usually, rare but possible

2. I'd assume that MicroSatan, Scroogle, Crapple or Fraudbook will most likely offshore any of those plum IT jobs you are planning on...at least that's been the trend for the past 20 years or so. Yes, there some sailors that retire at the 20 year mark, assuming they aren't passed over 3x on promotions, fail PRT, etc.

3. If you *ahem* search the Avogadro's number of posts/threads on all things Navy, you might find that hookups happen anywhere from A school, nuke school (including marriage proposals during class break, find that post!), prototype, or 4 years on the carrier....where additional opportunities such as engineroom watch, fire drills, GQ, fan room field day, shaft alley cleanup, a plethora of opportunities (to get yourself in trouble!) In fact, with 4500 male and 500 female sailors on the carrier , you have excellent odds (of rejection!) How about focusing on how (assuming you enlist) you will provide proper return on our investment and run/maintain the plant, keep yourself alive, underway and not get into trouble! Now go qualify something, nub!!  :P
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 11:26 by HydroDave63 »

DSO

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2013, 10:06 »
Answering your questions:

1) NO

2)Yes..I did, but your only semi-retired

3) Russian Bride catalogs, Mama Sans in the PI will set you up,or turn gay and easily meet other guys while underway......and talk to them also!!

MacGyver

Re: Re: Re: Salary, Retirement, and Relationships
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2013, 06:09 »
Money is always an issue. No one works for free.

Strike Two on your (lack of) reading comprehension.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2013, 11:20 »
Answering your questions:

1) NO

2)Yes..I did, but your only semi-retired

3) Russian Bride catalogs, Mama Sans in the PI will set you up,or turn gay and easily meet other guys while underway......and talk to them also!!

In the Mullet-ized fleet, it probably gets you EP evals and extra Award Points on the rating exam... http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blnavypromotion3.htm

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:11 »
1 of his posts wasn't about money so looks like reading comp isn't just spekkio's problem.  Just = Only = Entire post.  Re-read his post.

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:28 »
1 of his posts wasn't about money so looks like reading comp isn't just spekkio's problem.  Just = Only = Entire post.  Re-read his post.

I have no intention of offering him relationship advice.  Nor will I ask for it from any of you amateur experts.  I've met most of you and most of you have been divorced.    ;)

So if you so desire to be on-topic feel free.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 07:31 by MacGyver »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:36 »
Talking about his post is on topic and your comment was "he just cares about money"  his third point in the post was not about money, so please re-read his post. I'm not giving relationship advice either, but at least I will be accurate about what his initial post was, unlike you.

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:54 »
Talking about his post is on topic and your comment was "he just cares about money"  his third point in the post was not about money, so please re-read his post. I'm not giving relationship advice either, but at least I will be accurate about what his initial post was, unlike you.

WOW, thank goodness for you and your second 'accurate' (sic) off-topic post.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2013, 03:53 »
Stop bickering, and return to the topic or stop posting please.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2013, 08:43 by Rennhack »

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45 »
Thank you guys soo much for all your great information!!

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 03:45 »
Hell, after six years, you will probably find something better suited for you then operational engineering.  I did, and most nukes I knew did.  (I became an accountant, a friend became a lawyer and an elected official, some become drunks. It is up to you.)

All naval nuke power gives you is the knowledge you can do better then you thought in whatever you chose to do, and no one outside of nuclear power gives a crap you shimmed rods, or synchronized generators, or brought steam into an engine room.

Shoot, few in the Navy care that you can do any of the above listed tasks.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: Salary, Retirement, and Relationships
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 03:14 »
One thing for newbies to keep in mind is that retirement at 20 years is 1/2 of base pay at your top 3 year pay avg. All of your allowances, bonuses, and special pays just disappear, which amounts to a sizeable pay cut. If you retire at 20, you can expect to be making roughly 1/4-1/3 what you did while active duty.

HeavyD

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 03:56 »
In order to "retire" from working when you retire from the Navy, one would need to be a Master Chief (E-9) who lives VERY frugally or a Commander or above (O-5), for the most part.  There are ALWAYS exceptions to everything ;D

This link for data:
http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/militarypaytables.html

E-9 over 20 - Base Pay $5617.50 - retirement pay of $2808.75 BEFORE taxes (don't forget Uncle Sam's cut)

O-5 over 20 - Base Pay $8338.80 - retirement pay of $4169.20, again BEFORE taxes.

On a final note, I met my wife while on leave between prototype and my first ship.  We survived the deployments, workups, long work hours, and all the other sucky things that come along with ANY job.  The big difference between the military and the civilian sector is that most civilian jobs don't send you away from your everyday life for 6+ months at a time.

Being in the Navy isn't a horror movie.  You are expected to do things the way you are told to, be where you are told to be when you are told to be, and stay out of trouble.  This, remarkably enough, is similar to what is expected of you in ANY job.  What you do with your free time away from work is your prerogative.

The Navy is also NOT everyone's cup of tea.  My job as a leader in the Navy was to make sure my sailors had all the info they needed to make the best career decision for them, NOT to make the Navy happy about their choice.  For some that means 6 and out, for others it means 30 years.  Ask yourself every 6 months or so "What are my long term goals?  Is what I am doing helping me get there?".  If you can't answer those questions, then don't keep doing what you are doing.

Best of luck to you. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 05:05 »
You get 2.5% added for every year over 20. Using an E9, the 20 yr mark is probably a lofty goal (also E9s tend to stick around). Much more likely to be E6-E7 at 20 years, E7-E8 at 20-25 years and E8-E9 at 25-30 years.

