Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NPS Instructors

Author Topic: NPS Instructors  (Read 18468 times)

Newt

NPS Instructors
« on: Dec 03, 2004, 04:06 »
I am graduating with an Engineering degree in June and was interested in becoming an instructor at the NPS.  I talked with a recruiter about it, but I wanted to get more info from another source.  Does anyone have any information on this career path?  I would appreciate any comments on pros and cons of this job.  I am specifically attracted to this job because I enjoy teaching. 

The recruiter mentioned that this position was for 4 years only.  What do the majority of instructors do after their 4 years?  Do most continue in the Navy in other areas or do they leave for civilian life?

The other option I am looking at is as a Naval Reactors Engineer.  Of these two, which has the better long-term opportunities?

CharlieRock

Re: NPS Instructors
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2004, 05:44 »
This position is referred to as a Direct Input Officer (DIO).  DIOs are assigned primarily to Nuclear Power School and teach enlisted and some officer courses.  The upside?  Most DIOs are NUPOCs (nuclear program officer candidates) and have joined prior to their junior year of college.  Which measn they were paid as E-5s during their junior year and E-6 during their senior year(full pay and benefits).  Some are actually paid as E-7s. This is a good chunk of change for doing nothing. Then you don't even have to go to sea - just teach at NPS for 4 years.  The downside?  No real respect.  the other folks that teach at NPS are sea-returnee officers and senior enlisted.  You are essentially a non-qual - no pin, never qualified on a reactor plant.  The students scope out this fact quickly. This is not to say a lot of DIOs aren't competent instructors - most are.

What do DIOs do after 4 years?  Very few (<20%) continue in the Navy.  Your designator while you are a DIO is something like 1140 - Fleet Support, Human Resources.  There isn't a big community to move out into.  That means you have to convert to another community - and you won't be as competitive as a guy who just spent 4 years as a SWO.

ODiesel

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:51 »
It is true that students tend to respect a sea-returnee enlisted instructor more than a DIO. This is based on the simple fact that if someone has actually done something, they can teach it better than someone who has only studied how to do it. Operational experiance is how a majority of nukes actually learn how to be nukes. The theory is great. It's necessary for safe operation, but the first time you are on watch by yourself you will gain a wealth of operations knowlege. Concepts begin to make sense when you see how the plant actually reponds to various evolutions...

Before being dubbed Direct Input Officers, werent they Direct Input Limited Duty Officers??  ;D

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:55 »
It is true that students tend to respect a sea-returnee enlisted instructor more than a DIO. This is based on the simple fact that if someone has actually done something, they can teach it better than someone who has only studied how to do it. Operational experiance is how a majority of nukes actually learn how to be nukes. The theory is great. It's necessary for safe operation, but the first time you are on watch by yourself you will gain a wealth of operations knowlege. Concepts begin to make sense when you see how the plant actually reponds to various evolutions...

Before being dubbed Direct Input Officers, werent they Direct Input Limited Duty Officers??  ;D

First, the D.I.L.D.O. thing is an urban myth, fabricated out of whole cloth.  The evidence of this is clear:  almost every class from Mare Island to Orlando to Charleston has someone who claims to have been told by an officer (usually female) "I am a Direct Input Limited Duty Officer."  Some of the stories have the officer actually spelling out the acronym.  A sure sign of an urban myth is that lots and lots of people were witnesses to the same exact thing at different times and places with only minor changes to the details.
There is no such thing as a Direct Input Limited Duty Officer.  DIO's and LDO's are too different creatures. 
A Supply officer on board a sub is an LDO.  An instructor at NPS is a Line Officer.  That makes no sense at all, because the Porkchop will still be on a combatant ship while the teacher might be at risk for a paper cut.  But, that's the way it is.

Second, I actually preferred the DIO's teaching me things like Math, Physics, Chemistry...etc.  Even though they were not experienced sailors, they did have actual college degrees, often in the subjects they were teaching.

Third, the DIO's and the NUPOC's were not the same.  DIO's were there to teach - period.  Even though they still had the Admiral's interview, they were not the same as the officers who would eventually serve at sea.  The NUPOC instructors were only asigned to teach (usually pre-NPS) until their classes formed.  Some of them were actually drops awaiting orders.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

CharlieRock

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 08:21 »
Not to nitpick but Sub Chops (Supply Officers) are generally not LDOs.  They are staff officers as they belong to the Supply Corp.  Many LDOs (like nuke LDOs) are line officers in a limited duty role (hence LDO).

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2004, 09:38 »
Yeah, but DILDO is so much more fun to snicker about.

I thought the math and heat transfer DIO teachers were better, but enjoyed my MTMO, ETMO, and CMR enlisted teachers.  Besides, DIO's have no sea stories to waste time like the sea returnees.

In my opinion, having a degree is great for teaching theory, but no so great for teaching steam plant ops.

E Club Orlando wings....mmmmmmmm (ok they weren't that good, but I ate them every day).

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:49 »
Not to nitpick but Sub Chops (Supply Officers) are generally not LDOs.  They are staff officers as they belong to the Supply Corp.  Many LDOs (like nuke LDOs) are line officers in a limited duty role (hence LDO).

Yeah, I got those a little confused didn't I?  Still, there is a distinct difference between a DIO and an LDO.  My classmates and I came to the conclusion that they only made the DIO's officers so that we would have to pay attention to them.  If they were civilians (and the really were) they could not actually give us orders.

While they had no sea stories to tell, they could kill a little time with other stuff.  My Math instructor was Lt. Matannin.  He was a real brain-on-a-stick kind of guy until he started telling us what Woodstock was really like.  I could never picture him as a division officer or an OOD, but the guy knew mathematics like nobody.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2004, 01:27 »
You guys actually remember these people?? I turned 21 two months into power school in Orlando, the last 18 weeks was a blurr.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:44 »
I nailed my math instructor, so of course I remember her :)

theshadowprocess

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2004, 06:54 »
Beercourt, My RP instructor was a sub ET2 who got out, received a degree, got back in as DIO, and had orders to a target as an LDO. I suppose that might make him a DI LD O?

CharlieRock

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2004, 07:31 »
If he got back in as a DIO, then he can't be an LDO.  LDOs are strictly enlisted to officer.  They describe a particular community of officers.  DIO isn't an 'official' community name but is an NR specific term for how the officers are acquired.  If he was a DIO and then went to a carrier, he was a straight up line officer.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2004, 08:51 »
I nailed my math instructor, so of course I remember her :)

Such a beautiful love story, brings a tear to my eye ...  ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2004, 11:43 »

Such a beautiful love story, brings a tear to my eye ...  ;)

LOL thanks young lady. Just remember, if you need any help getting through the program you have lots of experience here, so ask if you need anything.

And good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?