Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC > SUBS > EDO? +Links  

Author Topic: NUPOC > SUBS > EDO? +Links  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
NUPOC > SUBS > EDO? +Links
« on: Aug 09, 2013, 08:03 »
I have read the following posts on the site about EDO:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,35672.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33437.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15051.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18514.0.html

I have also found some really useful PDF slideshows about the basics of the community:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/rlstaffcorps/engineering/Documents/ED%20Recruiting%20Brief.pdf
https://www.navalengineers.org/ProceedingsDocs/ASNE%20Day%202012/Presentations/Orzalli.pdf

I am not sure when the first slideshow was made, but the second was in 2012.

As I understand it, there are a certain number of EDO or EDO(N) positions available per year. That being said I know that I may not be able to get into the program, but with a masters in my sights as a goal for being in the navy, I would like it to be available to pursue if at all possible. As of right now, with my NUPOC application being just submitted, I have subs as my first choice. I am equally motivated to go to surface or subs but I needed to put a choice. I like the comradery of subs and only nuclear tours. I steered away from SWO(N) because of the order or nuclear training and having conventional tours. Note that I originally wanted surface before learning that..

Here is the most useful slide I found from aforementioned slideshow:

Two variants of the ED Option program
Surface ED Option
NROTC, USNA, STA-21, MMR or OCS
–YG 2008 & Prior - Officers may request to exercise their option upon completion of the following prerequisites:
–YG 2009 & Future - Officers will automatically become EDs upon completion of the following prerequisites:
-Surface Warfare qualification
-Within 6 months of promotion to LT
-Favorable record review
-May apply to remain SWO

Submarine ED Option
NROTC or USNA only
–Start career as a Submarine Officer
–Nuclear Power School and Prototype followed by SOBC
–Three year Division Officer Tour on a Submarine
–Earn dolphins and have solid performance at sea
–At PRD from boat, PCS orders to Postgraduate School (technical degree*)
–Serve as a Submarine Department Head at sea
–Execute ED Option (officer’s choice)

My question lies with the red text. I don't see NUPOC as an option for either of them. If I were to continue subs via NUPOC, would I have no chance later on for the ED program? Should I switch to SWO(N)? And if I could do subs and SWO(N) I would, but I am told to make a choice; I am simply asking which is best for possibility of ED program. If I am pointed at as a NUB so be it ,lol, at least I put some useful links together  8)

*Note* I am of Hispanic descent. Although I never use this as a personal trait, reason for ascension into anything, etc., but everywhere I look there seems to be a "diversity plan" or something along those lines...Like SEGA I saw was for HBCUs (maybe?)
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2013, 08:14 by Bergeron37 »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUPOC > SUBS > EDO? +Links
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2013, 09:31 »
I have read the following posts on the site about EDO:

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,35672.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33437.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15051.0.html
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18514.0.html

I have also found some really useful PDF slideshows about the basics of the community:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/rlstaffcorps/engineering/Documents/ED%20Recruiting%20Brief.pdf
https://www.navalengineers.org/ProceedingsDocs/ASNE%20Day%202012/Presentations/Orzalli.pdf

I am not sure when the first slideshow was made, but the second was in 2012.

As I understand it, there are a certain number of EDO or EDO(N) positions available per year. That being said I know that I may not be able to get into the program, but with a masters in my sights as a goal for being in the navy, I would like it to be available to pursue if at all possible. As of right now, with my NUPOC application being just submitted, I have subs as my first choice. I am equally motivated to go to surface or subs but I needed to put a choice. I like the comradery of subs and only nuclear tours. I steered away from SWO(N) because of the order or nuclear training and having conventional tours. Note that I originally wanted surface before learning that..

Here is the most useful slide I found from aforementioned slideshow:

Two variants of the ED Option program
Surface ED Option
NROTC, USNA, STA-21, MMR or OCS
–YG 2008 & Prior - Officers may request to exercise their option upon completion of the following prerequisites:
–YG 2009 & Future - Officers will automatically become EDs upon completion of the following prerequisites:
-Surface Warfare qualification
-Within 6 months of promotion to LT
-Favorable record review
-May apply to remain SWO

Submarine ED Option
NROTC or USNA only
–Start career as a Submarine Officer
–Nuclear Power School and Prototype followed by SOBC
–Three year Division Officer Tour on a Submarine
–Earn dolphins and have solid performance at sea
–At PRD from boat, PCS orders to Postgraduate School (technical degree*)
–Serve as a Submarine Department Head at sea
–Execute ED Option (officer’s choice)

My question lies with the red text. I don't see NUPOC as an option for either of them. If I were to continue subs via NUPOC, would I have no chance later on for the ED program? Should I switch to SWO(N)? And if I could do subs and SWO(N) I would, but I am told to make a choice; I am simply asking which is best for possibility of ED program. If I am pointed at as a NUB so be it ,lol, at least I put some useful links together  8)

*Note* I am of Hispanic descent. Although I never use this as a personal trait, reason for ascension into anything, etc., but everywhere I look there seems to be a "diversity plan" or something along those lines...Like SEGA I saw was for HBCUs (maybe?)
You can apply to lateral transfer to EDO. 

