Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu leaving in 2 days- some questions.  

Author Topic: leaving in 2 days- some questions.  (Read 4183 times)

futurenuke1

leaving in 2 days- some questions.
« on: Aug 03, 2013, 10:42 »
Hello,
I've been in the delayed entry program for almost a year. I'm finally about to leave in two days and was hoping I could get a few questions answered that I haven't been able to find through searches.  Let me first say I've been through this site a million times ever since I've signed my contract, and would like to thank all those that provide information to future sailors as this has truly been a valuable resource for me.

A little about me, Im 23 years old, 1400 SATS, 99ASVAB, 75/80 NAPT.  I dropped out of college after my freshman year due to a lack of motivation, an atrocious GPA, and no financial support. My poor grades were almost entirely due to laziness, immaturity, and a lack of motivation as opposed to aptitude.  After working in the real world for several years now I've matured quite a bit, and have never been more motivated to start the nuke program.

1) This could be a stupid question- I've had an interest of working on submarines as opposed to aircraft carriers, but a major worry for me is that I am 6'6'' and don't want to develop scoliosis, or have to be permanently ducking through hallways for months at a time.  I am obviously prepared for discomfort and sacrifices on subs, but would being this tall automatically rule out subs for any sane person?

2) In Charleston, am I going to be the oldest person there?  I understand that people who join the nuke program can often come right out of high school, but I'm curious if the majority of students in the pipeline are over or under 21. 

3)  I know STA-21 has been talked to death on this website, but I'll ask anyway. Although I'm not joining solely to get entry into STA-21 it is something I'm definitely going to strive for.  Having already taken up to calculus 3, and several calculus bases physics courses I feel I may be at an advantage over anyone coming out of high school.  On the flip side, although I learned a great deal in college my GPA was terrible.  Hypothetically if I graduated first in my class would that guarantee me a spot in the program? In addition is it possible to apply to STA-21 twice while in the pipeline?  For example, once during A-School or power school before June, and then once next year at the end of prototype?  I apologize if I have the timeline confused, but it's my understanding STA-21 takes applications once a year in June, so it's possible to get two in before graduating prototype.  Feel free to mock me if this question makes no sense...

4) Last question, my grandma wants to come to visit me after I finish bootcamp.  Its about a ten hour trip for her and I told her I wont know how much time I would have off between bootcamp and flying to Charleston.  I dont want her to drive all that way, and then I have to leave for Charleston that very day.  Does anyone know how long liberty is between bootcamp graduation and when I leave?  Will I be able to give her any information about bootcamp graduation after I'm there as it's my understanding I wont have a phone?  I apologize for this question, but my recruiter has been essentially useless in answering this for me.

Overall, I truly can't wait to ship out and get started.  A year in DEP truly felt like an eternity.  Thanks again to anyone who replies, and a big thank you to all who serve.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: leaving in 2 days- some questions.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2013, 01:33 »
1) Don't go subs. You are too tall. I had a 6'6" mechanic. He was permanently hunched over on the sub. Also if you're over like 5'10" you can't fit in a rack and straighten your legs.

2) Maybe, maybe not.

3) There are no guarantees for STA-21.

4) I'll leave this one for others.

Offline bb07hhs

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2013, 09:46 »
2) You won't be the oldest person. I came in the same age as you. I knew some people that came in the pipeline at 25, 26 years old. That being said, a large majority of the people you'll encounter in the pipeline will be in the 18-21 age range.

3) STA-21 is not guaranteed. The application process takes awhile from what I've seen with people I know that put in for it. There is paperwork to do and interviews as well. Understand that many people always talk about STA-21 and want to get picked up for it but there are a very limited number of slots.

4) You'll find out when you have to leave towards the end of bootcamp. Graduation will take place in the morning and should finish somewhere around the 1000-1200 time (I forget exactly when mine was done). You'll get your liberty card and are required to be back no later than 2100 that night, if I remember correctly. I found out that I was flying to Charleston that night. So, I returned from liberty around 2000, finished packing my seabag, departed for the airport around 2300 and ultimately flew out around 0300. Some people flew out the next day. 

Druid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2013, 05:23 »
1) I'm 6' 5" and went surface (CVN-70) and I still have a scars on my scalp from hitting it bad enough three different times. Hit my head a bunch more times than that. Went to S1W prototype and it was TIGHT in-hull. Couldn't imagine doing it for 4.

2) Lots of old guys (25+) went through with me. I'd say the hump in the age distribution curve was right around 21 back in the mid-80's. Can't speak to today.

Good luck.

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2013, 07:02 »
1) I am only 6'3" and during my VIP trip on an SSN I hit my head more than once. I am not uncoordinated or what have you either, I ducked my head where I could and avoided many more potential smacks. The stairs gave me some trouble, very low clearance. Needless to say the crew on board had a few laughs. I can't imagine being 6'6" and keeping good posture unless you are standing still.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?