Facility & Company Information > Bartlett

Blackballed?!

(1/9) > >>

MidnightMeterMan:
Is it true that companies will Blackball you for working for a different company?

Is it acceptable to work for a different company if your usual company doesn't have work at that current time? 

Lets hear what everyone has to say on this topic.

retired nuke:

--- Quote from: MidnightMeterMan on Jun 11, 2013, 11:03 ---Is it true that companies will Blackball you for working for a different company?

Is it acceptable to work for a different company if your usual company doesn't have work at that current time? 

--- End quote ---

my experience is over 10 yrs old, but...

If you skip on a job you have confirmed for, to go with another company - likely you will not be on the "favored sons" list for the original contract. It may not be "blackballed" but it will feel like it..... The amount of notice you give, and the professional behavior you exhibit when you have to do this may limit this feeling. Being a no-show makes you and the contractor look bad to the utility. They (the utility) will remember, even if the contractor doesn't.

I have backed out of a job, and not been penalized, by taking an unpopular spot for the original company at another time - kinda earning my way back in.

Right now the industry has more techs than work - so dragging on a job will probably not pay off in the long run....

Just figure that you will reap what you sow... 8)

Eric_Bartlett:

--- Quote from: MidnightMeterMan on Jun 11, 2013, 11:03 ---Is it true that companies will Blackball you for working for a different company?

--- End quote ---

since you posted this under "Bartlett-Blackballed" I feel the need to respond...

Working for another company will not impact your eligibility with our company, in fact if we don't have work for you, taking a job with another company will only get you more experience thus making you more marketable in the future.   

With that said you have to take into account we have an obligation to take care of those techs that most recently supported us, so if I have a choice between Tech A whose last job worked was for BNI and Tech B whose last job worked was for Shaw or QNS or whomever, I will urge my recruiters to hire Tech A.  The reasons are twofold - 1. it takes someone off our unemployment rolls & 2. it rewards the individual for working for us/supporting us in the past. 

I understand that sometimes by this methodology it may seem like someone is being blackballed, but should we switch it up and hire techs coming off of other jobs with our competition prior to techs coming off of our own jobs it just wouldn't make good business or people sense.    There are of course exceptions to every rule as there are times when we are persuaded to do just that at our clients request. 

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction.  If you feel like BNI is blackballing you, please give me a call directly so we can talk and i can look into the situation.  I cant guarantee you'll be happy with my answer, but it will be an honest one.

As always,
Eric

hoghunter:
I have worked for a few over my 30+yrs and as Eric kind of  said each company is going to keep their people going first and at the same time try and keep the utility's happy ( such is life), because with all said this is a business  even though we know times are hard!We as humans want to complain and fuss if things aren't just as we want and with that just due to the fact you go from one company to another and can't get in remember you are one of many after that same spot and with time as they are the spots are few and Farr between. I wouldn't call that BlackBall

Chimera:

--- End quote ---

While the Companies may not "blackball" you, the site you burned may not want you back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version