Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How much did you actually get for your STAR BONUS

Author Topic: How much did you actually get for your STAR BONUS  (Read 9518 times)

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
I know the basic formula for the STAR reenlistment bonus, (monthly pay)x(multiplier)x(years extended)

BUT i have 2 questions

Are the years extended 6 years or 2 years? I'm only doing 2 extra years but it's six years from the time i sign it.

Has anyone ACTUALLY received their bonus after 2012... looking for some updated info on what each rate stands to make from the reenlistment bonus.
Right now ET multiplier is 11.5 EM is 8.5 and MM is 9.0 for Zone A

Any thoughts or replies would be great, and don't hate because all the searches I did couldn't come up with anything recent or notable

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
Re: How much did you actually get for your STAR BONUS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2013, 08:35 »
Make second class on your own.  Do not reinlist untill you get to the fleet and fully understand the job requirements (see if a life at sea and how you are treated are what you thought it would be).  Of course it is easy to say that as I was a 6 and out who made second class at prototype.  EM-1 SS/EWS/EDPO

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2013, 01:25 »
Your basic contract is a 4 year contract with a pair of one (1) year extensions.  These extensions are inactive extensions in that your current EAOS is 4 years from the day you reported to Active duty.  These extensions remain inactive until you reach the point at which they begin, then they become active extensions. (hopefully that all made sense, it does sound rather wordy)

You are obligated to your first 1 year extension when you accept E-4 when graduating "A" School.

Second extension, when you go to prototype.

When you STAR at your 2 year point, you are serving a 4 year contract, with two years of inactive extensions.  The calculation is based on the total number of months past your current EAOS you are giving the Navy.  That's why the calculation only sees you having 2 years left.  you are reenlisting for 6 years from that date.

Also, the calculation is actually (Base Pay)X(Multiple)X(Number of months added)/12.  And the only reason you need to reenlist STAR is to get the automatic advancement to E-5 and a "guaranteed" "C" School.  You can make E-5 off the exam, get paid for it (that's important because the base pay portion of the equation doesn't change until actually paid for higher rank), then reenlist for only 5 years and most likely max out the bonus. 

Your Divisional Career Counselor should be able to tell you all of this stuff.  If they can't, they aren't doing there job right and you need to see either the Departmental CC or your Command CC.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering. 

Offline EM UMPTY SQUAT

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:56 »
I personally won't have an opportunity to STAR until I'm in the fleet, maybe I'll make E-5 on my own by then, maybe I won't. I was asking because plenty of people who got to STAR while at prototype (either for SPU or because they were going to the FORD and had to extend their contract) are saying their getting the max of 90k.

stefanc2011

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2013, 09:01 »
You can't STAR at prototype, even for the Ford.  You can, however, if your a SPU, which is a completely different thing.  It all has to do with the amount of time you have left at the command.  As it stands now, unless your a SPU, you can't STAR until you hit the fleet.

Offline drumstick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2013, 10:53 »
I was asking because plenty of people who got to STAR while at prototype

I wish I didn't go to New York. I would have loved to STAR in prototype.

HeavyD

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:27 »
You can't STAR at prototype, even for the Ford.  You can, however, if your a SPU, which is a completely different thing.  It all has to do with the amount of time you have left at the command.  As it stands now, unless your a SPU, you can't STAR until you hit the fleet.

The part about time left at the command being a factor is not correct.

Per MILPERSMAN 1160-100, Section 3:

3. Eligibility Requirements for Nuclear Personnel. Nuclear personnel must have at least 21 months, but not more than
6 years, of continuous active Naval Service on their date of reenlistment.

Whether or not the CO at prototype will endorse a student reenlisting under STAR is an entirely different matter, since CO approval is required.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2013, 09:52 »
I have never seen a CO endorse a student reenlistment. JSIs usually route the paperwork between qualifying and graduating, then reenlist around their 2 year point (some have pushed it off and almost got away without reenlisting). When students get assigned to the Ford, they are required to obliserve to 2 years after the commissioning date. This is yet another inactive extension that allows them to reenlist and not count those years in the calculation.

stefanc2011

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2013, 10:36 »
The part about time left at the command being a factor is not correct.

Per MILPERSMAN 1160-100, Section 3:

3. Eligibility Requirements for Nuclear Personnel. Nuclear personnel must have at least 21 months, but not more than
6 years, of continuous active Naval Service on their date of reenlistment.

Whether or not the CO at prototype will endorse a student reenlisting under STAR is an entirely different matter, since CO approval is required.

Gotcha.  I think what I got confused with is that the CO will not endorse any students reenlisting, which from what I have heard is that students for the most part won't have enough time left at the command to get paperwork through, because most graduate and go.  Apologize for getting speculation and facts mixed up though.  Thanks for the correction!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?