Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC program requirements and considerations

Author Topic: NUPOC program requirements and considerations  (Read 14628 times)

Offline shini

• Very Lite User
NUPOC program requirements and considerations
« on: Jul 31, 2013, 12:53 »
I would like to first say thank you for the information this forum has collected and the service it provides. I am a junior at Cameron university majoring in physics minoring in chemistry and math. I have a 3.859 GPA (A few B's in general ed classes, all A's in my major/minors). My current graduation date is expected to be after the spring of 2015 semester.

A brief history for me is I went to a specialty school right out of high school left due to costs. I took a break from getting my education for a few years, worked for awhile until I decided to start taking a few classes at night. I decided to try and enlist in the Air Force, but decided to back out due to nervousness and some soul searching. After the Air Force, partially due to some words my recruiter told me when I decided to back out, I started back to school full time. I am now 26 years old expecting graduation just around my 28th birthday. I still feel really bad about my choice to back out of the Air Force, and I really want to honor my commitment I made to serve. The Air Force doesn't wont consider me due to where I was in the process when I backed out before. Looking at other options the Navy's Nuclear program is most inline with my education and career goals while allowing me to serve of any branch.

So for my questions regarding the NUPOC program. The physical requirements for the program state that a physical fitness test is required. How far into the process do you have before you have to take their physical fitness test, and what standards do you have to pass with? While I am in pretty good health, exercise has been lax since I stopped prepping for the Air Force BMT. I also have issues with push-ups, I curse my long skinny arms. I know I could pass the running and sit-up portions of a PRT with a satisfactory to good score with a few weeks of training its the push-up portion that would take me several months to bring up.

The other question I had is how much consideration is given to the school and program you are in? My school isn't well known or in my opinion very difficult. I fear my good GPA might mean less due to my school. That said I am pretty we have had a student go to the Navy as part of the NUPOC program just before I started back but I think he triple majored or something in physics, math, and computer science.

I am mainly interested in the NUPOC program for the path it will lead to after graduation, while having the Navy pay for the rest of my school would be nice, I am not dependent on that situation. If the physical aspect is the only thing I end up lacking in can I be accepted per say without receiving benefits till I meet the physical training requirements?

P.S. For anyone wondering my AF recruiter told me, "I would go back to my dead end job never amount to anything and regret not joining for the rest of my life."

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
Re: NUPOC program requirements and considerations
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2013, 01:51 »
I am also a rising junior, but majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I am applying for the NUPOC as we speak, with my Chief hopefully sending in the final paperwork by the end of the week. That being said, I have not put any time into the service so I can't critize what you have shared, but I will try my best to provide some information of my process thus far. Most members who have seen time won't appreciate your reasonings and I will touch on that. I haven't gotten awarded the program, I am speaking through my research, findings, other members first hand accounts, and information told to me by my Chief.

The Air Force doesn't wont consider me due to where I was in the process when I backed out before. Looking at other options the Navy's Nuclear program is most inline with my education and career goals while allowing me to serve of any branch.
This doesn't make full sense. How would the NUPOC help you in any other branch? Do you wish to join other branches of service? If so, you will have crossed AF off the list (maybe a dashed line) and then casually go into the Nukes before maybe joining the Army Rangers or something? Just no. If you are trying to scratch the itch to serve you originally had, there are other programs that are well suited for that besides the NUPOC. The Navy provides the NUPOC for those specifically qualified and specifically motivated towards the program.

So for my questions regarding the NUPOC program. The physical requirements for the program state that a physical fitness test is required. How far into the process do you have before you have to take their physical fitness test, and what standards do you have to pass with? While I am in pretty good health, exercise has been lax since I stopped prepping for the Air Force BMT. I also have issues with push-ups, I curse my long skinny arms. I know I could pass the running and sit-up portions of a PRT with a satisfactory to good score with a few weeks of training its the push-up portion that would take me several months to bring up.

A little searching does wonders. This answers more than you have asked, but the answer is thorough and well put together to answer any questions you may have looming.

From the Purdue Website.......Same program at other Universities.

United States Navy Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC) Program

The U.S. Navy provides money for college through the Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC) Program. Qualified Purdue students can earn up to $2,700 per month for 30 months as a full-time student living in the West Lafayette area. An additional $15,000 signing is available for some students. You may apply as early as your sophomore year after completing one academic year of calculus and one academic year of calculus based physics.

Following graduation from Purdue, you will be commissioned as an ensign in the U.S. Navy and serve as a Naval Reactors Engineer in Washington, D.C.; as a Nuclear Power Instructor at the Naval Nuclear Power Training Command in Charleston, South Carolina; or as a Nuclear Trained Officer on board a submarine or aircraft carrier.

Academic Qualifications – Must have completed 2 semesters of Calculus and 2 semesters of Calculus based Physics, G.P.A. of 2.8 and a C average in Calculus and Physics. You can be pursuing any degree.

