Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Overtime as a NLO/PEO/AO, RO and SRO honeypot

Author Topic: Overtime as a NLO/PEO/AO, RO and SRO  (Read 8218 times)

Offline johnnyhqle

• Light User
Overtime as a NLO/PEO/AO, RO and SRO
« on: Aug 04, 2013, 08:12 »
Hey everyone. I'm glad to say I just accepted an offer for a Plant Equipment Operator starting in Sept.  Before accepting, I asked if there were any overtime opportunities available and was told a fully qualified PEO averages about 200 hours of overtime outside of their normal shift rotation. This seems really high to me as the company has a 5 week shift rotation system. Is this about average for a PEO?

I am also curious about the over time opportunities for higher roles such as a RO or SRO. I found some rough numbers for an unknown utility from a member here that are:
RO- 1300 Equivalent Hours
SRO- 1050 Equivalent Hours
I'm assuming this is on a yearly basis? Can anyone provide some other OT hours for these positions?

Thanks   ;D

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Overtime as a NLO/PEO/AO, RO and SRO
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2013, 08:25 »
200 hours is only 10%, wadda ya mean high?  with built in OT on the shift schedule and at least one outage every 2 years (usually more depending on plant) you will come close with all expected and built in OT to averaging 200 hours without even accepting additional OT.  Some sites you will work 3 outages every 2 years normally....think about it

Offline johnnyhqle

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2013, 08:48 »
200 hours is only 10%, wadda ya mean high?  with built in OT on the shift schedule and at least one outage every 2 years (usually more depending on plant) you will come close with all expected and built in OT to averaging 200 hours without even accepting additional OT.  Some sites you will work 3 outages every 2 years normally....think about it

200 hours OT over a 5 week period seems high to me. That's about 2000 OT hours/year. That comes out to an 80 hour work week if I decided to do all the overtime available. I also wasn't aware OT was built into the shift schedule and outages counted as OT. So 200 is average? I'm new to the game as you can tell.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2013, 04:57 »
a fully qualified PEO averages about 200 hours of overtime outside of their normal shift rotation.
Thanks   ;D
That's not how I read that. I read that as 200 hours overtime over the course of a year above what your normal shift rotation would give you so if you figured it out it would be approximately 400 hours a year. At least that's how I'm reading this.

Offline johnnyhqle

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2013, 10:46 »
That's not how I read that. I read that as 200 hours overtime over the course of a year above what your normal shift rotation would give you so if you figured it out it would be approximately 400 hours a year. At least that's how I'm reading this.

I hope you're not right

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2013, 02:07 »

I guess I am dense but how do you get 400 hours out of 200 hours?

Stngray

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2013, 10:35 »
I work at a three unit site, and volunteer for no overtime. Only do force outs. I worked the first outage this year, 5 on and 2 off. I have about 420 equivalent hours OT so far this year. The highest RO who volunteers for OT has almost 900. We are undermanned, like every other site is, I am sure.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2013, 03:00 »
200 hours of overtime on a five week cycle is tremendously high.  Splitting the 200 evenly results in 40 hours of OT per week, which I don't think can be sustained with the NFR requirements.

At my plant, the five week cycle has 16 hours of built in OT over the course of five weeks, which would result in 192 hours of OT over the course of a year, assuming no outage and that the person did not take any optional OT.

Here are some real numbers for you.  Since I went onto shift with my crew at the end of May, I have earned about 250 hours of OT (including built in).  I have worked quite a bit of overtime, about 75% of what they have offered.  The high/low numbers for YTD for the ROs that have been on rotation for the whole year is 480/350.  That was through mid July.  These numbers are pure OT hours, i.e: hours worked, not hours paid.

I guess I am dense but how do you get 400 hours out of 200 hours?

I couldn't figure that one out, either.  Maybe he meant that for 200 OT hours you'd get paid for ~400 equivalent hours, assuming all 200 were double time hours?
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013, 03:05 by Bleyse »

Offline johnnyhqle

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2013, 04:06 »
200 hours of overtime on a five week cycle is tremendously high.  Splitting the 200 evenly results in 40 hours of OT per week, which I don't think can be sustained with the NFR requirements.

At my plant, the five week cycle has 16 hours of built in OT over the course of five weeks, which would result in 192 hours of OT over the course of a year, assuming no outage and that the person did not take any optional OT.

Here are some real numbers for you.  Since I went onto shift with my crew at the end of May, I have earned about 250 hours of OT (including built in).  I have worked quite a bit of overtime, about 75% of what they have offered.  The high/low numbers for YTD for the ROs that have been on rotation for the whole year is 480/350.  That was through mid July.  These numbers are pure OT hours, i.e: hours worked, not hours paid.

I couldn't figure that one out, either.  Maybe he meant that for 200 OT hours you'd get paid for ~400 equivalent hours, assuming all 200 were double time hours?

great response. Thank you for the info  +K

200 hours of overtime outside of their normal shift rotation was a direct quote from one of my contacts at the plant. It's definitely a little vague which is why I started this thread.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2013, 04:28 »

200 hours of overtime outside of their normal shift rotation was a direct quote from one of my contacts at the plant. It's definitely a little vague which is why I started this thread.

Usually a shift rotation contains built-in OT. "Outside the normal shift rotation" probably means just that; any extra OT.

Also your contact was most likely talking on a yearly basis. As was mentioned earlier,  it would be hard to continuously get 200 hrs of OT every 5 week period without violating work hour rules

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?