Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New EM Technology: Spray Lights up Contamination Hot Spots
honeypot

Author Topic: New EM Technology: Spray Lights up Contamination Hot Spots  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
New EM Technology: Spray Lights up Contamination Hot Spots

OAK RIDGE, Tenn. – Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) researchers have developed a new technology to determine the extent of contamination in Cold War facilities that could replace costly and time-consuming traditional survey methods used by EM.

The innovative process is simple but effective: spray scintillating phosphor on the surface, and if it lights up, it’s a hotspot of radioactivity.

“Frankly, it works surprisingly well from our perspective,” said David Glasgow, a researcher at the laboratory. “Use of phosphor in this work is completely new and the detection limits we have achieved are exemplary for work of this kind.”

EM's Office of Deactivation & Decommissioning and Facilities Engineering (D&D/FE) Director Andrew Szilagyi challenged the researchers to find an efficient, effective way to determine the extent of elevated levels of low-energy beta emitting isotopes, such as technetium-99,  in aging facilities in EM’s nuclear cleanup program. Technetium-99 is a slow-decaying radioactive isotope present in the remaining portion of Oak Ridge’s K-25 superstructure and the large gaseous diffusion plants scheduled for future decommissioning at EM's Portsmouth, Ohio, and Paducah, Ky. sites.

Szilagyi wanted to depart from the traditional methods that rely on large crews to survey, characterize, sample and analyze, all of which is especially costly in hazardous conditions. What’s more, high dose rates may prevent traditional survey devices from detecting contamination, forcing the longer process of sampling and analysis.

The commercially available spray is water-based and nonhazardous, and the scintillator coating can be removed easily without impeding decontamination efforts. The scintillator becomes energetically excited in contact with ionizing radiation, releasing excess energy through fluorescence, or light emission.

While radiological control technicians may take hours to assess contamination in an entire room using field survey instruments, the spray safely brings results in minutes.

“If we can assess larger areas more quickly, it would reduce the amount of time people have to be in those areas,” Glasgow said.

A camera, night vision device and optical filter can capture the images of the contamination, but the green color of the scintillator emission can be viewed by the naked eye when contamination is at a high level.

Szilagyi said EM is currently investigating use of the spray in the nuclear cleanup program.

http://energy.gov/em/articles/new-em-technology-spray-lights-contamination-hot-spots?goback=%2Egde_2530360_member_260796707

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Just what we need... RP in a can.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Just what we need... RP in a can.

Don't worry they will still need people qualified to spray the can and draw up the survey maps. ;D

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Don't worry they will still need people qualified to spray the can and draw up the survey maps. ;D

those would be guest workers,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
I can imagine the conversation now...

HP:  It's hot
Boss:  How hot?
HP:  I don't know but it's glowing. Sort of yellow-orange.
Do you want me to go take some smears and find out?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
I can imagine the conversation now...

HP:  It's hot
Boss:  How hot?
HP:  I don't know but it's glowing. Sort of yellow-orange.
Do you want me to go take some smears and find out?

Continuation...

Boss: No, just tell me what shade of orange it was. Would you call it burnt orange, ochre, sunset orange, peach, papaya, mandarin...
HP: Hold on a minute, I have to go get my wife. I am a man -- there are only 6 colors and only one of them is orange...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?