Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Apply to NUPOC w/ history of depression w/medication. honeypot

Author Topic: Apply to NUPOC w/ history of depression w/medication.  (Read 3670 times)

Offline rodiraskol

• Lurker
I would like to know how this will affect my chances of being accepted.  Thus far, I've only spoken to my recruiter over the phone* and when I mentioned this in the course of him going through the medical checklist he said it may delay me being able to go in for my physical, can anyone shed some light on this?  Also, is it possible this will hurt my chances of acceptance?  I took the antidepressant medication for about a month, 6 months ago.

*Is this normal?  I'm back home for the summer and went to speak to a local officer recruiter, and when he found out I was attending college in another state, he told me I needed to deal with the recruiter assigned to that region.

Additional questions:

I have a 3.28 GPA (admittedly down from a 3.5 after a less-than-stellar Spring 2013), is this competitive?

Would anyone happen to know what the acceptance rate is for NUPOC applicants?

I have been told that Co-oping is highly discouraged due to the fact that it delays graduation.  I very much want to be a nuc, but I also may have some co-op offers this semester.  If I were to hold off on applying to NUPOC until I near graduation (so that I could co-op without restriction) would being an older candidate help or hurt?

Could someone give me a rough outline of the application process?

Any information about the life of a Carrier or Sub nuc would be welcome.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2013, 08:30 by Rennhack »

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions

All my answers are from knowledge aqcuired on this site. Your registration time is less than a half hour before your first post. Use the search. Check some of my last posts I posted some useful links, granted only once I believe. Look at posts of people you find said something useful on a thread you found via search. etc.

I would like to know how this will affect my chances of being accepted.  Thus far, I've only spoken to my recruiter over the phone* and when I mentioned this in the course of him going through the medical checklist he said it may delay me being able to go in for my physical, can anyone shed some light on this?  Also, is it possible this will hurt my chances of acceptance?  I took the antidepressant medication for about a month, 6 months ago.
Can't answer this definitively, but I believe I have read over some similar stories on the site. I think I saw someone taking medication for anxiety or something or other.

*Is this normal?  I'm back home for the summer and went to speak to a local officer recruiter, and when he found out I was attending college in another state, he told me I needed to deal with the recruiter assigned to that region.
I would say go to the officer recruiter closed to where you spend the most time (presumably school). I go to school in RI, my recruiter is from Boston area. I live near Baltimore MD.

I have a 3.28 GPA (admittedly down from a 3.5 after a less-than-stellar Spring 2013), is this competitive?
Yes for subs and SWO(N). Not competitive for instructor or naval reactor engineer. This is assuming you are in a competitive major, e.g. engineering, physics, etc. Anything with calculus based physics and calculus. Any grades C and below be prepared to answer why you underperformed, what you did wrong, and content based questions to see your actual comprehension. I would say that would be around phone interview/interview time. 

Would anyone happen to know what the acceptance rate is for NUPOC applicants?
My recruiter said ~70%. Not sure where the number came from.

I have been told that Co-oping is highly discouraged due to the fact that it delays graduation.  I very much want to be a nuc, but I also may have some co-op offers this semester.  If I were to hold off on applying to NUPOC until I near graduation (so that I could co-op without restriction) would being an older candidate help or hurt?

There is an age limit. Check qualifications from search and such. But as far as Co-op goes, that is money you will be missing out on if you potentially got awarded the NUPOC. Up to you. As far as if the Co-op will be more useful experience when you get out of the service over a conventional internship in a civilian setting, I am unsure.

Could someone give me a rough outline of the application process?
Search search search....

Any information about the life of a Carrier or Sub nuc would be welcome.
This is something I have asked in my past posts. Very useful responses.

Samabby

" I took the antidepressant medication for about a month, 6 months ago."

IMO, far too little time has passed.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?