Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Which geographical locations have high chance of hiring?

Author Topic: Which geographical locations have high chance of hiring?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline Joshuakanoff

• Lurker
     My wife and I are on the fence whether to further my naval career or transfer to the civilian side. We have about one year before the date arrives; so we have been researching the cons and pros of both. One civilian side con as most of you know is the job location not aligning with our ideal (wishful) living location. Our ideal living locations are Southern California, Central Pennsylvania, Southeast, or Kittery,ME area. I was born in Lemoore, CA and we have both made numerous trips to Southern California to visit family. I grew up near my grandparents in Harrisburg, PA and Kittery,ME is my wife's hometown. Charleston's year round warmth and southern hospitality coaxed me into putting the Southeast on our wishlist.
     Since qualifications and experience matters most in hiring, I suppose my track record would help in others offering accurate advice.
     I have served for 3.1 years on a 688 fast attack in which 1.6 years have been served in the PNSY and 1.5 years in Groton,CT. I have qualified submarines, basic primary valve operator, shutdown electrical operator, basic engineering qualification, reactor technician, electrical operator, reactor operator, shutdown reactor operator, 301 craftsman, 301 maintenance person, reactor maintenance technician, reactor maintenance assistant, and repair parts petty officer. ET2 is my rate if you haven't assumed yet. The qualifications may look slim if knowledgeable about Naval nuclear work; but all was hard earned. Notable Qualifications in progress are engineering watch supervisor/engineering duty petty officer, maintenance planner, and work station supervisor which I plan on completing within next February time frame. Successfully completing and taking on challenging work is what drives part of my person; hopefully that is taken into account in an effort to expanding my job location horizons to near our wishful living locations.
      So, does anyone have any thoughts on what our next move should be towards having a successful possible post-Navy career in one of the aforementioned locations?

Content1

Mark off Southern California as San Onofre is gone.  The East coast is your best bet.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
You sound as if you are set on being an operator or working in an operating plant,...

Is that accurate?

No that there's anything wrong with that,..... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
          So, does anyone have any thoughts on what our next move should be towards having a successful possible post-Navy career in one of the aforementioned locations?

In the past year, Kewaunee and San Onofre (and CVN-65) have announced closure. Swarms of operators, I&C techs, radiation protection techs and craft are all out there trying to land pretty much the same jobs that you seek, with many more years of industry-relevant experience.

Even accounting for the age-discrimination by resume math that many HR departments use, they are still more likely to invite for POSS test and interview a 30 year old guy with EWS or EOOW on the resume, rather than a 5.9 years-and-out lacking them. And for crying out loud, lose the digital description of time!!

Were I in your shoes, I'd re-up for whatever length of time that maximizes your chances of EWS/EOOW, finishing a degree and a good chunk of reserve cash for when you EAOS with the other two completed. Having those 3 things accomplished makes for a lot less stress when you are bouncing between job fairs with other lean and hungry squids!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?