Physical Qualifications – Must be with the Navy’s height and weight standards. No serious medical problems including asthma, and be able to run 1.5 miles in under 12:30, complete 50 sit-ups and 45 push-ups for men and 30 push-ups for women.
Moral Qualifications – No serious police involvement, and no serious drug use.

Benefits:

* Full salary while completing your degree
    * Full medical and dental coverage as a student
    * While finishing your degree you earn vacation time that carries over to active duty
    * Commissioned as a Naval Officer upon receiving you degree and completing Officer Candidate School (OCS).
    * Guaranteed employment with one of the world’s largest Nuclear Engineering programs
    * Fully funded graduate programs with pay.
    * Leadership position from the start.

Training:

* 13 weeks in Pensacola, Florida where you earn a commission as a Navy Officer.
    * 12 Months of graduate level courses in Nuclear, Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering, Thermodynamics, and Physics
    * 3 years running a Nuclear Power facility and managing a large staff of very bright Nuclear trained enlisted members of the Navy

From Another website:

Age: At least 19 and less than 29 years of age at the time of commissioning. Waivers may be considered on a case basis for those who would not exceed 31 at commissioning.
********************************************************************************************************
I put this info up to help anyone else regarding NUPOC.

As you can see, it is a college program for those currently in school.  In your case, you already have multiple degrees.  So........all you really need to do is to contact a Navy Officer Recruiter and tell him you want to join the Navy Nuclear program.  You will then be off to OCS==>Nuclear Power School==>Protoype==>Basic Sub School==>USS Submarine (If you want to be Submariner)    -OR-   OCS==>Surface Warfare Officer School==>Conventional Surface Ship for initial sea tour ==>Nuclear Power School==>Protoype==>USS Aircraft Carrier (If you want to be nuclear Surface Warfare Officer).

The other question I had is how much consideration is given to the school and program you are in? My school isn't well known or in my opinion very difficult. I fear my good GPA might mean less due to my school. That said I am pretty we have had a student go to the Navy as part of the NUPOC program just before I started back but I think he triple majored or something in physics, math, and computer science.
I am not familiar with your school, or the school mentioned in the upcoming link, but I can tell you my school is relatively small as well. Definitely not a deterrent (assuming your school is comparable to this)

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22505.0.html

I am mainly interested in the NUPOC program for the path it will lead to after graduation, while having the Navy pay for the rest of my school would be nice, I am not dependent on that situation.
As I said before, you are answering your own life question here. Your main reason to join is already your biggest reason to reconsider. Join the Navy Nukes because it is what you want to do, not because you think you'll land a sweet paying job afterwards. IF you want to join the lucrative world of nuclear power, there are plenty of plants that would like to hire local people and train them to specific needs. I may be wrong, but from my casual perousing of the jobs section of the site (which you could've done) an operator with sufficient OT make more money in the private nuclear industry than, say, someone like me, who could potentially have a ME degree 15 years removed with 15 years of nuclear officer experience.

Here is a link to the first post I had on the site about private sector qualifications leaving the service after NUPOC.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,36698.msg174378.html#msg174378

Interesting reply pertaining to your specific needs:

• After how many years of being an active Naval Nuclear Officer will be equivalent experience to obtain a Nuclear Engineering job in the private sector (aka is it at all equivalent to Nuclear engineering degree)  
Unless you're NRE, then none.  Not equivalent.

If the physical aspect is the only thing I end up lacking in can I be accepted per say without receiving benefits till I meet the physical training requirements?

Not completely sure, but If I had to guess I would say no.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2013, 01:54 by Bergeron37 »

Offline shini

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2013, 03:16 »
Thank you for all the information and concerns with my reasons for wanting to go into the Nuke program. I may not have been clear, but I want to serve the military that is my primary motivator. I wanted to go into the air force as I initially was going to enlist with the AF. The AF not being an option to me, I started looking for other ways I could serve and I found the nuclear program with the Navy.

I have no notions that the NUPOC program would somehow just be something to do before going off to some other program in the Navy or any other branch.

I also don't want to use the Navy for personal gain where I get in and expect to get right back out with all this great training and experience they have given me. I do however subscribe to the belief that all of my decisions should be in the furtherance of some long term goal or calling. I personally am highly interested in aerospace design, specifically propulsion and energy production, hence my interest in the nuclear program. Now if I don't get into the nuclear program will I still join probably, but I am not going to just jump without knowing what I am going to get. It is very noble to serve and I have respect for anyone who serves their country. I have also seen people mostly enlisted alike who are going back to school for something completely different than what they were doing in the military because they just jumped to get in and end up hating it. I can do a good job at anything, but I will do a better job if I am doing something that aligns with my personal goals and challenges me.

As for the physical requirements I think I alluded to the fact that I didn't know exactly what would be required, but I do. The info in the Purdue website, lists the satisfactory PRT score requirements for the Navy but it doesn't specify when you will be tested. Is passing the PRT required before they will start considering someone for the program, or will they do all the considerations for candidates understanding and down the line somewhere say you need to pass this test and we can accept you.