For Officers anything over O5 will require more than 20 years.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 06:47 »
You get 2.5% added for every year over 20. Using an E9, the 20 yr mark is probably a lofty goal (also E9s tend to stick around). Much more likely to be E6-E7 at 20 years, E7-E8 at 20-25 years and E8-E9 at 25-30 years.

For Officers anything over O5 will require more than 20 years.

Not necessarily - knew several E9 <20 - all nukes, most MM, some would be played by Eastwood in a movie - the particular E9 on my boat would have been Harry in Gran Torino.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:35 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:28 »
I said it was a lofty goal -- as in don't plan on it as a nub because you might not have "it"... that special something that allows you to advance quicker than your peers... not that it can't be done.

HeavyD

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 07:48 »
Every Reactor Officer I ever served with made O-5 around the 17 year point, making O-6 by 20-22 years.

Master Chief in less than 20 is becoming more and more prevalent, even for some non-Nuke rates. 

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 09:00 »
If you retire at 20, you can expect to be making roughly 1/4-1/3 what you did while active duty.

Which is still "free" money for the rest of your natural life.  Plus healthcare.  Not a bad deal if you ask me.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38 »
Which is still "free" money for the rest of your natural life.  Plus healthcare.  Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Don't need the healthcare anymore, everybody gets that nowadays,...

Half of the inducement and reward for good service has been made moot,...

Now it's just down to the question of are the sacrifices of twenty years of service worth whatever pension you snag at retirement,....

The math is different for enlisteds and officers,...

And that point is not really for you Game' as you have already walked that line and know it well,...

That point is for the viewing public who may hear a recruiter still try to use the "medical for life" inducement,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:18 »
Don't need the healthcare anymore, everybody gets that nowadays,...

What do you mean everyone gets free healthcare nowadays?

I was debating joining the navy reserves for a while but ended up changing my mind. A fight with prostate cancer almost sounds better. Just kidding.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 12:33 »
What do you mean everyone gets free healthcare nowadays?

I was debating joining the navy reserves for a while but ended up changing my mind. A fight with prostate cancer almost sounds better. Just kidding.

Look again, I don't see "free'' healthcare mentioned above. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 09:20 »
I wouldn't call it free money -- one has to dedicate 20 years to long hours and deployments to earn it.

My point was to highlight for the wannabes that one won't be able to actually retire after 20 years of service, as in no longer work at all, unless he makes good investments (which retirement funds won't let you touch until another 20 yrs ish later) or seriously scales back his standard of living. It's hard to go back to living on $25-35k/yr when you are accustomed to living on 3-4x that amount and probably have children that are just hitting high school or college age.

It's a nice pad to a career transition but it's not enough to sustain a 38-50 year old with a mortgage, kids, etc. Once you hit real retirement age and can add social security and your IRA/TSP income it's a lot better.

JsonD13

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 10:49 »
This, remarkably enough, is similar to what is expected of you in ANY job.  What you do with your free time away from work is your prerogative.

This is the only part of your post I wholeheartedly disagree with.  Being on the outside is much different than when I was in.  It is sooooo much better on the other side of the fence.  My employer is alot less intrusive into my personal life than the Navy was and alot less demanding on my time.

But I am grateful for the experiences the Navy gave me.

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26 »
Everyone has their reasons to stay in the navy. I don't understand it just like my friend (who is still in) doesn't understand why I got out. I see it as, I would rather trust my money that I invested than to trust the government for their retirement and healthcare. Although they do have TSP now. I live well under my means so that I can retire early. I should have every debt (including house) paid off by 35 so that I can be free to do what I want. My wife feels the same way, thank God. We probably won't have kids or that would cancel the 35 debt free plan. Right now, we are exploring going sailing for 3 years and then coming back to having to find something that pays a little money and hopefully something we both enjoy. I do enjoy making the money I do but it definitely isn't my dream job. I do appreciate having a job though, and I try to work hard at it.

HeavyD

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 04:57 »
I stand by my statement and offer some clarity. 

As an LCPO, I didn't give a rat's @$$ what my sailors were doing away from work, as long as it wasn't illegal.  The only thing I told them was when you come to work, leave the crap you do off the ship, off the ship.  The second I started getting calls about what they were doing from someone off the ship, then their business became my business; and things went downhill fast for them >:(

Most businesses prefer this; leaving your personal stuff outside the workplace.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 07:24 »
I don't know when you were in, but that mentality gets khakis in a lot of hot water today. We had a married E6 drive 2.5 hours (inside liberty radius) to visit family. He got a DUI for refusing a breathalyzer (not very bright). CoC got lambasted by ISIC for not knowing his travel plans. Another case where a guy decides to buy a motorcycle. LCPO gets a talking to why he didn't know the guy was gonna do it (saved by the Sailor admitting it was an impulse purchase).

You can decide to look the other way but you will fry for failure of intrusive leadership if they screw up. It's often a choice between career mobility and treating people like adults, and a lot of people will choose the former.

HeavyD

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 07:02 »
Retired December 2011 ;D

My experience was always about showing you are competent in getting the job done and taking care of your sailors.
As for the one sailor with his travel plans, it was COMLANT policy to report your plans if traveling over 250 miles away from homeport.  The reasoning was that if someone didn't show up to work after a long weekend or such, we would have an idea of where to start looking for said individual.

While on active duty we are in a very unique job scenario.  The ins and outs are too numerous to mention here, but it makes for a distinct difference.  My point is that big picture expectations are usually not that different, as far as behavior goes, for either group.

The only trouble I ever got in was self inflicted and had nothing to do with any of this.  That's a long story though ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?