Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I want to go on the road
honeypot

Author Topic: I want to go on the road  (Read 66078 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: I want to go on the road
« Reply #50 on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:21 »
....Almost forget we all know a tech who took off a year for the Peace Corp  ;) 

c'mon Barry, that's "Corps" not "Corp",....

it's insidious and it's contagious,...

you need an inoculation,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: Aug 10, 2013, 10:41 »
Just keep an address somehow some way in the US.  Friends of mine live in Thailand and the PI.  They also have addresses in the US for things like Unemployment.   

Whoa, I think you probably misunderstood. That would be fraud and is a federal offense. Nobody would be that stupid.

Offline Dagon

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Aug 11, 2013, 01:26 »

You managed to delete one of the switches for the quote box, I put it back.

To respond hit the insert quote button which you have figured out already, make sure you type outside the quote switches they are visible in the "Post Reply" mode. To add additional quotes just scroll down the thread while in "Post Reply" and hit the quote button on the message you want to add to the box but in this case the box comes up wherever the cursor is so make sure it is where you want the new quote box to be.

Got it thanks...

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Aug 11, 2013, 01:52 »
I couldnt get the quotes to work. Tried to quote where someone said you could claim unemployment while living overseas [oops]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #54 on: Aug 11, 2013, 04:05 »
I couldn't get the quotes to work. Tried to quote where someone said you could claim unemployment while living overseas [oops]

Go to the thread with the message you want to link and hit the "Quote" button in the message.

Copy the entire contents of the "Reply Box" switches and all.

Cancel that "Reply Box".

Go to the thread you want to link that message to and open a "Reply Box" by hitting the "Quote" button in the message you want to reply to or hit the "Reply" button at the end of the thread.

Paste the message to be quoted in the new "Reply Box" adding any new text outside the quote switches.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #55 on: Aug 11, 2013, 04:29 »
Just keep an address somehow some way in the US.  Friends of mine live in Thailand and the PI.  They also have addresses in the US for things like Unemployment.  When you work an outage next time find someone who does it and ask them, there are  quite a few.

Whoa, I think you probably misunderstood. That would be fraud and is a federal offense. Nobody would be that stupid.

No I didn't misunderstand, plenty of people have dual addresses.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #56 on: Aug 11, 2013, 04:30 »
Or second homes.

Fermi2

« Reply #57 on: Aug 11, 2013, 05:45 »
We just refinanced our home. I'm waiting for Hyperspring to tell me where I am going.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #58 on: Aug 11, 2013, 06:22 »
We just refinanced our home. I'm waiting for Hyperspring to tell me where I am going.

I know that they are talking about multiple residential homes but on the road consider a motor home or fifth wheel. I traveled in a fifth wheel for a number of years and one of my brothers who is still on the road travels in a very nice motor home that he figures pays for itself in the end. Bringing your own home has a cathartic angle as well, you will be living in and bringing more of your own stuff with you. I find that the people in the parks are much more friendly in general.
   I had a home in Illinois for 15 years that I probably only spent 7 years in but with outages being predominately in the spring and fall I got home in time to plant my garden and then harvest just before I hit the road for the fall outages then home over most of the Holidays.
   I made good use of my time traveling. Anytime I was close to DC (especially Calvert) I would pick one of the Smithsonian museums and spend a weekend day there. Each facility probably has something of interest in proximity. At Turkey Point even on 7-12s we got out to see the Everglades and the Coral Castle. I made a couple of annual Turkey Testicle Festivals at a bar near Byron.  8) I could go on for a while but I think you get the idea we found something at or on the way to each facility even if it was just a giant superman in Metropolis Illinois.

Good luck and enjoy.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2013, 06:23 by Marlin »

Fermi2

« Reply #59 on: Aug 11, 2013, 07:03 »
My wife is going with me. I think most my contacts will be 12 weeks to a year. I need to work as much as possible because my daughter still has 2 years of college. My wife wants to sell our house and buy  2 bedroom Condo in Panama Beach City to use as a home base. I gotta work about 10 or 12 more years.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 11, 2013, 08:55 »
My wife is going with me. I think most my contacts will be 12 weeks to a year. I need to work as much as possible because my daughter still has 2 years of college. My wife wants to sell our house and buy  2 bedroom Condo in Panama Beach City to use as a home base. I gotta work about 10 or 12 more years.

