Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu In plant comms. honeypot

Author Topic: In plant comms.  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
In plant comms.
« on: Jun 15, 2013, 01:59 »
Operators,

What systems are you using for in plant comms?

At Peach Bottom, we used the Spectra link system, which was great. I also know there are other plants using it.

At Beaver Valley, we currently don't have a "modern" system, and I've been tasked with looking for a suitable system to install here. I'm leaning towards the spectra link system that I'm used to, but I'm looking for other ideas to consider, as well.

Has anyone else ever had to implement a comms change like this? Your input would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: In plant comms.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 »
Am I the only operator hanging out here, anymore?

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2013, 10:23 »
Every one on site is issued a pager, and there is a paging app to send pages from your computer. We also have a wireless phone system with repeaters all over the plant. Don't remember the name of the system, but I can get it if you need it. They are Bluetooth compatible, and the NLO's were issued custom molded earplugs with Bluetooth speakers built in.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013, 10:15 by CT-Mike »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2013, 11:09 »
Every one on site is issued a pager, and there is a paging app to send pages from your computer. W also have a wireless phone system with repeaters all over the plant. Don't remember the name of the system, but I can get it if you need it. They are Bluetooth compatible, and the NLO's were issued custom molded earplugs with Bluetooth speakers built in.

Yes to the bolded, please, that's why I posted.

Justin

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2013, 10:15 »
Justin,

Our wireless system is made by Ascom. There must be several hundred handsets across the site, it seems every first line and above has one. Some of them have to ability to make off-site calls as well.

A couple of bridge circuits were set up for Ops to allow multiple handsets to conference call, very useful when a CO and several NLO's are performing a service water pump op test or the like.

The molded ear-protection/Bluetooth headsets were actually designed for the NLO's to use while wearing a SCBA while performing fire brigade functions. Comes in very hand for surveillances in high noise areas.

If you would like, I can probably put you in touch with the Ops liaison for the install project (was actually an upgrade since the previous generation of Ascom's were no longer supported).

If you want, PM me you work e-mail address and I will pass it along.

Hope this helps,

Mike
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2013, 10:17 by CT-Mike »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2013, 10:30 »
Justin,

Our wireless system is made by Ascom. There must be several hundred handsets across the site, it seems every first line and above has one. Some of them have to ability to make off-site calls as well.

I have previously worked at a site that had wireless comms (plant cell phones) provided by Ascom. Practically everyone on site had a cell. Very reliable and durable. The upgraded system allowed not only calls but texts as well. I think the outside line option costs extra so there was only about 16-20 phones with that ability. Gaitronics was for plant emergencies only and cells worked anywhere in the plant. Very handy when you are  deep in the plant and need clarification on something. I don't understand why every plant does not have these. They saved so much time it was unbelievable.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2013, 11:54 »
Thanks, Mike, PM sent!

Now I'll have two systems to present to the plant health committee. They sound similar, so maybe I can pit them against each other in a bidding war. ;D

Ksheed, it always comes down to money. In fact, I'm betting that my company will say "we've gotten along just fine, all these years, with gaitronics and paging people, why change now?"

Especially considering how low electricity prices are going to be for the forseeable future.

Justin

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2013, 12:01 »
PM replied to.

Sounds like Ksheed's used-ta-plant is using the same setup we are. The texting feature on the new phones isn't really used, among the operators at least.

The coverage throughout the plant and site is very good, except in places like stairwells where there are no repeaters.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2013, 12:43 »
Ksheed, it always comes down to money. In fact, I'm betting that my company will say "we've gotten along just fine, all these years, with gaitronics and paging people, why change now?"

Especially considering how low electricity prices are going to be for the forseeable future.

Justin

Some of the selling points.
1. Inappropriate use of Gaitronics during outage, i.e. funny noises, greatly reduced. Estimated ~90%
2. Productivity increased due to better communication between "field" and "office" staff. No stopping to find Gaitronics and waiting for response to pages or finding open line.
3.Chatter on Gaitronics distracting Operations eliminated with Gaitronics being limited to emergency communication with Ops and plant wide announcements.
4. Chatter on Gaitronics distracting personnel during morning meetings, pre-job briefs, RP/HP briefs eliminated.

PM replied to.

Sounds like Ksheed's used-ta-plant is using the same setup we are. The texting feature on the new phones isn't really used, among the operators at least.

The coverage throughout the plant and site is very good, except in places like stairwells where there are no repeaters.

Very rare to have any coverage issues anywhere inside the plant or PA, especially after the upgrade. Some stairwells were questionable, but you soon learn where you will be out of coverage and adjust to it ( call before entering/after exiting). It worked practically everywhere, basement to penthouse. Texting feature was used with craft for short communication needs and in loud areas i.e., progress updates, dose checks, next break, ETA, next jump....

Side note: You would think that Gaitronics would be saved in the dictionary/spell check for this forum.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2013, 02:03 »
Some of the selling points.
1. Inappropriate use of Gaitronics during outage, i.e. funny noises, greatly reduced. Estimated ~90%
2. Productivity increased due to better communication between "field" and "office" staff. No stopping to find Gaitronics and waiting for response to pages or finding open line.
3.Chatter on Gaitronics distracting Operations eliminated with Gaitronics being limited to emergency communication with Ops and plant wide announcements.
4. Chatter on Gaitronics distracting personnel during morning meetings, pre-job briefs, RP/HP briefs eliminated.

Very rare to have any coverage issues anywhere inside the plant or PA, especially after the upgrade. Some stairwells were questionable, but you soon learn where you will be out of coverage and adjust to it ( call before entering/after exiting). It worked practically everywhere, basement to penthouse. Texting feature was used with craft for short communication needs and in loud areas i.e., progress updates, dose checks, next break, ETA, next jump....

Side note: You would think that Gaitronics would be saved in the dictionary/spell check for this forum.

Thank you! Haha yeah, in regards to number 1, even when we're not in outage we still suffer from that. Someone likes to pic up a gaitronics around 2am everyday and say "It's groundhog day" over the control room speakers. :)

Justin

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2013, 02:06 »
Thank you! Haha yeah, in regards to number 1, even when we're not in outage we still suffer from that. Someone likes to pic up a gaitronics around 2am everyday and say "It's groundhog day" over the control room speakers. :)

Justin

That's funny right there, but downright unprofessional.  ;D

Offline STGN

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2013, 07:16 »
Operators,

What systems are you using for in plant comms?

We have several systems available.
-All AO's have Motorola radios with a good number of channel options.  The radios are also in the control rooms, work control, and available to maintenance, and other organizations.  In the past year or so we upgraded to a new digital system and have been having some coverage problems.  There are supposed to be fixes in the work to make coverage better, but they're slow coming.  The new radios work great at noise cancelling in the plant, and have the options of ear bugs and blue tooth, as well as texting capabilities.

-Everyone at the site has a pager.  Like a previous poster noted, we also have an application on the computer which allows us to type in the message and hit send.

-Hard wired phones and "hear here's" scattered throughout the plant.  We also have a couple of "bridge lines".

-Spectra Link phones are available.  Some groups use them more than others.

-Plant page over the loudspeakers.  Typically the last choice.   

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?