Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting in as an NDT UT Technician

Author Topic: Getting in as an NDT UT Technician  (Read 3638 times)

Offline BSM89

• Very Lite User
Getting in as an NDT UT Technician
« on: Jun 19, 2013, 02:16 »
Hello! I am having a lot of trouble finding a job as a non-destructive ultrasonic testing technician. I completed my training in January 2011 and have since only been staffed on one outage (Salem/HopeCreek- found on RoadTechs). Every single day I check Nukewoker, RoadTechs, and several other websites trying to find job, but I have had no luck. I have also contacted Bartlett and DZ Atlantic in hopes that they could get me started, but they said they don't staff my position. I've spent a good deal of time looking through posts on this forum and have come across nothing that has helped me.

Who should I be contacting to get started? Is there anywhere else I should be looking? I am willing to travel to any nuclear plant for an outage. Any input would be great. I am very eager to work on outages more consistently.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your input!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Getting in as an NDT UT Technician
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2013, 02:39 »
Doing a quick Monster search - looks like you fall into the same trap as Jr RP techs.... you need experience, but all the jobs want experienced people.

Does you school have a placement program? many will help for several years after graduation.

Look outside of nuclear - petro / chemical, etc - anything that has piping / pressurised flow systems would need periodic inspections. Nuclear is a limited field, especially for NDE. Other industries will have more work.

Good luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline BSM89

• Very Lite User
Re: Getting in as an NDT UT Technician
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2013, 04:44 »
The school I went to doesn't offer a placement program. I have a few very close friend of mine who have been doing this for about 10 years now and are pretty well known by TVA, but even the person they told me to talk to hasn't gotten back in touch with me.

I've applied for dozens of jobs in all different fields, but still nothing. I'm beginning to feel like the search has become hopeless! I was told that once I got on my first outage, it should be pretty easy for me to get on consistently, but I'm finding that this is not the case.

Thanks for your help though!

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?