The only way to be an EDO(N) is to be a SWO(N).  It is a special subset o the EDO community.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2013, 11:39 »
Just so you realize, the sub EDO option, if done after the DH tour as outlined, is done after 9-10 years in service. You might not be around for it to happen.

Also, your EDO package might not get accepted depending on manning or performance.

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2013, 01:24 »
You can apply to lateral transfer to EDO. 

The only way to be an EDO(N) is to be a SWO(N).  It is a special subset o the EDO community.

Cheers,
GC

Thanks. Can an EDO work on projects for nuclear powered ships/subs or just EDO(N)? If I were to start my naval career in subs I would like to have a chance to work on them later.

Just so you realize, the sub EDO option, if done after the DH tour as outlined, is done after 9-10 years in service. You might not be around for it to happen.

Also, your EDO package might not get accepted depending on manning or performance.
Thanks for the timeline estimate. I understand it is performance/manning based. Would only motivate my performance (hopefully)  ;)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2013, 05:24 »
You are confused.... EDOs assess 80% of their people as part of the EDO option program, and 20% via lateral transfer.
Those who are commissioned as EDO Option are automatically accepted after meeting the minimum requirements, which for a submarine designated EDO option means completion of a department head tour.  Those who are not EDO option and are sub qualified have to apply via the lateral transfer board, and thus the losing community (submarine community) does get a chance to not forward the package.

break

Thanks. Can an EDO work on projects for nuclear powered ships/subs or just EDO(N)? If I were to start my naval career in subs I would like to have a chance to work on them later.

EDO in a nuclear shipyard will work on nuclear projects.... the only difference is that the EDO(N) will get the nuclear bonus, and the EDO will not.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Re: NUPOC > SUBS > EDO? +Links
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2013, 05:57 »
As an EDO you wouldn't actually work on subs. You'd go to meetings concerning sub projects and will stand CDO for the yard every so often, which may involve touring a boat there checking for safety issues. But most of the time your attention will be in an office building.

Also I didn't articulate it well wrt the lat xfer board... when I said "manning and performance" I meant that the sub community could say "you're on track to be an XO and we're short in your YG, so you can do that or resign."

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2013, 07:58 »
...20% via lateral transfer. Those who are not EDO option and are sub qualified have to apply via the lateral transfer board, and thus the losing community (submarine community) does get a chance to not forward the package.
Also I didn't articulate it well wrt the lat xfer board... when I said "manning and performance" I meant that the sub community could say "you're on track to be an XO and we're short in your YG, so you can do that or resign."
For lateral transfer I found the following:
TransferRequirements for the Lateral Transfer/ Redesignation process:
•Warfare Qualified -Junior LCDR and below
•Proven Technical Competence
•Observed performance above that of peers
Lateral Transfer Board (Twice a Year -June and November)

So to become an EDO, do well above my peers, but not well enough to be indispensable to the sub commmunity? Hmm  ::)

EDO in a nuclear shipyard will work on nuclear projects.... the only difference is that the EDO(N) will get the nuclear bonus, and the EDO will not.
I would assume as well that EDO(N) would be given the "lead" on the more nuclear aspects? I believe you are (or had been) an EDO(N). Can you recall any situations working with other EDOs on a nuclear project? And, this may be far fetched, would requesting EDO in hopes of a nuclear shipyard ease the losing community into agreeing? (Possible thinking of bettering future nuclear fleets or something along those lines?)

As an EDO you wouldn't actually work on subs. You'd go to meetings concerning sub projects and will stand CDO for the yard every so often, which may involve touring a boat there checking for safety issues. But most of the time your attention will be in an office building.
That is what I meant by "working on". I don't think an engineering project manager says he is going to :insertprojecthere: ,  instead of "I'm going to work".  :P

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2013, 08:22 »
So to become an EDO, do well above my peers, but not well enough to be indispensable to the sub commmunity? Hmm  ::)
 I would assume as well that EDO(N) would be given the "lead" on the more nuclear aspects? I believe you are (or had been) an EDO(N). Can you recall any situations working with other EDOs on a nuclear project? And, this may be far fetched, would requesting EDO in hopes of a nuclear shipyard ease the losing community into agreeing? (Possible thinking of bettering future nuclear fleets or something along those lines?)
 That is what I meant by "working on". I don't think an engineering project manager says he is going to :insertprojecthere: ,  instead of "I'm going to work".  :P

Don't worry too much about EDO(N) right now.... it's possible that it won't even exist in the future.  And if it does, then you'll have plenty of time to learn what it is, and isn't, in regards to the "real" EDO community.

Cheers,
GC

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2013, 08:45 »
So to become an EDO, do well above my peers, but not well enough to be indispensable to the sub commmunity? Hmm
As with everything, luck and timing have a lot to do with it. In general you will have more options available to you if you perform well at sea, but if there's a manning shortfall then the community will want to hold onto you.

You posted the minimum requirements to lat xfer. Nowhere does it state that the URL sub community has to let you go.

Again, all of this is more than a decade away if you go subs.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2013, 08:47 by spekkio »

Offline Bergeron37

• Light User
  • City of Champions
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2013, 03:16 »
Appreciate the help as always guys.  +K +K [salute]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?