Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Privatize TVA?

Author Topic: Privatize TVA?  (Read 9833 times)

Offline wingnut

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Privatize TVA?
« on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:38 »
I've been watching postings here and elsewhere about how TVA is doing when it comes to operating its nuclear fleet. Over the past few years I have been at Browns Ferry and Watts Bar. Both have had more than their fair share of grief. BFN is still not out of trouble with the NRC in resolving its red finding. Watts Bar Unit 2 blew out budgets and start up dates. The list goes on. Its time to sell. IMHO Browns Ferry still operates because  one government entity (NRC) won't shut down another (TVA). Regulators shut down Cook in '97 and it learned and advanced. TVA won't advance because, as a government entity, it doesn't owe anyone (stockholders) anything.

Fermi2

Re: Privatize TVA?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:41 »
They should at least privatize the nuclear end of it. I agree.

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2013, 01:54 »
IMHO Browns Ferry still operates because  one government entity (NRC) won't shut down another (TVA)...  TVA won't advance because, as a government entity, it doesn't owe anyone (stockholders) anything.

This could not be further from the truth.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2013, 04:37 »
Bleyse is correct. That has nothing to do with it, however, TVA would be far better off privatized. The peoplebin the valley don't realize it because they've only known TVA. Corker is right.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2013, 08:21 »
TVA would be far better off privatized.

Only if those REAs and townies that get first preference power sales want to start paying market rates....they'd miss that cheap coal and hydro pretty quick!

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2013, 08:35 »
Cheap Coal is rapidly becoming a thing of TVA Past. Hydro hasn't been a valid part of the mix since I have been here. TVA rates are not all that cheap anymore. Exelon and Entergy could run it better under the modern restrictions. TVA runs a river better than anyone but the rest can be done better by others.

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2013, 09:06 »
Broad,
Did you mean "ruins" a river better than anyone?

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2013, 09:17 »
I think they run the River quite well but need new management blood to an extent. I think Johnsons cleaning house is a great thing and should run down to the department head level. Replace them with Exellon and Entergy or Duke Folks. Or simply privatize.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2013, 11:19 »
Be careful what you ask for in regard to Duke or Exelon as I have seen them change a number of nuclear plants in the last 10 years and not one of them was in a positive direction.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2013, 11:38 »
Another factor that would make selling off TVA politically difficult, is the slew of litigation that would come from the former landowners.

Eminent domain of Grampa Jed's valley farm for a government dam project is one thing, but if the government doesn't need that project anymore, why should that there land go to some city slickers in Chicago or Charlotte?  [mob]

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2013, 01:40 »
Oh there'd be lots of laws to change.

And I agree with OldHP. The trouble is TVA is slowly sliding backwards. I wonder what it would take to privatize Nuclear?

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:03 »
I think they run the River quite well but need new management blood to an extent. I think Johnsons cleaning house is a great thing and should run down to the department head level. Replace them with Exellon and Entergy or Duke Folks. Or simply privatize.

Cleaning has begun!
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2013, 01:10 »
So I hear. In any event they should privatize it.

Offline wingnut

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2013, 07:22 »
Sure, it should get privatized but it's government property and it'll never happen. Being "government" has kept another entity, the NRC, from treating them like the privatley held plants---like shutting BFN down until it gets it right. Maybe the new folks will make a difference. I'm hopin'

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2013, 12:19 »
I'm certain eventually it will happen. If they were still being funded by the government it would have happened already. I know Corker is hot to have it happen.

What you said about the NRC is bs. They have in fact taken away TVA keys in the past.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?