Either way I am starting an exercise routine because its healthy and I should have been doing it anyways, and I know that if I want to be accepted at some point I will need to pass the PRT at some point and the sooner the better. The only concern would be when I should aspire to apply, either train now and apply later, or apply now while training.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: NUPOC program requirements and considerations
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2013, 05:29 »
NUPOC has nothing to do with Physics outside of the few weeks you rehash intro physics in NNPS. Beyond that, you will never use physics as a sub officer or nuke swo, unless your Nav is bored on deployment and tells you to derive the formula the RLGNs (not a nuke component) use to track ship's position in a week long checkout.

For sub or swo, school doesn't really matter as long as it's regionally accredited.

Not sure what career you want post-Navy, but if it's not in nuclear power ops then NUPOC doesn't offer anything over any other military officer job except bonuses, which the Navy will get its money's worth and then some.

The physical fitness requirements are easy. Just work out 6 days a week for a month, put down the cheesy poofs, and you'll pass. You can find the requirements by googling Navy prt and looking up your age group. They are the same Navy wide.

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2013, 09:06 »
Thank you for all the information and concerns with my reasons for wanting to go into the Nuke program. I may not have been clear, but I want to serve the military that is my primary motivator. I wanted to go into the air force as I initially was going to enlist with the AF. The AF not being an option to me
I wouldn't be so sure. Some of the more experienced users may be able to help more, but if we knew more about the situation that you had it may help. I can't imagine you were so far into it to break all ties with the AF. If you broke contract that may be different... But if it was just a "promise" to your recruiter you may have another option. Find an officer recruiter and you may find a similar officer pipeline for the AF. Not deterring you from NUPOC, just saying that if you had initial interest in AF, that won't go away and is worth trying to explore every possible option. AF is especially useful for the aerospace industry I would imagine.

I can do a good job at anything, but I will do a better job if I am doing something that aligns with my personal goals and challenges me.
The great goal of our generation, and our past generations rat race I am sure.

As for the physical requirements I think I alluded to the fact that I didn't know exactly what would be required, but I do. The info in the Purdue website, lists the satisfactory PRT score requirements for the Navy but it doesn't specify when you will be tested. Is passing the PRT required before they will start considering someone for the program, or will they do all the considerations for candidates understanding and down the line somewhere say you need to pass this test and we can accept you.
I talked to my Chief the other day and I believe he said perform those requirements twice a year. May have said once, but I don't think so.
Either way I am starting an exercise routine because its healthy and I should have been doing it anyways, and I know that if I want to be accepted at some point I will need to pass the PRT at some point and the sooner the better. The only concern would be when I should aspire to apply, either train now and apply later, or apply now while training.
Being in good shape now will only benefit you.

the Navy will get its money's worth and then some.
Sign me up  ;)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2013, 09:58 »
Beyond that, you will never use physics as a sub officer or nuke swo,

REALLY!?!  You should be using physics everyday!!!
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:02 »
It's worth noting that if the AF recruiter wasn't blowing smoke and you backed out of a commissioning program at a point where it would affect your app, it will also affect your Navy application.

You do your initial PRT before you submit the app and then one every fall and spring. If you're really worried about jogging 1.5 miles in 12:30 and doing like 45 pushups and 55 situps, get out more.
REALLY!?!  You should be using physics everyday!!!
Well, I watched those poor saps try to derive Schuler's Oscillations...does that count?
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2013, 11:54 by spekkio »

Offline shini

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:53 »
Yes Bergeron37 I was far enough along that they would require a waiver that apparently the AF doesn't ever grant. It also is less of an desire to specifically serve in the AF and more of an, I told them I would before if there was an option available I was going to pursue that first".

Also spekkio I am less worried about jogging, and sit-ups, but I have always had issues with push-ups. As for the deal with the Air Force was never military service and doesn't have to be disclosed, and only in very rare circumstances do other branches require the waiver for other branches. It also was an enlisted program not an commissioning program. While there is some chance for it to cause a problem I doubt it will.

I will be contacting a recruiter tomorrow to see what he says and start the process.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:57 »
Do a starting strength routine at your school's gym, supplemented with a running/ab routine on off days. In 6 weeks you won't have issues with pushups anymore.

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2013, 08:33 »
I also have issues with push-ups, I curse my long skinny arms. I know I could pass the running and sit-up portions of a PRT with a satisfactory to good score with a few weeks of training its the push-up portion that would take me several months to bring up.

I am 6'3" and have been "lanky" most of my life so I can relate to skinny arms. However, a few months into strength training, I may have looked "lanky" (noticeably more toned and defined however), but I was lifting more weight than some meat heads and doing a more difficult regiment. Needless to say, don't use that as an excuse. Apply yourself for a few weeks and push-ups should be merely a warmup for what you should be able to do.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?