Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Equipment Operator positions  

Author Topic: Equipment Operator positions  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Nukette

• Light User
Equipment Operator positions
« on: Aug 05, 2013, 07:06 »
So I have decided this is where I want to start with my career.  I was working as an NSO over at San Onofre, and I think we all know what has happened there.  I was on scholarship with San Onofre on their nuclear energy technology program (which was not finished due to the program not offering all of the classes we needed)  My goal is to become a senior reactor operator.  My question is, how do I make my resume and application to these jobs stick out?  I am sure there are hundreds of people after these positions and I so badly want to stand out above and beyond.  I already passed the POSS and BMST last year for the same company.  This all probably sounds so vague, but this is what I want, and I will take any advice or suggestions I can.  Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2013, 07:13 by kmatney »

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
Re: Equipment Operator positions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2013, 04:55 »
I'm sorry to hear about the nuclear technology program falling through.

1. Accept you are not going to become an SRO locally.  You must travel.
2. Check utility sites daily for AO/EO/NLO jobs (this is the starter job that leads to RO/SRO).
3. Apply for said jobs.
4. Apply for non-NLO jobs for a foot in the door (security at another place?  outage help)
5. Consider finishing a degree elsewhere.  Bismark State College offers a 2 year degree and Excelsior offers a 4 year degree.
6. A 4-year hard science based degree'd individual is often eligible for "Instant SRO" positions.
7. Consider the Nuclear Navy.  Some utilities seem to hire them exclusively.
8. Both Nuclear Navy experience AND 4-year science based degrees help individuals "stand out above and beyond".

I was hired into the industry on a 2 year degree and internship experience.  Many places were only taking 4 year degreed individuals, people with nuclear navy backgrounds and those with industry experience.  As it is competetive, I had to move far away from "home" after my closest plants did not extend an offer.  I could have waited for another hiring cycle ~2 years away, but I wanted to get my career started.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2013, 06:59 »
Thank you for the advice!  I have an interview Friday with Exelon for an EO/AO position so if this doesn't go through, I will definitely look into those schools to finish my degree.  What did you get hired in as and what position are you in now? 

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2013, 06:46 »
Hey, good luck.

I was hired in as a NLO (same as AO/EO).
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline Redleader

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2013, 10:15 »
Try to go in as an aux operator/NLO. I can tell you from experience that instant SRO's are not looked on in a good light by fellow operators. Put your time in.

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:29 »
That is the goal!  I just had an interview with Exelon for an EO position and that is what I told them.  I wanted to start as an EO so I can learn and do it all, and know exaclty how everything works before I am an SRO.  Hope that was a good response to the question they asked! 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?