I like that Idea....Mary and I will go take care of it a couple of prime weeks of the year.... A great sacrifice out of the goodness of my heart......   Uhhhh the fridge will be stocked right???

Fermi2

« Reply #61 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:15 »
Why not. It'll be free!

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #62 on: Aug 11, 2013, 11:18 »
Sweet!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Aug 12, 2013, 01:21 »
Don't forget to consider buying a 5th Wheel or Motorhome!  Sorry I didn't do it sooner, although with 12week to 1 year contracts renting homes might be better....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #64 on: Aug 12, 2013, 02:31 »
Don't forget to consider buying a 5th Wheel or Motorhome!  Sorry I didn't do it sooner, although with 12week to 1 year contracts renting homes might be better....
   I know that they are talking about multiple residential homes but on the road consider a motor home or fifth wheel. I traveled in a fifth wheel for a number of years and one of my brothers who is still on the road travels in a very nice motor home that he figures pays for itself in the end. Bringing your own home has a cathartic angle as well, you will be living in and bringing more of your own stuff with you. I find that the people in the parks are much more friendly in general.   I had a home in Illinois for 15 years that I probably only spent 7 years in but with outages being predominately in the spring and fall I got home in time to plant my garden and then harvest just before I hit the road for the fall outages then home over most of the Holidays.
   I made good use of my time traveling. Anytime I was close to DC (especially Calvert) I would pick one of the Smithsonian museums and spend a weekend day there. Each facility probably has something of interest in proximity. At Turkey Point even on 7-12s we got out to see the Everglades and the Coral Castle. I made a couple of annual Turkey Testicle Festivals at a bar near Byron.  8) I could go on for a while but I think you get the idea we found something at or on the way to each facility even if it was just a giant superman in Metropolis Illinois.

Good luck and enjoy.

Two old road whores can't be wrong BZ.  8)

[beer]

Fermi2

« Reply #65 on: Aug 12, 2013, 03:53 »
We'll see after my first job which I hope comes soon.

Chimera

« Reply #66 on: Aug 13, 2013, 12:33 »
Set up a bank account at a bank you expect to run into while on the road - like US Bank or Bank of America.  Use that account for your per diem and road expenses instead of your primary account where your paycheck will be electronically deposited.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #67 on: Aug 19, 2013, 12:25 »
Set up a bank account at a bank you expect to run into while on the road - like US Bank or Bank of America.  Use that account for your per diem and road expenses instead of your primary account where your paycheck will be electronically deposited.
When choosing a bank for Direct Deposit of per diem, analyze the ATMs which a bank card is able to use without fee.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #68 on: Aug 19, 2013, 03:04 »
When choosing a bank for Direct Deposit of per diem, analyze the ATMs which a bank card is able to use without fee.

Most stores now have the cash back option when making a purchase with your debit card. Buy something you need and hit the max on cash back for your walking around money. Say goodbye to ATM service fees.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #69 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:56 »
Most stores now have the cash back option when making a purchase with your debit card. Buy something you need and hit the max on cash back for your walking around money. Say goodbye to ATM service fees.
That works well for your WAM, and will work just as well with a card that doesn't cost you for tapping the ATM to putting a little heft in your wallet for the weekend. Many brick and mortar banks have no fee costs for other bank ATMs, most are enrolled in card programs that keep you out of the fee charges.  EBanks as well as brick and mortars often not only have no fee costs, but rebate any fees taken by other banks' ATMs. Something to look at when designating an account for DD of per diem.   

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #70 on: Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 »
What wasn't accurate Wraith??, I will correct it and file it away in my brain.
I'm sorry! [dunce] What you daid was right! I must have read it wrong the first time! Feel silly now! ::)
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #71 on: Aug 26, 2013, 01:58 »

most of the time the cash back amount doesn't qualify as a stripper roll....

[dowave] ROFL ROFL ROFL
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2013, 02:08 »

[dowave] ROFL ROFL ROFL
Thanks for relieving a stressful day of resume updating on a 35+ year work history!
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #73 on: Aug 26, 2013, 03:29 »

[dowave] ROFL ROFL ROFL

Most cashiers will give it to you all in ones, if that is your preference. ;)

How you spend your day off is your business.  :-X

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #74 on: Aug 26, 2013, 03:33 »
Quote from: HouseDad on Today at 12:58:38

Most cashiers will give it to you all in ones, if that is your preference. ;)

How you spend your day off is your business.  :-X

It's charity -
Helping single mothers, one dollar at a time... 
 :P
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?